Garmin 60c

In looking at different review sites on the internet, and posts here

and on Trigo, I think we've decided upon the 60c. Its more than

we were planning on spending, but it seems to be a better unit than the

Legend C. We decided to stick with Garmin since thats what we're

familiar with. I didn't realize that we were going to have to buy the

mapping software seperately, but I think we'll probably wait a little

bit for that, unless we can find a package deal.

Our question is this, if you have the 60c, where did you buy it? It

seems like different sites on the net have it for the cheapest, but I

am a little concerned about buying from a random website. One,

www.buyetretail.com has the GPS for 283 after the rebate. The cheapest

for City Select mapping software seems to be about 85 on ebay. Is this

about right? How much did you pay?

Thanks!

Edited by lindsychris

I agree, I also did not expect to pay that much, but the 60C seemed to do all the stuff I wanted, so back in Feb I bought it from www.tigergps.com for $352.... The map software provided many of the additonal feature (auto routing) so I had to buy that also for $100.....

From everytihing I continue to read in the forums, it was the right choice!! :huh:

Edited by hardwire

I read another post in the GPS garage sale about the buyeretail.com, so we'll stay away from there. I actually found an online coupon for buy.com, and it will end up 285 from there. We've bought stuff from them before, and we've been happy. I guess thats probably where it will come from, unless anyone has seen anything cheaper.

As far as the maps, I think we'll stay away from ebay, most of that software seems to have been used once. So I guess thats another $120!

I've bought most of my stuff from reputable dealers on Ebay.

60C - $300 Brand new in pachage.

CitySelect NA - $100 brand new in Package

TopoUSA - REI retail

Suction Auto Mount - brand new on Ebay - GPScity

Handlebar Mount - Ram Mount - GPScity

External Antenna - Gillson - GPSgeek

Case - GPSgeek

Auto Power cord - Brand new in package - GPScity

I love the unit. It has a good geocaching section and has helped me find both the parking areas and the caches relatively easy. I've had other units that might have worked once I got to the location, but for all the bells and whistles, I very happy with this unit. I use rechargable batteries, and keep a spare set handy. Hasn't ran out of power yet.

Well, we ordered from buy.com. There is a $15.00 coupon off of their $350 price for new users. Also, if you sign up for a buy.com credit card, you get an additional $30.00 off. Add that to the $50 rebate. So, we'll have it for $255 plus shipping!!!!

Now, for the mapping software, but we'll wait for a few weeks.

Now, for the additional questions. How hard is this unit to figure out initially? Will we be able to figure out how to use it in 48 hours? We're hoping to have it in hand on Wednesday, and we'll be using it on a trip starting on Friday--is this doable? We especially want to be able to download caches in the Raleigh area into it. We've never had that capability!

:huh:

Now, for the additional questions. How hard is this unit to figure out initially? Will we be able to figure out how to use it in 48 hours?

If you have any experience with GPS, its very easy. I didn't bother with the manual and had it 90 percent figured out in a couple of hours.

I finally had to hit the manual to figure out the rest, but they did a great job with the user interface on this unit. I just got a Meri Gold (on loan from my dad) and its nowhere near as intuiative or as easy to use.

We have an Etrex now, and its quite easy.

I also use cachemate on a regular basis with my palm, and I have GSAK, but I've never really figured out how to use it. This seems to be a common problem, and I've never taken the time to figure it out.

With Garmin MetroGuide work with this unit???

That last post should say, WILL Garmin MetroGuide work with this unit? From reading, we think that maybe it will work for maps, but without the auto routing. This sort of makes those maps useless, correct?

The good news, our GPS is on its way! Its out for delivery, and we'll have it within a few hours!!!

Metroguide version 4 will autoroute, but it's maps are pretty dated. Metroguide ver. 5 does not do autorouting. You can still upload the detailed maps, and plot your position on them, but autorouting is a pretty slick feature. I would recommend City Select v 6.

Thanks for the infol. We have a copy of Metroguide 5.0, so I think we'll use that to start with, and then buy CitySelect. Will we be able to remove Metroguide once its loaded into the GPS?

(As you can see--we're clueless when it comes to this whole hooking the gps up to the computer thing!)

Will we be able to remove Metroguide once its loaded into the GPS?

Yes. In fact, every time you load a new map onto the 60C, it erases any maps that you have previously loaded (but not the basemap, which resides in its own memory area). If you've selected four or five maps (from Metroguide, CS, or whatever) and want to add two more, you can't just go in to MapSource and select the two maps you want to load (well, you can, but you'll only end up with those two maps). You have to select all six maps and load them.

By the way, MapSource is the program that actually loads maps to the GPSr. MetroGuide 5 (and CS6) are just data bases that MapSource uses. You'll install MapSouce when you load MetroGuide, and it will then be there for you when you get City Select. You should probably check the Garmin site after you install MetroGuide, because there is a later release of MapSource that you can download. It won't change your map data, but it has more bells and whistles (like the ability to read .gpx files).