New Gate Procedure?

Klemmer

Happened across this description, and got a laugh, so thought I would share (only copied part of it):

DX4641

"...TAKE THE RIGHT FORK, EAST, FOR 0.05 MILE TO A LOCKED, STEEL GATE ON THE LEFT (IN RAMSHACKLE CONDITION). TURN LEFT THROUGH THE LOCKED GATE (WHICH WAS PASSED THROUGH BY REMOVING FROM HINGES) AND GO NORTHEASTERLY ON THE TRACK ROAD LEADING UP THE RIDGE FOR 1.55 MILES TO A LOCKED, WOODEN GATE. PASS THROUGH THE LOCKED GATE (WHICH WAS PASSED THROUGH BY REMOVING FROM HINGES) AND CONTINUE...."

Not recommended procedure for us geocacher type amateur benchmark hunters....

Cows are very interested in what people are doing. They love to come over and see what you are doing.

An unattended tripod will be used as a scratching post as fast as they can get to it. Of course they will knock it over with the instrument on it, and step on it while not knowing any different. They may even roll on it if they think it will give them a good back scratch.

Yup. They will stand and watch for an hour or two, then they will start eating and graze away in search of good eating. Unless you move then they will need to supervise that too! :-D

Cows... Gotta love their company. I guess :-)

Rob

Well, surprise surprise, the pasture is now becoming a subdivision. See my report here: EE1643

Benchmark hunting is tough here in Gwinnett County, with all the explosive growth the last 15 years. But I'm not getting discouraged at all. I'm learning new things everytime I go "hunting." :)

I can't believe you didn't bother to move that pile of rocks to see if the mark was still there :D

I can't believe you didn't bother to move that pile of rocks to see if the mark was still there :D

LOL, yeah, I was actually thinking about that - but not seriously, though.

That day was one of those where I was fairly certain I wouldn't find any of the benchmarks on my list, but I still like to log and document them. :D