Foretrex 101 Or A Geko 201

I’m looking to pick up a second GPSr. Either A foretrex 101 or a geko 201. This will be used on a bike, with a kayak, slipped in the pocket just for play and by the wife when caching. (I currently have a gpsmap 60 and have just started cashing and keep loosing it to the wife.). I am leaning towards the foretrex because of the wrist strap and the 101 because I can and use rechargeable but get batteries anywhere if I need them. Any reason I should change my mind or am I on the right track.

If it was me I would go for the Foretrex 101. I bought two for my nongeocaching

grandkids. I played with them before wraping them for Christmas Presents. My grandson who is 21 uses his on his mountain bike and kayaking. My Grandaughter who is 23 uses hers in the winter time for Ski Patrol in Colorado and in the summer for float trips in Alaska near Denali. Both love them. If I didn't already have so many

GPSs, I would get one. I was impressed with them before sending them off in the mail. If you didn't already have a top GPS then maybe the Geko 201 might be the best. While I do use GSAK to load my GPSs, I never minded manual loading. My only question are you getting this for your wife or you just using that for an excuse to get one to play with. Go for it. Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

Do not get a forerunner.

I believe the foretrex and gecko are almost identical in features. I love my foretrex 201. I like the rechargeable batterys and the fact that its significantly thinner than the 101. The 201 can almost be considered a large watch where the 101 seems to bulky. I use it on my bike with the bike mount and it works great for that.

I recently sold my Vista but often I'd grab the foretrex over the vista because I really liked its simplicity. Now I replaced the Vista with a Explorist but I'm not giving up the foretrex.

Do not get a forerunner.

The Forerunner is a fitness (running, walking, jogging, etc) tool; and it's very good for that use, since it has features the Foretrex does not have. I picked up three Forerunner 201s (myself and two sons) just before Thanksgiving when Target had them on clearance for $70 and we've been quite pleased with them.

Edited by tubemonkey

I have the 101 for backpacking. It is perfect! No sucky rechargeable batteries (that will die in 2 years and have to be replaced by Garmin). Only 2.6 ounces (with the wrist strap...I took mine off, so it's even less) and I can put energizer lithiums in it for great life. It will do 10,000 track log points. This baby rocks for backpacking!

I would go for a Forerunner 201 or 301. You can download waypoints and you always have it on your wrist. I just picked up a 301 to replace a 201. It has USB connection and the heart rate monitor. I love it and never go training without it.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

I do not think you'd regret getting the Foretrex 101...I normally use a Map60CS, but use the 101 for cycling, and kayaking. Small, unobtrusive...great reception and inexpensive. It does come with a bayonet plug serial cable for connecting to the PC. I've put mine through some pretty hard use for just over a year...and have had no problems with it at all.

Regards,

Bill

Do not get a forerunner.

The Forerunner is a fitness (running, walking, jogging, etc) tool; and it's very good for that use, since it has features the Foretrex does not have.

Sorry I should have clarified that. Do not get a forerunner for geocaching. Its lacking some basic features that you will miss. For fitness there is no other GPS like it and it does that incredibly well. If your primary use is for fitness and you want to also use if for geocaching, it will work. If your after a geocaching GPS go with the foretrex.

My 201 with rechargeable battery is lighter than the 101. Its also a 1/3 of an inch slimmer. I prefer the smaller size, lighter weight, and I like the rechargeable battery. I carry a battery charging backup pack when I go where it might run out. Most of the objections to the rechargeable battery are always based on old rechargeable battery problems or myths. I've had mine for a year now and it has no noticeable loss in the length of battery life. Someday GPS users will realize what PDA's, camera's and cell phones already have and that is the benefits of a rechargeable battery.

Either of those models should work fine and have quite similar features.

But since you also have a Map60, I'd be inclined to get an eTrex Legend as the second unit. That way you could share any map software (US Topo, CitySelect, etc.) between the two units. I know that I find the detailed maps very useful when using my GPS for bicycling and kayaking.

Thanks for all the info!

I do like the thickness of the 201 over the 101 but still not sure if that is as important as having the use of spare batteries. I think that if I was to use it constantly the 201 would be better because I would always have it on the charger and ready to use. But because I will be using it as more of a spare I think I would go to use it and find the batteries had dwindled and the unit would need to be charged before I could use it.

Now to find the cheapest place. I see some are now coming with the bike mount for the same price.

Thanks for all the info!

I do like the thickness of the 201 over the 101 but still not sure if that is as important as having the use of spare batteries. I think that if I was to use it constantly the 201 would be better because I would always have it on the charger and ready to use. But because I will be using it as more of a spare I think I would go to use it and find the batteries had dwindled and the unit would need to be charged before I could use it.

Now to find the cheapest place. I see some are now coming with the bike mount for the same price.

Yet another misconception about modern rechargeable battery packs. I did not do any caching between the past Oct. and Feb. During that time I never got my foretrex out. I didn't fully charge it when I put it away in Oct. and when I did got it out in Feb. it still had most of a charge. Also you can put a cig lighter cord in your car and a spare AA charger battery pack in your caching bag if your worried about it running out on you. For most cachers thats more convenient than trying to find a place to buy batterys in the woods.

I know I can't convince those people with rechargeable battery phobia that this is really a good thing. I just purchased a Magellan explorist 600 with rechargeable battery and I like it.

Also you can put a cig lighter cord in your car and a spare AA charger battery pack in your caching bag if your worried about it running out on you. For most cachers thats more convenient than trying to find a place to buy batterys in the woods.

Oh I dunno, I think if I could buy and take all that with me, I could remember to take a couple of spare batteries with me...

I've had mine for a year now and it has no noticeable loss in the length of battery life.

Idon't have a single rechargeable device...Not a cell phone (I have 4 in the family), not a digital camera (I have 3) not a cordless phone (I have 2 in the house) nor my beloved Garmin IQUE 3600, that hasn't suffered from battery loss in 2 years. They are fine at 1 year, but going away by 2 years. And the Garmins must be sent back to the factory to get replaced (technically you could open it and do it yourself if you dared).

I carry a battery charging backup pack when I go where it might run out.

Sounds expensive...I can carry 2 spare lithium AAA batteries that only weigh 0.6 ounces (per pair) in my pocket and only cost $3.00

Bottom line to me...rechargeable devices are about convinience. They cost more to buy and are not suitable for anything that will be away from a power cord for any length of time. The convinience theory flies out the window if you have to take recharging equipment with you anywhere you go.

Someday GPS users will realize what PDA's, camera's and cell phones already have and that is the benefits of a rechargeable battery.

I hope I'm not around to see that day! :o

Alphawolf and I are on the same wavelength here. Internal rechargeables (especially ones that are sealed like the foretrex) are the smartest CRAPPY idea the GPS companies have ever come up with! They fool you into thinking that its SO much more convenient (which its not), that it gives you lots of battery life (which it doesnt), that it weighs a lot less (weight difference is negligable), and so on and so forth. Meanwhile they laugh because they are making lots of money from selling their batteries to the suckers who buy them. Even worse, they charge you money just to replace the battery!

:D

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

I ended up getting the Foretrex 101. Thanks for all the help.

I just ordered it yesterday From Tiger GPS it had the computer cable and bike bracket fpr $116.10. I emailed ahead to see if they had it in stock, placed the order yesterday, and it was shipped out yesterday afternoon. It should be in my hands tomorrow.

Here's the link incase you would like it Foretrex 101

I know I can't convince those people with rechargeable battery phobia that this is really a good thing.

See above...

The only point I agree with you rechargeable battery phobiacs is the sealed battery on the foretrex. It is unfortunate that its sealed. Magellan did it the right way on the explorist 600 with making it user swappable. Even better yet they are going to have an expanded back to hold 3 aaa's to swap out the rechargeable. I think that is the best in flexibility. Though if I had to choose one or the other I'd choose rechargeable.

I'm not sure what your facts your basing your claims of longer running power of disposables. Seeing how long the aaa battery pack on the explorist 600 lasts compared to the origanel rechargeable is going to be interesting.

Weight may not be significant but I think size is. Go compare the foretrex 101 and 201 side by side and tell me which one you would rather wear on your wrist. Again it will be intersting to see how explorist 600 and how much bigger the new back will have to be to accomadate the aaa's.

LiI batteries are good for city use, but worthless for extended backpacking trips. My cell phone has a LiI battery (as if I had a realistic choice in the matter), as does my Forerunner 201. But then again, these two items are strictly for city use so I don't care.

When I venture out into the field, my devices must use AA batteries -- GPSr, digital camera, flashlight, and 2-way radio. I absolutely refuse to buy any of these devices if they won't. In addition, my digital camera must also have an SD slot. I won't own one that doesn't. I want interchangeability with my other SD devices -- MP3 player, camcorder, and future PDA.

Edited by tubemonkey
When I venture out into the field, my devices must use AA batteries

The Foretrex 101 uses AAA batteries, but I defy you pick a more suitable GPS for backpacking...It is 2.6 ounces with the wrist strap (which I removed, so it's even lighter) and gets ample battery life. It is the smallest, lightest available. Even the 201 is heavier. I considered every GPS out there before I chose this one for backpacking. I am convinced that there isn't anything any other GPS will do that I can't do as well with my Foretrex and a grid card with a paper map. I am simply not interested in color screens, altimeters, built in compasses, or 1:100,000 scale internal maps. They are all useless in the backcountry. The only one that fit all my backpacking needs at once was the 101. With lithium batteries instead of alkalines, I consider the AAA batteries to be a lightweight advantage over the heavier AA versions. I think the 101 would have been less perfect with AA batteries.

The Foretrex 101 uses AAA batteries, but I defy you pick a more suitable GPS for backpacking...

Hey, to each his own. I choose not to use AAAs in my ventures away from civilization, since weight isn't a factor in most of my outings. I like the idea that I can cannibalize the power source from one device for use in another if needed (which I've done a few times).

When it comes down to it, a mapping GPSr doesn't have the detail required for backpacking anyway. So it's pretty much useless in that respect and a non-mapping unit is just as good as a mapping unit. Besides, a map and a compass should be a backpacker's primary navigational tools to begin with. Electronic devices can and do fail.

If I ever were to take a more minimalist approach to backpacking, then I'd ditch my AA devices in favor of AAA devices. I'd get a AAA LED headlamp and either a Foretrex 101 or a Geko 201.

Even better yet they are going to have an expanded back to hold 3 aaa's to swap out the rechargeable.

Not good enough. And just how many hours can we expect from 3 AAAs?

You want smaller, cheaper, and longer battery life. But it can't be the size of a tie tack and last for 30 hours, its just not possible. Everything is a trade off and you have to choose your compromise.

I know I'm not going to convince you guys that rechargeable is better but step back for a second and look at your average cacher. A rechargeable unit is going to fit their needs. Most will never go out for more than a few hours. Most will like the convenience of a rechargeable battery.

Look at todays GPS's most are not being made for the group you guys are in. When was the last time you were backpacking and wanted a color screen? Heck no, longer battery life is far important than high resolution color icons of gas stations.

I agree with the idea that rechargeable are the way to go when it comes to caching or for that matter any time the device is going to be used a lot daily. Just think of the money saved and the waste not in the landfill. The cost of replacing the batteries when dead will still be less than I will have spent on AAA.

The thickness between the 201 and the 101 is significant. The 101 is ½ again as thick. If this was a 60C the same change in dimensions would make it about 2 inches thick.

I only purchased the 101 as a back up and for use in the kayak and bike. When I go camping I will be away from a power source for 3 or 4 days at a time. This is when I feel the need for the AAA. I will be using rechargeable AAA for it when I am home and on the bike. But the kayak trips and any camping that will be done in the wilderness I need to have replacements. I just feel rechargeable don’t cut it in these circumstances.

Most will like the convenience of a rechargeable battery.

How is it a convenience?!?! Think about what you are saying! B)

Its a convenience because its about 7 seconds quicker to recharge the batteries?? Give me a break.

Its a convenience because its lighter?! No its not! Like Alpha wolf said, the 201 is heavier than the 101. And even with other GPSrs with rechargeables, the weight difference is next to nothing.

Is it really that convenient to have to run out of battery life in the woods and be totally screwed about navigation?! Is it really convenient to have to ship your GPS back to have Garmin replace the stupid battery for you?! That doesnt sound too convenient to me. Is it really convenient to be on a 14 hour "leash" with your GPS battery life?

I realize I sound pissed here, but it really ticks me off that laziness is the reason that most GPSs in the future will go internal rechargeable and that I will have to pay the price for it.

I realize I sound pissed here, but it really ticks me off that laziness is the reason that most GPSs in the future will go internal rechargeable and that I will have to pay the price for it.

You can throw a temper tantrum if you want its not going to change the direction of rechargeable battery devices.

Have you even used the devices you rail against?

Just opened the package and found the data cable is not included. ;)

Data cable isn't included with the 101 normally so I was suprised when you said you were getting it with it. I figured it was some kind of package deal.

When you take that into consideration the price difference for the 201 is really tempting. Combined with the 201's better size and superior rechargeable battery.

I’ve had a little time to play and the foretrex works great.

Yep, it was a package deal and when I emailed tiger GPS they replied that the data cable was included along with the bike bracket. O well

I have drained a pair of AAA in the last 2 days. Took some time just setting things set up. I used it well driving around found it worked well slipped over the side of the rearview keeps a reception of 25-35” not to bad for a weird place. I mowed the lawn (amazing how far you drive in a 1 acre yard.)

I to would suggest the 201 if I were to use it for these things daily and have acces to the wall outlet. But I still will stick to the decision that away from civilization the 101 is the way to go. But either way these are neat units.

Have you even used the devices you rail against?

Not those devices, but lithium proprietaries in general... like a mobile phone or computer. Obviously AA or AAA batteries wouldnt be a good idea in those, but for these things, proprietary is fine. Cell phones are used either socially, or for emergency. For the normal everyday cell phone use, there will be plenty of opportunity to charge the phone, so not a problem there. For an emergency application, you will charge the phone, turn it off and only use it when you really need it. Therefore not a problem. GPS Is different... you may need to keep it on for hours or even days at a time, and its operation will be important at all times.

Seriously though, what drives you to bend over to the GPS companies and buy these units? ;)

Combined with the 201's better size and superior rechargeable battery

I'll really be curious how much it costs to send it back to Garmin to replace that "superior" rechargeable battery in about 24 months!

Sorry I should have used a smiley, the "superior" was supposed to be tongue in cheek. I was trying to tweak you rechargeable battery phobiacs.

I doubt very much if I'll still have that unit when the battery goes bad or if it will bother me very much. I bet over the life of the unit I'd have spent more on disposable batterys than what the unit costs. The way the technology is evolving I'll be buying a new unit anyway.

GPS Is different... you may need to keep it on for hours or even days at a time, and its operation will be important at all times.

Seriously though, what drives you to bend over to the GPS companies and buy these units? :P

In what situation would you need to have a GPS on for days at a time? They aren't any hikers or hunters I know that would leave it on the whole time they are out. Thats what a compass and paper map are for. For the hardcore user a GPS is a luxury not a requirement.

For geocachers and most GPS users I think the rechargeable is the way to go. For a small niche of GPS users its not. Why should I put up with the inconvience and expense of disposable batterys? I'm not bending to the GPS companys I'm pushing them to give me smaller, lighter, cheaper, and longer. I want rechargeable units and its one of the factors that had me buy a explorist 600 instead of a 60cs.

Check out the prices at GPS Discount, Inc. The Foretrex 201 is $124.00 plus $7.00 3rd day shipping. It comes with a cable to connect to the computer at that price. I ordered one Sunday and it was shipped Mon. I should get it tomorrow according to Fedex. I have a 60cs and a Garmin gpsV also. This one is for the kayak and biking.

Dave

Check out the prices at GPS Discount, Inc. The Foretrex 201 is $124.00 plus $7.00 3rd day shipping. It comes with a cable to connect to the computer at that price. I ordered one Sunday and it was shipped Mon. I should get it tomorrow according to Fedex. I have a 60cs and a Garmin gpsV also. This one is for the kayak and biking.

Dave

Wow for that price I'd love to pick up another one. I love my 201 for biking and caching.

I bet over the life of the unit I'd have spent more on disposable batterys than what the unit costs. The way the technology is evolving I'll be buying a new unit anyway.

Maybe thats the problem. :(

We arent talking about disposable batteries here. Alpha and I are talking about rechargeable NIMH batteries. Although in a pinch, yes, disposables are used.

Now THAT is convenience! You still havent told me why you think internal lithium rechargeables are SOOO much more convenient... waiting for a good explaination here.

:blink:

You want smaller, cheaper, and longer battery life. But it can't be the size of a tie tack and last for 30 hours, its just not possible. Everything is a trade off and you have to choose your compromise.

It's called a Legend C. It's smaller, cheaper, and has twice the battery life (36 hours) of an eXplorist 500 (17 hours); and all accomplished with 2x AA batteries. Go figure.

I know I'm not going to convince you guys that rechargeable is better but step back for a second and look at your average cacher. A rechargeable unit is going to fit their needs.

Actually, I'm a big fan of rechargeables -- NiMH AAs that is. I have nothing against Li Ion batteries for city use, but I'm talking about applications where electrical outlets are non-existent. In those instances, I can substitute alkalines for my NiMH. The same can't be said for Li Ion.

Most will never go out for more than a few hours.  Most will like the convenience of a rechargeable battery.

In that case, these folks don't need an SD slot for expanded memory either. So Magellan wasted their efforts on these units.

Look at todays GPS's most are not being made for the group you guys are in. When was the last time you were backpacking and wanted a color screen?

Actually, the Legend C would be great for my outdoor needs, but it lacks an SD slot. I wanted one unit to pull double duty -- hiking and car navigation. So I'm willing to wait until either Garmin adds an SD slot to the Legend C or Magellan adds AA batteries to the eXplorist 500.

Heck no, longer battery life is far important than high resolution color icons of gas stations.

Garmin did it (Legend C w/ 2x AA = 36 hours battery life) ..... what's Magellan's excuse (eXplorist 500 w/ LiI = 17 hours battery life)?

Now THAT is convenience! You still havent told me why you think internal lithium rechargeables are SOOO much more convenient... waiting for a good explaination here.

:unsure:

Size and the fact that I never have to swap the battery or carry bulky chargers. Batterys charge right in the unit. Thats convenient to me.

You guys can try to pick at me all you want but Magellans faq sums it up the best-

Q: Why did Magellan decide to use a rechargeable battery in the eXplorist 400, 500 and 600?

A: Per customer requests for a rechargeable hand-held solution.

Official Magellan Explorist Faq