How To Read Explorist Files

What software can read Explorist routes or waypoint files? I know GSAK can output the UPT file but what can read it back? If nothing can read it what can convert it to something that other programs can use?

I have ExpertGPS but it doesn't appear to have any options for importing from Magellan.

GPSBabel will do pretty well everything. I just downloaded the latest beta and it now handles Explorist .gs geocache manager files.

In fact it does it better than the Magellan geocaching manager as it shortens the geocache name to 20 characters so you don't lose waypoints that have the same first 20 characters - which happened to me a couple of days ago - the Magellan geocaching manager ignored 3 out of five caches in a series because the first 20 characteres were the same. Only got the second one because the hider had made a typo B)

Probably several ways to get them out as the .rte format used is fairly standard but one that I have tried that works is use the conversion manager to fetch them out as a Mapsend .wpt file which GPSBabel will convert to a format you want (I converted to a Streets and Trips csv file).

I just tried having GPSBabel go direct into to the Explorist drive via the PC and telling GPSBabel that the .rte file was a Magellan SD format and it did the conversion fine without having to go through the Magellan conversion manager.

As Hard Oiler says, the latest beta of GPSBabel creates geocaching files for the eXplorist with smart names, instead of just taking the first 20 characters. Another feature is that you can create the .gs file and save it anywhere, without sending it directly to the eXplorist like the Geocaching Manager software requires.

In the eXplorist the route files are separate from the waypoint files (In the Meridian they are combined.) The route files have just the waypoints needed for the routes in the file. A file can contain more than one route. You can use GPSBable to work a route file (open it as a Magellan SD waypoint file.), again as Hard Oiler states.

Edited by EScout
GPSBabel will do pretty well everything. I just downloaded the latest beta and it now handles Explorist .gs geocache manager files.

In fact it does it better than the Magellan geocaching manager as it shortens the geocache name to 20 characters so you don't lose waypoints that have the same first 20 characters - which happened to

Yeah, GPSBabel rules. It looks like it was done by someone with actual geocaching experience. ;)