Group Hunt For Pipeline

WeightMan

I had a thought while driving home today. I know that is dangerous territory, but give me a chance here.

Is it possible to do The Pipeline* in a day trip from Seattle or does it require an overnight stay in the Portland area. Either way, would anyone be up for a group attack sometime this summer, perhaps in August? I can conceive of a group caravan picking up members at various park-n-ride lots along I-5.

What do you folks think about it?

It's possible it's only about 3 1/2 - 4 hours from Seattle to Pipeline. Not sure how much fun it would be for people though. That's a long drive for a day trip.

We spent a day leaving from Longview (2 hours closer) and didn't have nearly enough time to do a good caching trip (including the loop out to Maryhill and back up SR 14). There are some fun caches that way.

It's a pretty cool cache but I'm not sure it's worth an overnighter. Actually, it's a pretty regular cache that has a really cool access.

I guess it depends on who you go with Criminal. B)

Pipeline is fun but it's probably overrated because of the uniqueness of a couple of spots on the trail. Personally, I preferred the Trilithons cache we hit later that day but the pipeline was a nice treat on a hot day. And definitely one to hit if you're going to be caching in the gorge. And the gorge is worth an overnighter, caches or not.

Sounds like an overnight trip then. Cache to Portland. Do Pipeline, and maybe get over to Estacada before heading back north. Possible?

Estacada for the original stash tribute? It's possible. Probably about 3 1/2 hours driving from Portland-Pipeline-Estrada.

Though like I said, as long as I was at the *Pipeline I'd choose to spend the day at the gorge. But that's just me and I'm close enough to get to either of those caches on a half day trip.

I'm local to the Hood River area... if you want just a day trip, I'd suggest visiting several here in the area. The pipeline area (powerdale to locals) is nice, but I can't see an eight hour round trip just for it... I think you'd be happier giving yourself at least one overnight if not a whole weekend, and hit a bunch of the gorge ones. There are so many here that it's going to entertain us for a good long time, even though so many are in places we know well, but never knew there were geocaches there. A hint, though... if you do wait til later, warmer weather, and want somewhere to stay, try to plan ahead, even if camping. This place gets just a mite crowded with tourists. :huh:

Is it possible to do The Pipeline* in a day trip from Seattle or does it require an overnight stay in the Portland area.  Either way, would anyone be up for a group attack sometime this summer, perhaps in August?  I can conceive of a group caravan picking up members at various park-n-ride lots along I-5.

What do you folks think about it?

Weightman:

Yes, it's very possible - left from Tukwila and came back in a day. However, as I think has been mentioned, it's not really worth the drive JUST to do Pipeline.

It might be fun to make it an 'overnighter' and plan to hit a few of the other great cache in the area (area being between The Pipeline and Vancouver. If you left at the creak o' dawn on one day, you could be down there and done with The Pipeline before lunch and have quite a bit of time left to do some of the others.

-=-

michelle

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

Pipeline is good, but IMHO, not the best cache in the gorge. Still worth doing.

Tomb Raider by Navdog is a great multi - this from someone who's not all that into multis.

Rock of Ages, is another great Navdog cache, one that will leave you aching (for more!).

I modestly suggest Ka-Ho-Nee Falls as a great outing. Don't let the warnings put you off, they applied when we placed it after a pretty wet season. I've heard it compared favorably to Headwall, which was archived before I could do it. ;) If you want to "kick it up a notch", you can continue on to Colorado Jones' Wahe Ka-Ho-Nee.

Across the river there is Crack of the Gods, also by Colorado Jones which takes almost the whole day.

Closer to Portland, there is 2925 by Oregone, which is a sort of portland area rite of passage. Nearby, after it gets dark, you can attempt Nightwalker, an excellent night cache by Navdog.

These are some of the most challenging and fun caches in the gorge. There are likely others, but I haven't done them yet. :D Note the word challenging - do your homework before attempting them.

There are lots of less challenging but still good caches all through the gorge.

Also look at pdxgeocaching gorge caches. Not a lot of votes recorded, but it has some info.

Well, the weather wasn't very cooperative on Saturday, so I didn't try for the more adventurous caches on the Oregon side of the gorge. It was too slippery and mucky. I'll just have to go back! :P

But I DID do The Pipeline - wow, definitely one of the most unusual hike-caches I've ever done! Really cool, walking on the grating for a mile above the enormous penstock (pipeline). Beautiful views of the river, and the 'waterworks' didn't get me any wetter than the rain already had. Those are some impressive jets coming from the leaky joints and holes!

I'll post my log and some pics in the next day or so.

Oh, and Weightman - they are right, The Pipeline is a great cache, but definitely not worth a 5-hour day trip (each way) from Seattle. I'd make it at least a weekend and get in some of the other great caches in the Gorge. I was there two days, to cache and orienteer, and still barely scratched the surface!

Edited by hydnsek