How Many People Who Geocache Are Eagle Scouts

When I was reworking my resume, my wife had thought that I should not include my Eagle Award because it was so long ago, like leaving off that fast food job you worked at in the 80s. I insisted that it stay on there and my belief that it will always be relevant turned out to be right.

So, when writing your resume, Be Prepared.

It is relevant. You should always list that you are an Eagle. Even if they are not one most people know what it means.

I am an Eagle scout from troop 1025, Greater Pittsburgh Alliance-- it has since changed names, but I am not sure what it is called now.

I reached Eagle Scout at the old age of 13. I have had it on my resume since then. When I interviewed at colleges and later on firms for employment, nearly everyone commended me on obtaining the honor of being an Eagle Scout. It is always good to be able to impress a partner of a global accounting and audit firm with something on your resume... ;)

Edited by CW Iams
When I was reworking my resume, my wife had thought that I should not include my Eagle Award because it was so long ago, like leaving off that fast food job you worked at in the 80s. I insisted that it stay on there and my belief that it will always be relevant turned out to be right.

So, when writing your resume, Be Prepared.

It is relevant. You should always list that you are an Eagle. Even if they are not one most people know what it means.

Attaining the rank of Eagle Scout is very relevant, even after decades have passed. It speaks to your character and sense of committment.

Learning and living those values at such a formative age gives a prospective employer a higher degree of confidance in choosing you over an otherwise equal applicant.

Not eagle yet... Still working on it ;)

Star scout, SPL of Troop 521, Londonderry, NH, Daniel Webster Council

Ordeal member of Passaconaway Lodge #220

I'm still trying to convince people that a.) there should be a geocaching merit badge and b.) it should be eagle-required!! :D

"May the great scoutmaster of all scouts be with us until we meet again"

Happy Caching

Jeff

Yep, had my court of honor in September of 1999. Troop 875 out of baylakes council in Southeastern Wisconsin. Kept at it even after the award. I got the bronze, gold, and silver palms too. I thank scouting and my dad who took me camping and still does for my love of the out doors. It was actually a professor at the University of Wisconsin Platteville who got me into Geocaching.

Started Scouting in 1957 as a bobcat, then wolf, bear, lion (yep they had lions back then), and webelos. Join the Boys Scouts in 1960. Eagle Scout class of 1966. Scoutmaster for three different troops - Charlotte NC, Tamunig Guam, and Albuquerque NM. Produced 26 Eagles including both of my sons. Currently active as VP Admin in a Texas Council. For those headed to Jambo '05 SEE YOU ON THE HILL!!! :D:P:D

I'm still trying to convince people that a.) there should be a geocaching merit badge and b.) it should be eagle-required!! :P

"May the great scoutmaster of all scouts be with us until we meet again"

Happy Caching

Jeff

I agree, it needs to be a merit badge in the making.

We did a spring break camp this year and we (me and my eagle scout buddy) made a nature hike that we ploted out using our gps receivers. That way we were able to keep the hike exactly the same route no matter what time you went on it. Plus they had to look for clues along the way to find the lost toy box left by previous scouters. That was our way of getting the boys an exposure to geocaching. It was a 1.05 mile hike and about 3/4 the way through we found the hidden toys in a dried up river bed.

They loved it. The best part about it being on gps was that if the group arrived late we were able to modify the route using a go to function. Worked every time and the cub scouts loved it.

My husband was an Eagle Scout,

Just a small pet peeve... :D

Your husband IS an eagle scout...once you get to that lofty goal, it doesn't go away just because you're no longer involved in Scouting or no longer a youth.

Just like I don't say I WAS a college graduate....well, until they revoke it I guess! :P

Thats why I kept me Eagle rank on my shirt and did not put that silly little knot thing on my shirt. I am also a Vigil member of the OA. Looking for a troop the one in my town flat out told me thay do not do any thing with the OA.

Made Eagle with 2 days left untill my 18th b day. Sat on my papper work for almost a year due to the fact that I did not think I was ready.

Quite the old thread, but

Only made it to Bear year (not into Webelos), but now...

Cubmaster, Assistant Scoutmaster, Merit Badge Counselor, Bobwhite C-16-06, Troop Guide C-21-08, Past District Training Chair, Currently District Committee Chair and Chartered Org Rep for two additional units.

I'll bite.

Arrow of Light: Yes, but don't remember the year

Eagle & OA: 1984

Have been: Cub Scout Committee Chairman

Currently am: Boy Scout Committee Chairman, Unit Commissioner for 6 Troops, Merit Badge Counselor for 4 badges

Attended Philmont adult training: 2007 (If you have the opportunity to go, GO! I took the entire family and we all had a great week!)

There was no scouting in my area when I was a boy. I started in scouting when my son was a cub. He got his Eagle. I have been scoutmaster, OA chapter advisor, Vigil member of OA, District award of merit, founder's award, Silver Beaver, St. George Emblem, camping chairman, etc.

Scouting is a great thing for a boy (or for an adult). :)

Gunaquoit Takachsin

"He who leads with high principles"

Eagle scout class of 1998, Troop 59 Middle GA council.

Like many others have said my experience in scouting from a tiger all the way to Eagle has served me well over they years. The skills that are learned are priceless. Being an Eagle Scout to me means always being prepared for whatever situation you find yourself in, respect for your self and others, as well as respect for nature. Perseverance, Leadership, and self sufficiency also come to mind. I applaud all the other Eagle Scouts here on this thread, and i encourage all of you seeking the rank of Eagle to preserver and see it to the end! Your lives like mine shall be greatly rewarded for your efforts.

Eagle Scout 1993

Even after a bachelors and a phd program I still list this on my CV... It's the only non-professional thing I list but I guess I'm proud of it even though I think I rushed through it way too fast (board of review while I was still 13, court of honor just after the birthday) and would have gained more taking more time. I stayed active in scouts (the real deal and OA) until my junior year in HS after which I joined an explorer post that was really just an excuse for people to raft and moved on to ski patrol and search and rescue.

My dad is still very active as a scouter and though I've thought about going back to scouting, I have too much wanderlust to tie me down long enough for it to matter and the scouting in guatemala is so different and I'm so busy that I wouldn't have time.

In the very small group of cachers that I personally know, there are three eagle scouts. My son is one and I work with two others. I'd like to know statistically what the percentage of scouts in the geocaching community is.

Dennis

Hi, Winstonsdad! Maybe see you tomorrow at No Frills?

I'm a scoutmaster with Troop 144 in , North Richland Hills, Texas. I was never in scouting but I as able to "live it" because I grew up in the woods. I have been in scouting since my son was a tiger cub. He is currently a Star Scout.

We just received an award from the Trailblazer District for having the most boys reach the rank of Eagle Scout in 2008. WOOT!

CC, We are planning on being there.

We had a very active and dedicated scout master when I was growing up. I did not appreciate the time and effort the adult leaders put in until I became an adult. They gave up all their vacation to take us to camp every summer. They hauled us to Canada, Colorado and Florida among other places just because they cared. I have a deep appreciation and respect for that now I wish I had then.

I wonder if Jeremy was a Scout???

From the May 2008 Issue of Scouting Magazine:

The Birth of a Geocache Web Site

Jeremy Irish is co-owner of www.geocaching.com, the Internet’s premier networking site that links hundreds of thousands of hidden treasures with geocachers around the world.

Irish, a Life Scout as a youth, enjoyed camping and hiking. As an adult, however, he had few opportunities to spend time outdoors. “When I heard about the GPS stash hunt, it got me really excited about going outdoors again.”

Eight years ago the Seattle-based Web designer used his skills to create an Internet database of all the world’s known caches — at the time, a total of 75. Today, says Irish, there are close to 500,000 caches, with more than 4,000 added each week.

Edited by Markwell