How Many People Who Geocache Are Eagle Scouts

Went through Scouts (Canada) as a boy, spent some time in cadets and the militia, and now have been a Troop Scouter for 20 years. Starting to feel old, as the children of former Scouts are beginning to show up in my troop! B)

much the same deal here. Ex Scout (Canada), Air Cadets, but I was Air Reserve. B)

That is really cool.

I guess some has already asked a similar question.

However I guess I could have searched the site for it, but it just came to me and I started the topic. I guess if you look in a search you can find almost every topic already talked about.

For those in scouting I applaude you and may all your scouts be able to sore like eagles.

Not an Eagle, since I began my scouting experience when my son was a cub. HE is an Eagle, though. I have continued to work in scouting. That work is now mostly with OA. I am a Vigil member and former chapter advisor. I also have the Founder's Award, District Award of Merit, the St. George Emblem, and the Silver Beaver.

Gunaquoit Takachsin

Was in scouting till I was 17, didn't quite get to Eagle tho. Wish Geocaching had been around then, would definately gotten the Geocaching merit badge B)

Now I'm 44 and blessed with a daughter & Geocaching partner who's a bridging from Brownies to Juniors Girl Scouts. Proud to say I'm a certified Girl Scout Troop Leader.

Rick

Team SaguaroAstro

My son, who is an Eagle with Troop 460 in Fort Wayne, Indiana, introduced me to Geocaching last year. I was a scout leader for 9 years. He is a senior in college now and we still do a lot of geocaching, hiking, backpacking and orienteering.

I don't have my eagle :huh: , but I'v been in scouting for about 5 years.

If you're willing to listen to the advice from someone pushing 45 years old, my earnest two cents is STICK WITH IT and get that Eagle badge done. The older you get, the more your attentions are diverted -- to sports, girls, cars, college applications and a host of other things.

I didn't earnestly begin work on achieving my Eagle Badge until I was already in high school, and I didn't finish until Senior Year, just a few months before losing eligibility. I am so glad that I did, even though it was not "cool" to be driving myself to merit badge meetings while my friends were driving to the beach. It's served me well in life, demonstrating to employers, schools, etc. that I can set and achieve long-term goals. It is one of the proudest accomplishments of my youth, not to mention all the skills I learned along the way. Those skills help me to this very day in my geocaching adventures.

On the other hand, when I talk to guys in my age group who stopped short of Eagle Scout, they almost universally regret that they didn't follow through.

Eagle Scout, Troop 925, Marshallville, Ohio, Buckeye Council - 1990

It's amazing, I echo every thought that The Leprechauns posted above. I started in Scouts when I was 12/13 and didn't finish my Eagle work until just before losing my elegibility. In fact I had the work done before turning 18 but didn't have my ceremony till after my birthday.

It has served me well over the years, probably in ways that I don't even know about. If I ever have to make up a resume again, chances are pretty good that I'll include it on there, ya never know who might be reading your resume...another Scouter perhaps ?

Not an Eagle, since I began my scouting experience when my son was a cub. HE is an Eagle, though. I have continued to work in scouting. That work is now mostly with OA. I am a Vigil member and former chapter advisor. I also have the Founder's Award, District Award of Merit, the St. George Emblem, and the Silver Beaver.

Gunaquoit Takachsin

I am a brother hood member. To bad I have all girls now. I work for the council as an in-school scout leader. It is a special program to bring cub scouting to at risk schools.

when I talk to guys in my age group who stopped short of Eagle Scout, they almost universally regret that they didn't follow through.

That is very true. My brother stopped short. All he needed was the project and there were so many options starring him in the face. I asked if he regrets it, he does. Do it, get it, love it and let the world know. :o

Yeah, I fell short of getting my Eagle, I procrastinated and didn't get the ball rollong on the final project soon enough. Before I knew it, time was up, and I had everything except the project done. So, I ended up with a Life rank.

Scouting was a great thing for me, too bad I didn't get all out of it I could have. Oh well, just one more example of my UnderAchieiving past.

My husband was an Eagle Scout,

Just a small pet peeve... :D

Your husband IS an eagle scout...once you get to that lofty goal, it doesn't go away just because you're no longer involved in Scouting or no longer a youth.

Just like I don't say I WAS a college graduate....well, until they revoke it I guess! :o

Spent some time as a girl scout, but I quit when I found out that on our camping trip with the local boy scout troop, the boys would be staying in tents while the girls would bunk in a more "comfortable" cabin, and that the boys would go hiking while the girls worked on their cooking badges making them dinner for their return!

You might think I'm 60, but this was the 80s - not the 50s! :lol:

I went on a job interview and one of the people who interviewed me asked as their last question what troop I had been in. My Eagle Award was listed on my resume and it turns out that he had pulled my resume for further review out of a stack of about 450 applicants just because it said Eagle Scout. My qualifications got me the interview but the Eagle Award distinguished me from hundreds of others right off and moved me to the front of the line. (Troop 295, Irwin, PA, by the way. 1984)

When I was reworking my resume, my wife had thought that I should not include my Eagle Award because it was so long ago, like leaving off that fast food job you worked at in the 80s. I insisted that it stay on there and my belief that it will always be relevant turned out to be right.

So, when writing your resume, Be Prepared.