Convince Me Gsak Is Worth The $20

I got cachemate for my palm. Works great. I got GSAK also (just the download; haven't paid for the full version yet) and I was able to import .gpx files to it and upload info to my Legend. But that's it.

I've tried looking through the documentation but it's not very helpful. It doesn't indicate what most of the columns at the left are for, and the icons don't display a description when you hover on them. I can see where it coudl be useful for archiving cache info, but is there a way to a) automatically sync w/ either the GPS or CacheMate and update itself as to what caches have been found, and :P automatically remove waypoints from at least the GPS, if not the PDA also, once they've been found.

I'm just using this for finding caches; I don't need to export data to maps or store track logs or routes or anything like that. I started reading through the GSAK thread but I don't have the patience to read through that many pages of (for me) irrelevant information, and doing a search didn't yield any results.

Or perhaps is there another application that will act as a go-between to clean up found info from GPS and PDA but keep it all archived in GSAK? I don't want to invest $20 in GSAK if all it's going to do is sit there; it'll be just one more thing I have to manually enter data into.

What do y'all use it for?

Thanks

I couldn't figure out GSAK in the beginning. I didn't have a clue.

Finally, I started playing around with the Filter icon and the variables it offered. I did very simple filters at first.

Gradually, I figured out how to choose a particular cache as the center point and then get the caches within 5 miles or less from that cache.

That is how I got this map I used in my blog.

Then I figured out I could get caches only to the east and north of a particular cache.

I have four different databases now. One for caches in the back country, one for the area to the north of me, one for San Diego metro area, and one for my Found caches.

I'm still an idiot when it comes to Macros and all the other stuff the pros in the GSAK thread talk about, but I cannot imagine caching without GSAK . . . and on my budget, $20.00 was a LOT of money!

I export the info for my Palm from GSAK, I sent waypoints to the GPSr from GSAK. I create map files for Mapsource from GSAK.

I never want to go back to the combination of about four different programs I used to have to use before I figured out the rudiments of GSAK. :P

Edit to make correction . . .

Edited by idiosyncratic

I just uploaded 405 pocket querry caches to my GPSr and to my Palm/cachemate software. Hit the export to palm button and send to GPS button and forget about it.

That and not having to wait and wait and wait for the nag screen to disappear is well worth the $20. Personally that's all I need it for. But it can also do way more than that. Just ask the power users.

Clyde did a great job putting the gsak software together.

For me it makes the whole Geocaching experience easier.

Just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. :0)

-Jeff

We also use a laptop with us so we pack a lot of information for caches in different areas. Haveing GASK on the laptop saves us a lot of paper, printing, time, and ink.

1) Download PQ's to GSAK and not have to have all the printouts.

2) Use the GSAK files to load the waypoints to the gpsr.

3) Use GSAK to load waypoints via the EXPORT function to maps. Either to NG TOPO! or MS S&T.

4) Use the GSAK note section for making logs then just cut and paste to the cache page at the end of the day. Saves a lot writing to a notebook and of typing logs later.

5) Having the last logs, last DNF's, Who placed it, T/D, etc.

6) Being able to sort caches by type, container, distance, terrain, who, etc.

All you have to do is play with it for a while and learn all the functions. And if you have a problem there is a good FAQ section as well as fast response from Clyde when needed.

We think it is well worth at least the $20 in time alone.

Logscaler and Red.

I keep a database of every cache in my state. GSAK enables me to sort it and find things instantly. Then export to my GPS or to Streets and Trips, or to Mapsource, or to just about any other format I have ever tried to use.

This software is by far the best geocaching application out there. Nothing else even comes close. It is continously being improved. The newest big feature that I am really enjoying is the ability to have it check your email and automatically download and import your PQ files. The macro functions aren't for a lightweight user but they are extremely powerfull to the point where you can automate just about anything that you can do manually. When you do lots of things repeatedly you will appreciate the power of automating it.

Hmm, strange, the icons on the toolbar of my copy do display hints when hovered on. Might be something in the prefereces to control that. Anyway, GSAK will export a cachemate pdb file directly. On mine, it's the icon with the globe. You can also get there by selecting menu options "File/Export/Cachemate PDB File". Clyde has also made this nifty program CM2GPX which will convert your cachemate pdb file, with your logging info entered, back into a GPX which you can then sync back into GSAK and have your logs filled out and ready to send to GC (which can also be done right from the GSAK log edit screen). Best $20 I have ever spent on software. :P

If you log your finds on-line at GC then you can do a pocket query every week for the same area. You then load the pocket query into the same database each week. It will update all the caches in the database, including your finds and Not Founds.

If you hunt benchmarks then you can use GSAK to manage a full county of benchmarks. The only difference is you have to manually check the found button for the benchmarks, since there are no pocket queries for benchmarks.

Good luck,

John

I actually think the documentation is pretty good. Not that I ever really needed it, since everything seemed totally intuitive the first time I ran the program.

I do a fair amount of business travel, and like to grab caches in other areas. Sometimes I find out on a Thursday or Friday that I need to travel on the weekend. I just set up a Pocket Query for the area I'll be visiting, then suck the .ZIP file right into a new database in GSAK. Then, while I'm on the plane, clearly without an Internet connection, I start looking for interesting caches and plan my outings.

I also export directly from GSAK into MapSource, Cachemate, and my Legend so I'm ready to hit the road. Totally paperless caching with very little time and effort! I can also export from GSAK into MS Streets and Trips, although I don't find myself using that so much anymore, since MapSource MetroGuide now does most of what I used to use S&T for. If I want to share cache information with somebody, else I can export to HTML files, which I can package up and send to somebody that doesn't even have GSAK.

Within five minutes (no kidding) of downloading GSAK I decided that I was going to shell out the $20 for it. I haven't regretted it once. I say give it a chance, play around with it, and you'll fall in love with it.

Not to sound rude, but as I stated, I don't give a crap about putting things on maps. And I don't have a laptop to take w/ me to move data around in the field. I just want it to automatically remove waypoints from my GPS after I mark them as found, update its own info on the cache status, and preferably remove the entries from CacheMate too, though I move them to my Found folder in CM, then Found and Logged folder once I've logged it on GC.com. It's ok for sending waypoints TO the GPS. CM has its own little app that puts the cache info and logs (though I don't add the logs) into my Palm; I do that every weekend to keep it fairly up-to-date. I dunno, maybe I just don't have the same criteria for use as others here. I avoid the maps, just take the GPS w/ its coords and the Palm w/ CM and its cache info and start hunting.

Also, I didn't put a smily in my original post. I hate those things generally. I wonder what set of characters generated that.

Well, how are you uploading your waypoints to your GPSr? Manually? A bunch at a time through GSAK?

If you have no use for what GSAK does or can do then don't use it. It doesn't get any simpler than that. If you have absolutely no use for any of it's features then nobody can convince you to shell out the $20 to register it. And if that's the case, why did you begin this thread/post in the first place?

If you like the features, use it. If not, don't.

-Jeff

Which GPS do you have? I didn't see it in your original post and might have missed it in one of the follow ups.

There's no way to programatically remove waypoints from a Garmin, if that's what you have. You need to go to the unit and do it there, either all in 1 shot, all of a specific type in 1 shot, or each individually. The Garmins don't allow a command to be sent to them to remove waypoints.

As for the documentation, I think it's extensive and answers about 95% of the questions. Which columns are you confused about? Go to http://gsak.net/help/hs2000.htm and http://gsak.net/help/hs32550.htm (same as in the help file on your computer) and it should answer your questions about what the columns are.

Your original post says you want to find caches. That's about 90% of what *I* use GSAK for. What I don't understand is why you want someone else to convince you to use a program that should provide you with amazing ability to filter, sort, manage, print, export, etc. Maybe you just don't "get it" yet? What have you loaded into the unit - 1 PQ of unfound caches in your area? 500 caches in your area regardless of whether you found them or not? Your profile indicates 11 found caches that you logged starting in 2003. With 11 caches in 2 years, I don't think there's a tremendous need to use anything other then the web site here.

If you don't have a need for it, then don't pay for it. Click on Start / Settings / Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it.

If you still want info, maybe tell us what you want to use the program to do and we'll provide some input. Your question is so vague it's the equivalent of my neighbor coming up to me in 1982 and saying "I just bought a computer, what do I do with it?". My response was, "Why did you buy it?"

I just paid for and started using GSAK. I'm still learning as I go, but I love it. The more I read the documentation and the forums I find out about some really cool functionality such as the email tag.

Anyway, if Clyde had asked I would have paid $30-35 for it :P Considering the time he spends on frequent updates and support here in the forums and through email easily justify that price in my view.

Edited by moonpup

I'm just using this for finding caches; I don't need to export data to maps or store track logs or routes or anything like that. I started reading through the GSAK thread but I don't have the patience to read through that many pages of (for me) irrelevant information, and doing a search didn't yield any results.

Thanks

I don't think it is for you. :P It was designed for automating tasks for those that have the geocache bug. :) I just read your profile, (11 cache finds in two years), and at that rate you are correct in that you couldn't justify spending the $20 bucks for the program after spending the $8 bucks for cachemate (which for you averages just under a dollar a cache). :D

If you do get in to caching, I think you will develop the patience to read the GSAK thread, and fabulous help screens, and begin to understand what a great tool it is. :P:P:P:D;)

GSAK isn't very intuitive to use, not to mention the forum threads announcing new versions always assume you've read every preceeding thread. There is no "quick start guide" to get newbies up and running. In spite of all that (and more), I think it's a very useful tool.

It took me some time just to get it to "talk" to my Garmin Legend, but now I use it all the time.

One thing I don't like is that it doesn't save the file you're working on. You have to manually "export" it as a GPX file so you can pick up where you left off. Yes, it keeps the database populated between sessions, but I like to flip through several files and not have to export and import for each one. Maybe that feature could be added in the future? With Word or Excel I can have multiple documents open and switch between them easily. With GSAK if I want to copy a few waypoints from one GPX file to another, I have to set a filter, delete the waypoints I don't want to copy, import the second file, filter some more, etc. Maybe there's a way to do all this easier, but like I said, there's no guide for newbies.

Team GPSSaxaphone:

You ought to either start your own thread or post in the GSAK one. Everything you're doing seems to be much more complicated then it needs to be.

I'm not sure if you're using User Flags or not, but if you aren't look at that. It allows you to select and then filter on those specific caches. Otherwise, you should be able to specify all the criteria in the Filter tabs for what you want to do.

I'm not sure what you mean by "save the file you're working on". Do you mean a Filter set or do you mean the entire database (it will do both easily) or do you mean something else?

And a lot of time, if you explain what you're trying to accomplish, vs the steps you are taking, someone can provide you with either a macro, or filter, or something to automate or simplify the process.

Not to sound rude, but as I stated, I don't give a crap about putting things on maps. And I don't have a laptop to take w/ me to move data around in the field. I just want it to automatically remove waypoints from my GPS after I mark them as found, update its own info on the cache status, and preferably remove the entries from CacheMate too, though I move them to my Found folder in CM, then Found and Logged folder once I've logged it on GC.com. It's ok for sending waypoints TO the GPS. CM has its own little app that puts the cache info and logs (though I don't add the logs) into my Palm; I do that every weekend to keep it fairly up-to-date. I dunno, maybe I just don't have the same criteria for use as others here. I avoid the maps, just take the GPS w/ its coords and the Palm w/ CM and its cache info and start hunting.

Also, I didn't put a smily in my original post. I hate those things generally. I wonder what set of characters generated that.

Sorry about telling you what I use GSAK for.

You asked us to try and convice you it is worth the money. We tried to explain how we use it and why it is worth our money.

Also if as posted above, you only have 11 finds in 2 years you don't have the bug enough as some of the rest of us have. You would be just as well off with what you have.

As for looking for a program that would delete the found cache from your gpsr, how hard is it to punch a couple buttons and do it yourself instead?

logscaler.

I'm surprised people are trying to help you. Your attitude is aweful. As has been stated many times above if you've only found 11 caches in 2 years I'm surprised you even invested $8 in Cachemate. You obviously don't have an open mind and don't want to be convinced that this is good software. I think the whole point of your thread is to bash GSAK.

The threads on new releases are not meant to be for newbies. Theres some power users in there pushing the software to the limits and providing Clyde with very usefull feedback and an occasional bug report. I consider myself a power user with the program but those threads often go over my head. No other peice of software I have ever used has continuesly improved the way this one has and every support email I have sent has been politly and timely answered.

I B) Clyde.

I think the whole point of your thread is to bash GSAK.

Ya think B) Me too. There are those who should spend some time in the 'Getting Started' thread before venturing off, and the first clue of someone who has left the 'Getting Started' thread too soon is someone who bashes GSAK !!! B)

Edited by wornout
Not to sound rude...

Whenever a post starts out that way, you know that even the poster thinks it's rude. How about starting out with something like, "Thanks for taking the time to reply. But that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I don't think I stated my requirements quite right. What I'd like to know is ..."

You'd be amazed how much more willing people will be to help you out. As it is, good day to you, sir. I said, GOOD DAY!

There is some seriously cool stuff you can do with GSAK.

• Filter caches along a route. This allows you to create a route and then specify a maximum distance from that route. This is great for long trips.
  • Caches inside a polygon. This allows you to filter based on an arbitrary polygon, rather than just a radius.
  • It allows you to combine multiple pocket queries.
  • Export to maps. I doesn't matter if you don't have a laptop with you. I don't, and I find this invaluable. It allows you to view areas that you might be interested in going and see what looks interesting. It allows you to figure out where you want to filter out, where you want to center your radial search, etc. Basically, it's a planning tool that you use 'the night before', not while you are out caching.

Of course, this is only really useful if you plan to do a handful of caches a day. If you are the type that would rather find one a month, then you could probably just get by with standard pocket queries wihtout needing all the extra horsepower.

--Marky

Edited by Marky

Thanks

Since you asked.....

I have various macros in GSAK which do the following with a few clicks:

• automatically downloads all gpx files waiting in my mailbox
  • Runs a 'bat file which renames the gpx files something sensible
  • Loads the gpx files into their respective databases.
  • Applies a default filter that I use.
  • Creates a csv file ready for importing into memory-map with custom icons and hyperlinks to the online cache page
  • (and it will shortly copy the gpx file to my pda)

I love the filtering options you can do, changing centre points, removing virtuals or events, removing very difficult caches from a seelction prior to a big caching day out. I also have a standard polygon which gives me just caches from a certain area of the UK when I use it as a filter.

[*]Filter caches along a route.  This allows you to create a route and then specify a maximum distance from that route.  This is great for long trips.

I just got back from a business trip to Palm Springs. Before I left, I used MapSend Topo, GSAK, and MS Streets and Trips to create a list of caches within 1/2 mile of the freeway to and from Palm Springs, including detailed directions to each cache.

pins.jpg

directions.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, even the ones that attacked my character. Sorry I sounded like a dick that second time, and it was not my intention to bash GSAK. I'm sure it's great for some of you. I just wondered if I could make it automate a couple functions for me, and apparently no, it can't.

As was pointed out, I joined the forum 2 years ago to get some information about GPSrs and about the sport in general. I did a few caches, then got snarled up in several other hobbies that kept me busy on my days off for a while. I did find more caches than I logged, I just neglected to log them in here. Now that the weather is getting better I decided to dust off the Legend and get back outside. I probably don't have "the bug", but I'll still be out looking on the weekends.

Basically, I'd like a place to archive all the caches I've downloaded in PQs, which I can (preferably automatically) update to indicate which caches are found and remove them from my Garmin Legend. If there isn't an app that can remove them, then yes, I can do it manually. I don't travel much, and have no real interest in keeping tracklogs or stuff like that on maps; I just wanted something to make a couple tedious tasks easier. I think my questions regarding that are answered.

Thanks to all the helpful replies and the email I got; I'll go through it a little more in-depth later, but for now I'm satisfied with the answers I've gotten.