Virtual Geocaching

By using this program: http://activeworlds.com

I have been using it for years and I am thinking we can make virtual GC'S ON it heh,

You can give coordinates and build trees and stuff build highways (i have made many hehe) and mabye make virtual ammo boxes :P Just no Log books and TN and LN :|

My name in there is GC so if ya can meet me that'd be great :P

Just an Idea

Ok. I don't want to dump on virtual reality here. In fact I do dabble in a little World of Warcraft. However I tend to cringe when I think of an online version of geocaching. It's definitely fun and novel but the goal of the site is to use technology to go outdoors, not to simulate it! :P

Ok. I don't want to dump on virtual reality here. In fact I do dabble in a little World of Warcraft. However I tend to cringe when I think of an online version of geocaching. It's definitely fun and novel but the goal of the site is to use technology to go outdoors, not to simulate it!  :P

Warcraft, warcraft, warcraft, warcraft.....

By using this program: http://activeworlds.com

I have been using it for years and I am thinking we can make virtual GC'S ON it heh,

You can give coordinates and build trees and stuff build highways (i have made many hehe) and mabye make virtual ammo boxes :huh: Just no Log books and TN and LN :|

My name in there is GC so if ya can meet me that'd be great :(

Hi - I am thinking about creating a cache within Second Life. If any one else on here is a resident in Second Life, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Second Life is a 3-D virtual world entirely built and owned by its residents. Since opening to the public in 2003, it has grown explosively and today is inhabited by 650,000 people from around the globe.

Second Life

If anyone is a resident there - my in-world AV name is Brand Woodin - drop me a IM and we can plan the first cache! :(

There is now a Second Life group called SL Geocachers, the membership is about fifty users. There are currenly eight caches in the SL world.

We are working on a new way to geocache using a virtual GPS that tracks coordinates in a more realistic way (latitudes and longitudes) instead of the <x,y,z> vector that is used in Second Life.

Ok. I don't want to dump on virtual reality here. In fact I do dabble in a little World of Warcraft. However I tend to cringe when I think of an online version of geocaching. It's definitely fun and novel but the goal of the site is to use technology to go outdoors, not to simulate it! :huh:

Here here! I was Painfully reminded of this fact the other day when my son and I were playing a new Xbox game of a father and son playing catch...

Stolen from Dennis Miller...

--MGb

Ok. I don't want to dump on virtual reality here. In fact I do dabble in a little World of Warcraft. However I tend to cringe when I think of an online version of geocaching. It's definitely fun and novel but the goal of the site is to use technology to go outdoors, not to simulate it! :huh:

Here here! I was Painfully reminded of this fact the other day when my son and I were playing a new Xbox game of a father and son playing catch...

Stolen from Dennis Miller...

--MGb

:(:(:(:(

Ok. I don't want to dump on virtual reality here. In fact I do dabble in a little World of Warcraft. However I tend to cringe when I think of an online version of geocaching. It's definitely fun and novel but the goal of the site is to use technology to go outdoors, not to simulate it! :D

I see that you wrote this response in 2005, Jeremy. That may have been true then, about the goal being to explore the outdoors. But the first time a micro went on a lamp-post in a Wal-Mart parking lot, it's changed for a lot of people. There's nothing adventurous or outdoorsy about Wal-Mart. And the fact that these caches are routinely approved says to me that the goal hs shifted somewhat.

Frankly if it's a choice between geocaching on Second Life and hopping in and out of a car in parking lots, I think I'd choose the former, despite what my book says about geocaching enabling people to explore the outdoors.

Jeannette

www.JeannetteCezanne.com

Ok. I don't want to dump on virtual reality here. In fact I do dabble in a little World of Warcraft. However I tend to cringe when I think of an online version of geocaching. It's definitely fun and novel but the goal of the site is to use technology to go outdoors, not to simulate it! :D

I see that you wrote this response in 2005, Jeremy. That may have been true then, about the goal being to explore the outdoors. But the first time a micro went on a lamp-post in a Wal-Mart parking lot, it's changed for a lot of people. There's nothing adventurous or outdoorsy about Wal-Mart. And the fact that these caches are routinely approved says to me that the goal hs shifted somewhat.

Frankly if it's a choice between geocaching on Second Life and hopping in and out of a car in parking lots, I think I'd choose the former, despite what my book says about geocaching enabling people to explore the outdoors.

Jeannette

www.JeannetteCezanne.com

Well, there were certainly plenty of LPCs when Jeremy made that post, so I doubt that the focus has really changed that much. That being said, LPCs are not incredibly hard to avoid, if you try.