First

prospectorgunter

If you do what I did, you may come up empty the first couple times. You probably will want to start with an easy one, a 1/1.

Remember that there is a margin of error with a GPSr for both the hider and the finder. Go to where the coordinates say to go then start working outward.

Also, when you get out there, think about where someone could hide something without digging. If necessary, use the hint.

Most of all, have fun!!

The other 2 have said it all realy:

a couple of pointers though:

Trade equal or more than that the item you take.

Take a couple of item's with you, as this can help.

You might find a cache not stocked well. If we find one like this then we replace a few items and don't take anything.

It's also a good idea to take a couple of Zip loc bags with you, atleast one for what your going to put in, but some times a cache needs a little help with it's waterproofing.

Often cachers can't visit a cache they have placed so it's up to us to help preserve that cache for further use by others.

Kids Caches and Mayhem what a day in the celtic tribal city.

One of the first tings to do is play with the GPS, press all the buttons, view all the screens. Maybe go to local park or school grounds, turn on GPS, and let it acquire satellites, and pick our a landmark, water fountain, or home plate, a tree or something, set it up as a way point in GPS. Walk quite a ways away from selected point. Then use GPS to "find" your way back to "target" way point, do not go in straight line back to "target". What your are doing is learning how the GPS reacts to your change in directions and how it responds as you approach your "target" location, you many even want to purposely walk past selected point to see how GPS responds. Understanding its response to your directional changes will make it simpler to find way point in unfamiliar terrain.

Out on a search for a real cache, once you have located the "position" for a cache, look around. there will probably not be any neon sign stating cache is "here". You may have to look under bushes, in wood piles inside fallen rotted logs. Look for something "slightly out of ordinary" in nature, and that will probably be clue as to where cache may be.

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------

Plug in the coordinates of the cache (your owner manual should tell you how) and hit the GO TO button (again, your owner manual will tell you how). Once you start moving, the Navigation screen will point to the cache and tell you how far you are away from it.

There could be as much as a 60 ft margin of error, so when it says you're 5 feet away, realize that you may not be that close.

Look for something that seems out of place. A pile of rocks, sticks, or bark. Also check in hollow stumps, and in crevices among rocks.

Once you find the cache and log in, make sure you rehide it the way you found it.

Happy hunting and good luck!

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

Don't try to go after a micro on the first couple trips. They can be much harder to find.

Once the GPS shows you have arrived, a 5-m error is typical, so follow what BrianSnat said in that radius.

There are threads in these forums about the type of trinkets are good to leave. Signature items are cool. I could do without the rusty, crusty batteries leaking on everything else.

Read about travel bugs and what to do with them before you find one.

Find a city park without tree cover and push a small stick (like golf tees) into the ground. Mark each of those spaces as a waypoint on your GPSr. Select a fixed starting location and see if you can get back to your waypoints. Take noice of how many satellites have a fix as you do this. You will learn an approximation of your units accuracy.

She said, "Give up caching, or don't come home." Dang I am gonna miss her!

1008879416.gif ]

psublue.gif

I found a suggestion in this forum that I found extremely helpful: Get a compass!

the GPSr doesn't always know which direction you are heading particularly if you are moving slow, or just turned around.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures