Permission To Hide A Cache

hello,

I am trying to hide my first cache but can not find a spot without having to get permission from the county etc.

I am in Sarasota, Florida.

Does anyone else have this problem and how hard is it to get permission?

It has been a major hassle and is putting a damper on my geocaching experience now.

thanks

I've never had a problem getting permission to hide a cache from any county or city I've contacted. Most are not aware of the activity and are surprised when somebody acts responsibily and askes permission first. My suggestion is to print off the rules sheet to give to them.....and make up some handouts for them. Then call and set up an appointment and go. Offer to take them out on a geo-trip to a local cache.

I now have the county I live in referring all requests to place caches in the parks directly to me......(boy was I ever surprised at that!!)

By taking this step, you show your concern for any sensitive areas and they appreciate it. This is good for the sport.....go for it!!

I've placed a few caches without permission. I now really regret it. A person in our community came across it while mushroom hunting. Nobody, including the park people had ever head of geocaching. It caused quite a scare for the people involved. It has all worked out well in the end, thankfully.

I've also placed a few with permission. The State of IL has very clear guidelines on cache placement in IDNR properties. The land manager was very interested and very accomodating. He even suggested a site for another cache. I took him up on the suggestion.

Asking for permission is in the guidelines, and it helps build good community relations.

i have had good luck obtaining permission so far. in fact, i was excited to receive this response from one parks and rec department:

Yes, you can put a geocache in the park. *** ******  our director loves to

geocache and we would love to get the coordinates when you place it. Sorry

it took so long to respond, our internet was down. Thank you for letting us

know you wanted to place one. We are very excited.

i find ePodunk to be helpful in locating city websites and parks and rec department contacts.

Drop into the Florida Geocaching Website FloridaCaching.com especially useful for you would be the Park Management thread and the SouthWest Region thread.

Definitely!

The local organization should save you a lot of time in researching whom to contact for permissions. If they have a contact for you already, that person (or group) is likely already aware of geocaching, saving you the time you'd need to explain it. :huh:

Good luck! :D