What Do You Wear?

With the warmer weather approaching, I was wondering what other cachers wear while out in the woods.

In the cooler weather, I have my jacket with lots of pockets for my GPSr, PDA, and swag. What will I do in the summer? My Hydrapak won't hold much. My PDA can go on my belt, but what about swag and GPSr (I have broken a few of the belt clips, and almost broke my 60c while on my belt)?

I was thinking about getting a fishing vest (Fathers Day is approaching), but thought I would check with the masses for a consensus.

Avrohead

Last year I bought a pair of lightweight Columbia fishing pants. They have pockets like cargo pants and legs that unzip so that they can turn into shorts. They are good for keeping the PI off of my legs while not making me warm (assuming that I didn't remove the legs...). Got them on sale for $20. Worth every penny.

I have a few pairs of lightweight Ex Officio pants. They are nylon and very cool and breathable, but protect my legs from thorns, etc. Another nice thing about them is that they dry out quickly if they get wet. I wear my GPS clipped to my belt and there is a side pocket on my leg where my PDA goes. Everything else is in my pack.

1066bf02-468d-4329-ad5c-2db85b0eda43.jpg

For shirts I usually wear a light weigh Coolmax t-shirt.

Edited by briansnat
Go Commanddo!!!

:unsure:

I was kidding. Most of the time, jeans, Nike boots, tee and cap. As the weather gets warmer, I'll move to lighter pants and a fishing shirt. They breathe pretty good and have lots of pockets. They have some good ones at Academy Outdoors, the Megellian line. I've used them for other activities. Now I can add GC to their resume.

:blink:

I have three pairs of those "convertible" pants. They are great because I can wear them as shorts, but if the terrain and vegetation demand it, I can zip the legs back on.

I use a large fanny pack (cooler than a backpack) that can hold all my stuff including swag, two cameras, Palm, and all the other Essentials.

Here in the Puget Sound area it is not as warm as other places, so I usually wear about the same all year around. Being an old man and smarter than some of the younger group, I wear protective clothes. I usually wear Karhhart shirt and jeans to protect me from the nettles and blackberry vines. If it is wet, I wear rubber soled hiking boots. I usually wear either a fly fishing vest or a photographers vest to carry all my gear. However most of the Geocachers around here wear shorts and short sleeve shirts in the summer and have the scratches to prove it. Also don't forget the leather gloves and hiking stick. Dick, W7WT

I usually wear a vest like this: http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=5659&tabID= but am soon getting a bag like this: http://www.1sks.com/store/maxpedition-ther...-versipack.html

I'm big on pockets. There's no water bottle holder on the Thermite pack, but it has plenty of room for phone, GPS, PDA, spare batteries, a mini maglite, bottle of Off, etc, etc. I'm looking into some goretex hiking boots; I currently wear Hi-Tec hiking shoes. Very comfy. Tee shirts and jeans, or shorts if it's warm & I'm not bushwhacking.

Typically, any shorts with cargo (my pockets are usually loaded) and a short sleeved shirt or light jacket depending on conditions. I usually wear sandals and my Australian kangaroo skin bush hat. If I'm in the woods, I carry my staff and a small backpack.

I often encounter unpleasant brushes with nettles, (and momentarily hate myself), and return with scratches and abrasions, but at least I'm not allergic to poison ivy.

About the only time I wear long pants and shoes in the summer is if I'm heading into densly populated snake country. :blink::unsure:

Clothes are for sissies!

For warm weather wear, I favor a pink tutu and tights, accessorized with Mickey Mouse ears, and a spit-polished pair of Doc Martens. The muggles don't come near me. The down side is I gotta cache alone.

For cool weather, I like a dove gray clawhammer coat, with matching top hat and gloves, dark grey striped trousers and a white bow tie. Spats are good, too--especially over Doc Martens. This outfit is perfect if one may encounter the queen while bushwhacking through the bull briars.

Edited by reveritt
For warm weather wear, I favor a pink tutu and tights, accessorized with Mickey Mouse ears, and a spit-polished pair of Doc Martens. The muggles don't come near me. The down side is I gotta cache alone.

Oh, stop, I'm cryin' over here!!! I wish you had worn that outfit to the kayak event!

I was just thinking about getting some sort of convertible pants. I REALLY prefer shorts, but my legs took a beating on the trails last summer.

I just got an interesting pair of lightweight nylon-type pants at Old Navy - they roll up and snap in place at ankle, calf, or knee. I bought them for work, but I might have to get a pair for the trail as well.

Today I wore my usual cutoffs, t-shirt, and Danner hiking boots. It was 60° and sprinkling in the mountains which was perfect weather for me, but 80+ at a cache in the Snake River canyon which was also the hardest hike of the day. :P

Keep all my stuff in a backpack so I don't have to worry about forgetting anything when I take off on a moments notice hoping to bag a FTF. :P

I wear long pants and a t-shirt with cruddy shoes. I then have my geocaching pack and also a hydro pack (we all wear one), saves us from taking water bottles and having to carry them. Once in awhile I will wear a hat to help keep the ticks out if I know I will be going into think brush.

Permethrin treated light weight zip off pants (similar to what brian posted, but a different brand), tank top, lightweight permethrin treated travel shirt. I have enough pockets and such to carry what I need and I usually also have my pack with me.

What's the brand for the treatd clothes?

Generally, I'm always carrying a pack of one type or another. And if I'm not carrying one, I'm probably only after one small cache, so I only have the minimal items I need in my pockets.

During the summer, I pretty much dress normally. I wear a pair of khaki cargo shorts. (They have to be like traditional shorts, though, not necessarily canvas but no nylon.) Definately avoid nylon shorts, because they can be torn into shreads while in heavy brush. Basically, I leave my lower legs open by wearing shorts because I'm more comfortable, and I figure I have enough bandaids to take care of any serious problems with thorns.

On top, I generally just wear a t-shirt. But if I know I'll be anywhere where there might be brush or some serious bushwacking, I'll bring my "brush shirt." It's basically just a light-weight, long sleeve, button up shirt that I can put on while bushwacking to protect my arms...

Most of the year I wear a custom geocaching vest (shown here over similarly colored jacket). It allows me to have everything readily available, always in it's place. External antenna mesh pocket on the shoulder is not visible. I'm a jeans and Merrill Gore-Tex boots in any weather guy since I don't walk around anything and tend to get shredded. cd400bbe-2adb-4583-bcf5-d3bc91bfe130.jpg

Edited by Quoddy

Short walk - sneakers, shorts, t-shirt, GPS.

Long walk - sneakers, shorts, t-shirt, fanny pack, walking stick, GPS.

Walk with thorns/poison ivy/snakes - long pants, thicker sneakers, t-shirt, walking stick, GPS.

For a cache hidden in South Carolina - GPS concealed in a thermos, fanny pack with cell phone with lawyer's number on speed dial.

If I'm up here at home (Washington State), I wear cargo pants, shirt (sleeve length determined by temp), a canvas fedora, waterproof hiking shoes.

I also take my walking stick, and fishing vest. I always take leather golves. I'll wear the vest if it's gonna be a long walk. It will carry everything I need, plus water bottles.

I take safety glasses with me, cuz I have poked myself in the eye with a tree a couple of times. B) Sometime, I even wear them. But usually, they are parked up on my hat.....

When we were caching in Hawaii, I wore shorts. Probably will in California, too.

Here behind the redwood curtain in Nor Cal. where the average summer temp is in the low 60's and 70'anything is a heat wave that causes everyone to head for any building that is known to have an air conditioner. But we don't really get sun here anyway, so far this month we have had 3.22 in of rain and another storm is on its way. I like to carry one of those inflatible rafts, for any stream/road crossings I might have to make. To keep myself dry from this downpore I have fashioned a parka using sea mammale blubber and the skins of whatever small mammals I have managed to catch w/ my bare hands. We are so remote, that I ended up making my GPSr from 17 different computers and one small portible TV. Muggles see me with it and think I am some supernatural witch or warlock. "How could he have such powers".

NO really I wear shorts and light weight shirt, Demos wears pants and a t-shirt. We always wear good hiking boots, "don't want to lose traction on those steep sea cliffs". If it is warm I bring my camaleback "cloudwalker" hydration system, it can carry all my stuff and 2L of water. If it is not warm I have a mountainsmith swift lumbar pack that works great as an over the sholder bag with it's included strap. It has pockets for two water bottles (we use these to hold the GPSr's when we get to ground zero; easy access on the trail. It could also hold water B) ) and a large pouch that will hold anything I might need(bug repelant, first aid, trade items, small flashlight, a folded copy of the GC we are on). It also has a small pouch that is compleatly water proof that we keep a cell phone in.

I swear I am not a Mountainsmith or camelback salesman, they just works for us.

No mammales are actually harmed in our GC'ing. B)B)

Phobos and Demos

We seek out geocaches off of the easy path, so rain or shine, winter or summer, I wear my Gortex Gaiters. They keep me free of mud, thorns, poison ivy, and are mostly water proof when quickly crossing small streams that are over ankle deep. I use and recommend the OR Crocodiles as do most of my friends.

Permethrin treated light weight zip off pants (similar to what brian posted, but a different brand), tank top, lightweight permethrin treated travel shirt. I have enough pockets and such to carry what I need and I usually also have my pack with me.

You treat the clothes with Permethrin yourself. You spray it on nand allow it to dry. It's supposed to be good for several washings--seems to work pretty well for me.

Jeans usually (LEVIS - My madison avenue-hating friend...because they fit me the best). But I DO have a pair of EX OFFICIO pants I bought at REI (a co-op that sells all outdoor gear you can imagine). I bet this summer I break those out...if I can fit into them. Of course, many more 7 mile hikes and I bet I will be able to wear them again (middle age spread were making them a bit tight).

I'll second the Campmor recommendation, and add that Sierra Trading Post often has very good deals.

I got my Lowa "summer" boots from them for about 50% off retail.

For what it is worth, I vote Campmor for light travel shirts over other brands. They are not only cheaper, but better quality over several in my opinion. I have a Columbia travel shirt that wrinkles like mad and the buttons fell off quick. I also have an REI that was OK, but had a seam come loose quick. The Campmor brand had no such problems and was cheaper to boot.

I treat them myself. I buy a spray can of permethrin at the local outdoor or sporting goods store and spray the clothes. It lasts for about 3 weeks and 2-3 washes. Columbia does sell treated clothes, but the premium they charge is not worth it my mind. You have to re-treat them eventually anyway (and I suspect sooner than they claim), so my recommendation is to buy untreated and spray them yourself.

- Tahoe Rim convertible sun-protective hiking pants...quick drying, lightweight and durable.

- Aventura Escape long sleeve shirt...quick drying nylon, four large chest pockets for my gear, with a vented mesh back to keep me cool.

- Approach LumbarMax Pack...compact stable pack with room for my water bottle as well as a large main compartment plus smaller organizer pocket and two front mesh pockets.

- Gore-Tex mid-cut Ridge Runner Hikers

- my Aquapac waterproof GPS Case that allows me to use my GPSr without having to remove it from this rugged case

- and I usually throw in a 1lb. sack of mixed GORP for me and my companion to munch on. Good stuff.

- a can of spray on Cutter's DEET Deep Woods

And oh yeah, in our family, the wifey wears the kilt.

Edited by Team cotati697