Dead Emap, What To Do?

So I have a Garmin eMap (well out of warranty of course) that I pulled out of its drawer today and tried to use. I think the unit still works, I can get it to beep on occasion and when I turn on the backlight it lights up, but there is never anything on the screen. I have another GPS unit and haven't used this one in ages, but it was working fine when I put it in the drawer.

If anyone has any brilliant ideas on getting it to work that would be great, but assuming that it's beyond repair I was hoping someone knew what to do with it. I can't just throw it away obviously, but where can I properly dispose of electronics gear like this if it's truly dead?

-Rob

First thing I'd try is to adjust the contrast: hold in the backlight button for at least a second and then hold down the right edge of the keypad.

Next would be the complete reset sequence: power on while pressing the ESC key, then tap the right keypad followed by the ENT button (it normally asks for confirmation, so you press the right keypad to highlight 'Yes' and then ENT). This will delete all user data and reset the unit to its default settings.

Next up would be to try reloading the firmware. Download the current (2.90) firmware from the Garmin website if you don't already have it and download it to the eMap.

Finally give Garmin's tech support a call and see if they know any other options to try.

Hi, first of all sorry for reflooding an old post but I need some help.

I’ve got an eMap that has been working fine until a few months ago. Last week I wanted to use it again but it started to do the same thing as Rob’s one did. I know it works but the screen is dead.

I tried adjusting the contrast as Peter said with no luck, then I tried to reset it but the screen is still dead.

I know it’s a very old device but I kinda like after so many years of good performance.

Giving some more info, the batteries where a little bit sulfated but nothing worrying. Even though, I disassembled it and there’s no corrosion or something loosen inside as I thought maybe a screen cable could be broken.

Thanks in advance, Borja.