German Geocoin

Jerseytrex

Considering it is my heritage, I am trying to get a couple of German geocoins.

I am surfing their site and checking things out, emailing them for info when it hits me.

Why is the German Geocoin in English?

I know that most of europe speaks english but why when German is their first language/native language would they put "Geocaching Germany" with the back "World of Geocaching" "Track this coin at" all in English?

I dont get it. :laughing:

Every time I have been to Germany, hoping to brush up on my German, everyone I met took one look at me and addressed me in English! Didn't help much.

All international and most domestic aviation radio banter is in English as well, oddly enough. Had radios been introduced to aviation 20 years earlier than they did its very likely everything would have been in French, its all a matter of who was the 'leading' nation in aviation at the time.

This story gets passed around on pilot forums a lot, not sure if its true:

A Pan Am 727 flight waiting for start clearance in Munich overheard the following:

Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"

Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."

Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in Germany. Why must I speak English?"

Unknown voice from another plane (in a British accent):

"Because you lost the bloody war."

I lived in Germany from Jan 98-Dec 03 and not everyone in Germany speaks English, most actually do not, unless you hang out around a military base.

However, I can tell you I belonged to another international organization that originated in the US and all business was conducted in English no matter where we were. Even when I went to events in Finland, Sweden, Estonia, or the Netherlands business was conducted in English. Occasionally, a certificate would be presented in the native language for non-English speakers.

The reason Geo-coins are in English is because geocaching started in the U.S. If Geocaching originated in Germany their coins would be in German.

I lived in Germany from Jan 98-Dec 03 and not everyone in Germany speaks English, most actually do not, unless you hang out around a military base.

However, I can tell you I belonged to another international organization that originated in the US and all business was conducted in English no matter where we were. Even when I went to events in Finland, Sweden, Estonia, or the Netherlands business was conducted in English. Occasionally, a certificate would be presented in the native language for non-English speakers.

The reason Geo-coins are in English is because geocaching started in the U.S. If Geocaching originated in Germany their coins would be in German.

But the coins are not designed and minted by geocaching.com - it is just a listing service. The geocoins are made my individuals and group separate from Groundspeak. Having an US influence might be part of it.

I work for a German company and all official business is conducted in English regardless of what country the meeting is in.

Oh well, the coins look pretty cool - Like an olympic medallion!

I totally understand that there is no German word for Geocaching.

But the rest could be German. Even though its only a few small words.

I dont care all that much really since I am American. It was just an observation really.

Thought some might like to chime in.... ;)

So, I just spent awhile on the German Geocoin site, and, well, it is all German. I found a translation page, then I realized that when it asked for "land", there was no United States as a country.

Hmmm.

You can email them and they will respond to you. They do ship to the US just the shipping is a bit expensive.

Have you ordered yours? If so, how did you get the country to work out? I was able to get all the other aspects of the order form figured out except that part. I did e-mail them and time difference is 9 hours so I expect an answer before I go to bed... :P

On there webpage there is a button (in German) that will bring you to an email link or form that you fill out with your name and info.

I did that and received an email back the very next day. I was given a paypal account to send money to and told them my USA address and they received payment and shipped out the next day after that. As stated above they are very nice and understand English well.

Good luck. :P

My two German Geocoins arrived today. Very quick mail service, and a super guy to have to deal with. I activated one of them, but will probably give the other to my brother, a new cacher in TN.

It would be nice if the German Geocoin icon were a bit different from the USA Geocoin icon.