Any 96 Users?

I just ordered the 96 monochrome for flying, seems to have pretty good resolution and I have never been huge on color screens, although the new TFT ones are NICE in sunlight, but I ended up selling the 76C to pick up the aviation one. I could just load the aviation waypoints via the online filter,but to get the same level of the online database with all of the fixes navaids and airports and obstacles, my radius would be like 160 miles but for about 65 more bucks I get the database for the entire Americas including obstacles..seems a bargain..as well as keeping the autouting should I desire to use it. What the 96 gives up is a more detailed basemap, the 76C series has the same decent basemap as the Garmin V, whereas the 96 has the same basemap roughly as the 60 series. What is interesting is the 96 Color has even more map uploadable memory than the 76C, at like 119mb, but a bit pricey at 699. Have any of ya'll had a chance to play withese units..curious how well the map scroll is with the black and white one as well as the screen resolution since the manual only has pictures of the color screen.

Edited by wickedsprint

I have the black & white 76 GPSMap with electronic compass and altitude as well as the black & white 96 GPSMap. I like them both, but the 96 is a little better in several ways, I guess because it's newer. I bought it to take flying, and it works very well for that. The map scroll on both is fine. You'll like it. An extra, little-known feature is that you can use it in conjunction with Microsoft's Flight Simulator - it's as if you were really flying and using it for navigation. Let me know if you want to know how to set it up for that.

The Garmin 96 GPS interface with Microsoft's Flight Simulator only works with a serial connection.

First, select Start Simulator.

Then press Menu twice to go to the main menu, select Setup, and then Interface and press Enter. Then select Aviation In on that screen, and you're done.

You don't have to do anything in Microsoft's Flight Simulator (I've got 2004, but it probably works on earlier versions).

wow thanks, I will try that as soon as it comes in, that would be a pretty good way to get used to using the gps on the fly (pun) I have the serial cable for my V already plugged into the computer so at least I don't have to go hunting for that. I also have 2004 so it should work for me. How do you find the reception in the plane?

Well, in a Citabria (which I started to check out in because I was interested in buying a Midget Mustang (but never did because I test-taxied one for a day (intending to buy it) and was physically wiped-out and mentally stressed-out from that experience (I was 66))) the GPS has excellent reception both through the windshield and the top plexiglass. But you should probably use a remote antenna.

The Garmin 96 GPS interface with Microsoft's Flight Simulator only works with a serial connection.

First, select Start Simulator.

Then press Menu twice to go to the main menu, select Setup, and then Interface and press Enter. Then select Aviation In on that screen, and you're done.

You don't have to do anything in Microsoft's Flight Simulator (I've got 2004, but it probably works on earlier versions).

Do you need GPSout.exe for Flight Simulator to output GPS data to the Garmin GPS, that is plugged into a serial port??

Just wondering.

The manual is unclear, the HSI shows the desired course as it was when you inputed the GOTO, wish there was a way to use the heading BUG for either the next waypoint in the route or have a set of bearing needles programmed to whatever you desired like a Tacan/VOR setof double needles on an aircraft HSI

well it arrived today, the heading bug is in fact able to be set to bearing in the aviation mode thank goodness...do you mind looking at yours with the contrast turned up and telling me if your screen looks shifted to one side or crooked at all..debating if I should send in or hold off and do it at the outside of the year warranty.

no worries, I was at work so I have nothing to do but check them, I ended up returning it to sportys for an exchange. Thanks for checking yours, I appreciate it, she said the other one she checked was also shifted, so this may get interesting.

How much was the Black n White GPS 96?