Good Items For A Small Cache

Thot

I've simply drawn a blank. I cannot think of good items to put in a small cache (diamonds are out :anibad:).

When I think back on it I don't remember ever seeing any worthwhile stuff in small or micro caches. You see things like tiny plastic items such as a half-inch tall horse, nickels/dimes, tiny balls or beads but nothing I'd think anybody'd be interested in. When I browse the dollar store the interesting items I find are too large.

Suggestions?

edit typos

Edited by Thot

I have found that another good place to look for items is in a party store like Party City. Foriegn coins of folded up foriegn bills is always a good pick. You can pick up bundles of money of ebay. Little shells, fossils, gold nuggets, tiny hat pins, etc. I sometimes use fake arrowheads that I buy here in my town for .10 each at a local store. Depends on how small you micro is. I found I can fit quite a bit in a 35MM container. I also theme mine to get them started.....you might try that and let other people put stuff in. I even seen a piece of Coral Reef in one container! Of course I own that now :anibad: . Good luck!

Bracelet charms, small patches, appliques, decals, temporary tattoos, fast food gift certificates, small keychain fobs.

How small are you talkin'? I've seen "micros" that you could put a disposable camera in (probably now called a "small"), and I've got one myself that I can barely get the rolled up 3/4"x4 1/2" log sheet into.

Edited by Spencersb

I'm partial to coins. Merc dimes, buffalo nickels, Indian head pennies, Ike, SBA and Sacagewa dollars, etc. Also, those round, pin on compasses and zipper pull compasses, unactivated TBs, small travel packs of Handi Wipes, AA batteries, wheresgeorge bills, foreign bills, patches, buttons and pins.

I use replica spanish dubloons (Peaces of Eight), that look like they've been in a shipwreck. I get them from www.deadmentellnotales.com They're interesting and different, and they're only $.49 each.

A friend of mine uses presiential coins. I don't think they're too expensive either. IMHO it's best to use something that is, while inexpensive, personal to you in some way. I like pirates, it's the theme of my team, so I drop pirate coins. :rolleyes:

Consider using something that reflects you or something you enjoy. Along with my cache card, I always leave a DQ Coin which can be exchanged for a treat at your local Dairy Queen. I do this because I own a DQ. Another cacher I know leaves a certificate for a free pizza since he owns a pizza joint.

Scoob

I am a fan of neodymium magnets.

Sizes that are 1/2" or less in diameter are pretty much guaranteed to fit into any micro container and I have yet to meet someone who didn't think they were cool. The 1/2" by 1/8" size runs .50 to .60 cents each depending on volume so leaving 2-4 in a cache is cost effective as well.

Just don't get them near your GPS (within a couple inches) or anything else that can be harmed by magnets.

I always check out the jewerly counter at the thrift store. One time I found a dozen antique button covers for $2. I've also found interesting old medallions (sans chain) for under a buck. Mens tie and lapel pins are pretty neat sometimes.

One local cacher/rock hound uses polished pebbles as a sig item. I always snag those and save them for small/micro's.

Ah. I just got a brand new shipment of mixed world coins yesterday, so let me second that suggestion.

You can get them on eBay for around $7 a pound, including shipping. D'you have any idea how many coins are in a pound? The technical term is: buttwad. When you find a good dealer, a pound is, like, a year's worth of sig items -- not counting the especially cool ones you keep for yourself.

How small are you talkin'?

It's actually a "small" cache about the size of a larger medicine bottle. I don't have it handy but it's about 2" in diameter by about 3" inches long.

Sounds like a micro to me. most of the suggestions (coins, etc) are micro-trade items. I read small-sized container will hold a few regular-sized trade items, not just tiny micro-trade items.

For me, there is little more disappointing than looking for a listed "small" and finding an altoids tin or prescription pill bottle.

-------------------------------

From the guidelines:

Cache Types

Cache sizes for all caches that have a physical container.

* Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller, typically containing only a logbook)

* Small (Decon container, sandwich-sized Tupperware-style container or similar, holds trade items as well as a logbook)

* Regular (Tupperware-style container or ammo can)

* Large (5 gallon bucket or larger)

---------------------------------

When in doubt, I prefer it be listed as smaller, rather than bigger than it really is. What you are describing is barely larger than a film cannister, and not even close to a decon container or sandwich-sized tupperware container.

Just my .02

Ed

It's actually a "small" cache about the size of a larger medicine bottle.  I don't have it handy but it's about 2" in diameter by about 3" inches long.

Sounds like a micro to me. . . .

-------------------------------

From the guidelines:

Cache Types

Cache sizes for all caches that have a physical container.

* Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller, typically containing only a logbook)

I guess we each see different things. As I said I didn’t have it in my hands. Maybe it’s more like 2 ½ x 4.” It will hold 6 one inch marbles, a one inch superball, a Sacagawea dollar and a nice sized lapel pin with room for a little more. And, of course, a logbook.

To me, that doesn’t fit the description of something that’s ‘the size of 35 mm film canister or smaller that only contains a logbook.’

Edited by Thot
I generally don't trade... ever... but do like the . . . magnet suggestions - the magnets are a lot of fun, and the coins can be too.

I liked the rare earth magnet idea too. But those suckers are strong and I'd have a little concern that people not aware they were in the container or what they can damage might screwup their watch or credit cards or something else that can't abide meeting magnets face to face.