Jeremy Irish Published Interview

I guess I must be the only Geocacher in the world that reads (subscribes to) cpu (computer power user) magazine. This issue showed up in the mailbox on Monday (remember the day Law & Order: Criminally Incompetent aired?) and I just got around to looking at it today. What is that guy sitting on top of Teneriffe doing in my computer magazine? Well it's Jeremy! Nice two page Q&A interview. BUT, no specific plug for the website address. But, anyone reading the article could google the information provided to find the site.

Here is a link to the limited version of the article (availabe to non-subscribers): Jeremy Irish Interview with Teneriffe Photo

The print magazine contains a slightly abridged version of the interview due to space limitations, but here is the full online text available to me as a subscriber.

[i had to remove this until we received proper permission - Jeremy]

Edited by Jeremy

They did a really good job with that interview, I must say. Maybe this interviewing thing isn't all that bad (sorry Today's Cacher).

The thing that struck me the most is that I didn't sound as stupid as I thought I would. Interesting (and geeky) point about the triangulation deal. As inaccuracies go I think I did ok :anibad:

Red,

Thanks for posting the article, and yes I enjoyed reading it.

I know this is going to sound mean, but did you ever consider that there is a reason why the article is hidden from all non-subscribers? This is kinda like setting up your own site and freely publishing all of the members-only cache information on it for the general public so people don't have to join...

Hi ParrotRob I don't see it that way at all. They print that magazine to sell them. That issue sat around nearly 3 days before I even looked at it. Not a word on the forum. That means that have nearly ZERO penetration in this group.

I made one article in one issue of their publication visible to a very large untapped potential audience. I don't see the down side.

If cpu contacts Jeremy to complain, he is welcome to reveal my contact information to them.

Glad you enjoyed it.

And to think I can't even get him to do an interview with a magazine that is devoted to caching. :rolleyes:

El Diablo

Yeah I don't blame him with a rag like that. :rolleyes::ph34r:

Interesting interview, thanks for posting.

UMC, I won't tell anyone that you bought a membership to our rag magazine...nope I won't do it...I promise not to tell anyone. :lol:

Jeremey it's never too late. We would always be interested in an interview with you. Our readers ask for it all the time.

El Diablo

I know this is going to sound mean, but did you ever consider that there is a reason why the article is hidden from all non-subscribers? This is kinda like setting up your own site and freely publishing all of the members-only cache information on it for the general public so people don't have to join...

I agree in most cases this is true. But they're almost all my words so I give permission to show that bit of it. I doubt the reporter would mind but I can certainly check in with him.

You should definitely check, Jeremy. While they are your words, unfortunately, organized into an article, they are the magazine's copyright. As a researcher, I'm allowed to send out pre-publication copies of all of my papers. Once published, the journal's version is their version and I don't have the right to reproduce it any more than the next guy. As the defender of all things copyright here, you'd think you knew better.

In fact this is straight from their copyright info:

You may not, without obtaining Sandhills Publishing’s written permission, republish, redistribute, or otherwise make any copies of the materials on this site.
You should definitely check, Jeremy. While they are your words, unfortunately, organized into an article, they are the magazine's copyright. As a researcher, I'm allowed to send out pre-publication copies of all of my papers. Once published, the journal's version is their version and I don't have the right to reproduce it any more than the next guy. As the defender of all things copyright here, you'd think you knew better.

In fact this is straight from their copyright info:

You may not, without obtaining Sandhills Publishing’s written permission, republish, redistribute, or otherwise make any copies of the materials on this site.

In the world of law review publishing many times authors can get those clauses toned down so that free personal distribution is allowed. I have no idea how it is in other fields though.

I agree in most cases this is true. But they're almost all my words so I give permission to show that bit of it. I doubt the reporter would mind but I can certainly check in with him.

Especially given there are probably some convert fanatics who will go out and purchase the issue, just so that they can have a hard copy of the geocaching prophet's wise words on their coffee tables. :rolleyes:

In the world of law review publishing many times authors can get those clauses toned down so that free personal distribution is allowed. I have no idea how it is in other fields though.

In the high speed competitive world of scientific publishing, they'll sue you so much as look at you. :rolleyes: Kidding, although, I can't get a pdf of my opinion piece in a law review journal (J BioLaw & Business)...so I've not had as much luck as those authors, I guess.

I've never received any copyright problems from a journal and my lab puts pdf (exact duplicate) versions of our published papers on our website. However, I have been at a school whose scientific libraries got fined heavily for allowing students to use the copier with journals and books.

In the meanwhile, it was a good interview. I don't know how big of a readership CPU has, but it's definitely a good market for geocaching.