Need to get my first GPS. Map 330?

Guest johnm

I need to get my first GPS and I'm trying to decide on whether to spend the bucks to get a mapping unit. Is there a good reasonably priced compromise between units for hiking (eTrex, Magellan 315) and units for cars?

I'm considering the Magellan Map 330. Anyone have any experience with it (good or bad)? How does it compare with some of the other lower priced units?

I have a Map 330. It really kicks... 16 megs of memory, fully compatible with all good mapping programs, nice mapping and waypoint features. Kind of sucks batteries down fast, but even still it's served me well. Price is a little steep, but when I go to buy something, I buy to prevent the "gee I wish I would have spent a little more for the better model" attitude. It all depends on your budget. I've been ultra happy with me. One other downside, the learning curve is non-trivial. However, spending a little "quality time" with the unit will pay off big dividends.

- Froggy