A Newbies First Geocache Experience

KidEgo

Sorry If this posted in the wrong place, but I'm very new at geocaching and this website.

Hello, everybody. I'm new to the world of geocaching, as I've only had my eTrex Vista C for a couple of days now. I went on my first hunt with my wife yesterday, and attempted to do a mutli-cache. Well, amazingly enough, we were successfull on our first attempt. I've never used a GPS reciever before, so I was still learning as we went.

My question is more or less a specific one geared towards the operation of the eTrex Vista C: After obtaining the clues to the second part of the hunt, I had to put in a second waypoint. I don't believe there is anyway (and I could very wrong) to enter a second waypoint in the "Geocache" folder in the "Find" menu, so I had to make a mark with the proper coordinates. Should I then use the mark and use the "Go To" option? If I do, will that start me off from the location I am currently at, or will it try to lead me from a "home" starting point? If I use the Map button, that only shows me the map, and nothing else such as the ability to use a compass. Should I do something other than what I did to get to my desired location?

Sorry if this is a little confusing. It's very confussing to me, and I'm just looking for a little help.

Garmin etrex is simple once you learn it, but a bit confusing the first couple of tries. To enter a new "waypoint" you have to use the "mark" option on the menu. You can also get to the "mark" screen by pressing the top button on the left side of your etrex when you are in the Map or Navigate modes.

Once on the "mark" screen, use your little joystick to highlight the coordinate section on this page. Hit enter (press straight down on your joystick thingy), and you can then highlight and change the coordinates. Highlight "ENTER" on the typepad menu, and double-check the coordinates. Now you can hit goto and you'll be cooking with oil.

Edit: Or, what briansat said. You can edit your waypoint to enter new coordinates. Most folks like to keep the first point on a multi in their GPSr, in case something goes amiss and you want to go back to the start point. One multi I transposed some digits reading the redirection coordinates, didn't find the final, had to go back to square one to learn that I had a mild dislexic moment in reading, and really glad I had left the waypoint for the first point...

Edited by Jeep_Dog

Nothing too special here :laughing: , I got me new GPS about 5 days ago and I think I know almost everything about it. Just play around with it before you DL a bunch of waypoints and go out, and even if you fail the first few times it is an expieience! You will remember the times you got lost or didn't know how to use your GPS, have fun with it and just drive around with it on eveywhere you go!

(Push a lot of buttons) :unsure: