Converting Numbers

MadRat-

I have a little problem and I hope the answer isn't in the one FAQ I didn't read or that it's totally off topic.

I'm using two GPS receivers in the hope that adding their results together and averaging them will give a more accurate reading. One receiver gives one type of result and the other receiver gives another. Here is an example...

45 31.133 N 122 38.64 W

45.51888 N 122.64396 W

How can I convert from one to the other?

I'd suggest converting the first set to decimal degrees by dividing the minutes by 60 and add that to the whole degrees.

Therefore 31.133 / 60 = 0.5188833 degrees and 38.64 / 60 = 0.644 degrees, so it's...

45.5188833 N 122.644000 W

45.5188800 N 122.643960 W

You can either convert either one format to the other on the GPSr. Usually found on a main menu under settings.

Or, you can use this geocaching.com quick links page that has a convert and map coordinates portion that is very helpful in converting coordinates. It was once posted as a link by an admin... not sure whether or not he was supposed to share it with non-admin folks, but he did and I snagged it. :D

1. The easiest answer going forward is to change the settings on the unit that's displaying in decimal degrees. With both GPSr's reading in the same format, you can verify coordinates in the field without doing math. Me, I couldn't divide by 60 while simultaneously swatting mosquitos and tiptoeing through the poison oak.

2. The GeocachingAdmin.com site that Jeep Dog links to is a public page that is offered to the community by your friendly volunteer cache reviewers. There's no secret information accessible there. Please feel free to use it and to share the link with others.

1. The easiest answer going forward is to change the settings on the unit that's displaying in decimal degrees. With both GPSr's reading in the same format, you can verify coordinates in the field without doing math.

Thats what I would do. It takes a few seconds to do and can save you minutes of doing math. You want your display to be in DD.MM.MMM format on both units.

Edited by briansnat
1.  The easiest answer going forward is to change the settings on the unit that's displaying in decimal degrees.  With both GPSr's reading in the same format, you can verify coordinates in the field without doing math.

Best to set both in the same format - DD MM.MMM is sometimes called decimal minutes.

And don't forget about: Jeeep.com utility page

edit:spelling

Edited by StarBrand

Divide or multiply by 60. I knew it should have been obvious. Thank you for all the help. I also found the settings in Magellan's Nav Companion (I use GPS Companion for the Handspring Visor) to switch to DD MM.MMM.

Thank you for all your help. :rolleyes: