Midges

OK heres our suggestions for a non deet method.

Tea tree oil based products help keep them away.

Eucalyptus works as well.

and Bounce (honest we have used this)

Garlic bread works a treat

Bring bait :D with you they seem to eat Lynn alive and leave the rest of us alone :(

Olive oil gets rid of nits in hair though!

A friend of mine swears by Citronella (NO it's not a french car :D )

I just tend to use insect repellant from Boots. It seems to work OK on most wee beasties.

Unfortunately I think the only solution for Scottish midges is a sharp frost, or Napalm!!! :(

Eating Marmite® sandwiches apparently deters them. :D

Just eat marmite on it's own. I was on two heaped teaspoons a day for a week prior to last summers Scottish Geocachers Day Out on Ben Nevis.... as well as Avon Skin-So-Soft of course ;o)

and if you hate Marmite (weirdo!!) then taking vitamin B tablets will have the same effect. It works for cats!! :D

ps. I used to have a job where I bought in Marmite in in 25Kg tubs, which I then had to stick my arms in and delve about in... LOVELY!!

Edited by Alibags

Saw this item a while ago on another thread and so when we got a new lady appear with the book decided [as it was on special offer] to order a couple of extras to put in some caches. Now i see that there was a specific fragrance. Oh b****r does the 'soft and fresh' have the same repellant effect or can I see hate mail coming from 1/2 eaten cachers!! :unsure:

"Expedition 100" works for me.

Yes... I know it's 95% Diethyl Toluamide (DEET) and has been known to destroy some plastics. It probably isn't the nicest stuff in the world to put on your skin, but when you're sitting in a boat in the middle of Loch Awe being eaten alive by Scottish midges.... believe me.... you don't care as long as it keeps the little bu**ers away!!! And it does!!!

The Scottish midges are the worst blighters I've ever come across. We have found that normal mozzy rep will actually attract them. A brand called Jungle Formula (almost certainly DEET), will attract them but make them less likely to bite.

My experience is that citronella does jack, other than being relatively safe (ie if outside having a BBQ, I'd rather not use DEET if I'll be eating with my fingers, and can be used on kids).

Have heard rumours that drinkng gin makes them not want to bite. Not my drink of choice, but I could be persuaded next time. The marmite idea sounds much more like my style.

Having spent many months in French Guiana, we found that DEET is best, and citronella is almost as good against the mozzies.

Have to admit I didn't know about SSS.

It looks like Avon have stopped selling the Forest Fragrence coveted by walkers everywhere for its midge repellant skills. Does anyone know if the other fragrences work?

I meant to reply to this earlier but got sidetracked....my better half is an "Avon Lady" and informs me she's fairly sure Skin-So-Soft "Soft and Fresh" is the same as "Forest Fragrance" just repackaged and renamed.

The dry oil body spray (which is the best for use as a repellent) is normally £5, but this month is 3 for £6. If you don't have an avon lady my enterprising missus will post you a three pack for £8 inc p+p (email me at lordelph at gmail.com if you want to take her up on this once-in-a-lifetime offer!!)

Ding dong!