Question From A New Geocacher

geowhereisit?

Hello there fellow geocachers. I have never participated in an online forum before, so please forgive me if I make any mistakes (comments and suggestions are of course welcomed). My main question has to do with a geocaching experience I had this morning. When I arrived at the parking lot at a local park, there was another gentleman sitting in his car, and when I began to get close to where I thought the cache was located, I noticed he was VERY curious, and he came over to me and started up a converation. I had the distinct impression that he might be a fellow geocacher, but I did not know if I should ask or offer some sign that I was geocaching. Please feel free to educate me on the does and don'ts of a situation like this. Thanks! :D

You did well. I usually try to "feel" a person like that out. Strike up some kind of conversation and see if you can determine wether or not they might be interested in Geocaching. Point out your GPS, mention how neat the technology is, say you are "practicing" using it. If they are a fellow geocacher it should become obvious by then. If not, try and judge if they are receptive to the idea. Show them the Brochure from Geocaching U. Show them a cache page print out. If they aren't interested or seem a bit nosey - back off until you think it is safe to visit the cache. Better to wait a day rather than comprimise a cache with somebody that won't be receptive.

There is always the "hand on chin" unofficial salute as well.

I always wear my geocaching ball cap with the logo so it is obvcious, along with the window decals and stickers in the car. Goody bag and oh yeah - the El Diablo Geocaching staff.

Hope this helps.

My answer is a whole lot different from StarBrand's. True, perhaps he was just a friendly fellow, or maybe even another geocacher. However, I think you encountered a situation oft-discussed on these forums.

I suspect that this guy was waiting at the park for some other stranger to show up with similar intentions... so they could go off in the woods and get to know each other a little better. Believe it or not, this is not uncommon, although I've never encountered it in my geocaching. At least I haven't noticed.

If you think someone you meet is a geocacher, there is no harm in asking straight out. Usually geocachers will carry or display their GPS; they're hard to miss.

On the other hand, he could have simply been a friendly stranger interested in your unusual activity. There are lots of those around.

Jamie

I'm with Jamie (not in a literal sense) on this. He very well could have been cruising.

As far as how to handle this in general, there is no right answer. Its always better if non geocachers don't know where the cache is, so don't show them the cache. It will reduce the possibility of theft.

Whether or not you admit to geocaching is up to you. If the person seems like someone who might be interested in the sport (say if he is curious about your GPS), then perhaps you might explain it to him. If the person gives you a bad feeling. Maybe he's confrontational, or creepy, or just doesn't seem right, then it might be best if you tell him you're with the USGS team, recording unique geological features in the area.

If he'd been a geocacher, I don't see why he wouldn't have identified himself as such, since I assume you had your GPSr in hand. There isn't usually a lot of hedging around the topic, or secret handsigns or anything. I mean, you could say, "Are you a friend of Jeremy?" and wink, but you might get the wrong reaction...