Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Overland1

Anybody On 10-m Fm?

On the way home from last evening's shift, I set the FT-8900R to scan and it stopped on 29.62, where a couple of guys were talking. The signal at Ithaca, NY was approx. 1/4 scale or less, but easily readible. This was the KQ2H repeater near Woodstock, NY (a couple of hundred miles from me).

I do not have an antenna for 10-M, but will soon order a Larsen coil/whip so I can play on this band. Having operated 10-FM about 14 years ago, my interest is rekindled.

Now, if only Larsen would make a combination 6/10-M antenna (like they do with 146 and 450 mHz) with an NMO mount......

i haven't done 10m Fm in a couple of years but it carries very well daytime into the evening . probably the best atenna wil be a 1/4 wave vertical while mobile. the 10m fm simplex freq is i think 29.500. 73 de Mike,AA1PR>>>>>

I *must* get my General license. I need to quit procrastinating on learning code.

10m is one of the things I am most looking forward to. If I weren't planning on spending most of my birthday money on geocaching, I'd get a decent HF radio :ph34r:

Blue

Now, if only Larsen would make a combination 6/10-M antenna (like they do with 146 and 450 mHz) with an NMO mount......

Just run a splitter and use two antennas. I think you'll be waiting a long time before there is a dual-band 6m/10m that will do all of both bands. :anicute:

I had a look at the FT8900 but in my experience, DX on 6m/10m FM is nowhere near as good as SSB. I've also learned that 6/10m FM repeaters aren't very practical for mobile use. The machines themselves need to be well outside of any urban area to work at all. The noise on these bands when mobile is terrible in the city and that, sadly, limits range severely.

I have an Icom706MKiiG that I use for mobile 6/10m and its 99% on SSB. And believe me, I do like operating FM when I can.

C-A

On the way home from last evening's shift, I set the FT-8900R to scan and it stopped on 29.62, where a couple of guys were talking. The signal at Ithaca, NY was approx. 1/4 scale or less, but easily readible. This was the KQ2H repeater near Woodstock, NY (a couple of hundred miles from me).

I do not have an antenna for 10-M, but will soon order a Larsen coil/whip so I can play on this band. Having operated 10-FM about 14 years ago, my interest is rekindled.

BAH!!!

Buy a K-40 11 meter antenna and cut that puppy down.....

A CB antenna will VERY easily tune to 10 meter, and it is MUCH less expensive..

I have an old CB 1/2 wave vertical that I use for 10 meter, and it tunes 1.2 to one in the middle of the voice band.

The cycle for 10 s down BIG time, just as it is for most other bands.

Get a CB mobile antenna, tune it down, and you should be set for 10 meter FM...

Then again, I build most of my antennas, dipoles, yagis, mobiles etc.

If you want more info, let me know, if you're sold on buying an antenna, then buy an old 11 meter(CB) and tune it down, easy stuff, REALLY easy...

Edited by Meravella

There are repeaters on about four different repeater pairs on the ten-meter band. I usually hear the repeater down in Puerto Rico when the band opens up.

Ten is a lot of fun. I've worked all over the world when I was a Tech+.

73s,

Eric KF4OTN