New Gps Or Pda?

sbdrbyman_212

I just found out about geocaching and i instantly became hooked. I am interested in either purchasing a handheld GPS(new or used) or in some way using my brothers old handspring PDA. I have seen some GPR recievers that dont have screens or anything that you just plug into a PDA to view your results. I am wondering if many people do this, and if so which reciever to get and with which software. If it turns out i cannot this PDA, I was wondering which GPS unitsthe more experienced people would recomend. I also have a limited supply of money, probably only around 150 dollars. Thank you very much for all your input.

David

I would get a good, mid-level GPS (the eTrex Legend is very popular). A GPS is the most important tool used for geocaching.

An inexpensive PDA can be purchased on ebay later when you are ready to advance to paperless caching (not having to print out the cache pages). Paperless cacheing is great, not not nessesary to the sport.

Good Luck!!!

Ed

I would recommend the GPS over the PDA. The GPS module tends to drain the PDA battery quickly and most PDA's don't react well to dropping or water.

For $150, the Garmin Gecko or Etrex are an excellent choice. You can also check the GPS Garage Sale Forum where you can can find cachers who are selling their used units. You can get great deals on nice units in there. I recently sold an E-Trex Vista in there in perfect shape for $150.

Edited by WH

Go to Amazon and fill out their credit card app to get $30 off your next purchase. Then purchase the Garmin Etrex Legend for $103 after $30 discount. Now go to ebay and buy a Palm III for $30.

You really can't do much better for under $150 than this. It's everything you neeed and the best part is the Legend comes with a cable so you can download all caches straight to the GPS.

Scoob

Edited by Scoobie10

A PDA is not built to handle the abuse it will receive while geocaching. While geocaching, your GPS will get knocked around, dropped, rained on, dragged through brush and snowed on. It is built to take this.

I agree witht the others that a Legend is a great, inexpensive starter unit.

Edited by briansnat

Eventually you will want both. The PDA can hold all the information on caching you wish to hunt if you are a premium member. It will hold the cache information, any clues and the last 5 logs. I normally have 1000 caches loaded on mine. You will want a GPS that will allow you to download these caches to it so you don't have to manually the coordinates and possibly make mistakes causing you go to the wrong spot. (Of course that never happened to me :laughing: ) . You can cache with a lot less, but since I have gone paperless I have had a lot better luck finding caches.

A PDA is not built to handle the abuse it will receive while geocaching.  While geocaching, your GPS will get knocked around, dropped, rained on, dragged through brush and snowed on.  It is built to take this.

I'm still not sure why people think PDAs are flimsy.

I have a Rhino case on mine (aluminum), that I got before I started gcing. It's been with me on my 20-some-odd finds, in several environs, and it is holding up just fine. I even dropped it once.

I just try to be careful with it. It seems ok in the rain. Tho I've not been in pouring rain -- I'd probably give up the search and head back to my car in that case anyway.

I have pants with a leg-pocket, and I slide the PDA in there when I'm doing anything risky (where I'd need two hands anyway), like climbing trees or sliding down hillsides.

My vote is still for the PDA + GPS receiver.

Luna

Edit: spelling

Edited by Lunaverse
A PDA is not built to handle the abuse it will receive while geocaching.  While geocaching, your GPS will get knocked around, dropped, rained on, dragged through brush and snowed on.  It is built to take this.

I'm still not sure why people think PDAs are flimsy.

I have a Rhino case on mine (aluminum), that I got before I started gcing. It's been with me on my 20-some-odd finds, in several environs, and it is holding up just fine. I even dropped it once.

I just try to be careful with it. It seems ok in the rain. Tho I've not been in pouring rain -- I'd probably give up the search and head back to my car in that case anyway.

I have pants with a leg-pocket, and I slide the PDA in there when I'm doing anything risky (where I'd need two hands anyway), like climbing trees or sliding down hillsides.

My vote is still for the PDA + GPS receiver.

Luna

Edit: spelling

It's true that some PDAs are rugged. I can't find the reference, now, but I believe I read in one of my trade magazines that Trimble (known for electronic surveying equipment) has introduced a rugged Windows Mobile-based device. Like most things construction, it features a high-vis yellow outer casing.

I'm reading some replies, here, that suggest the purchase of a particular PDA for use during 'caching. I believe the original poster stated that he has access to a Handspring Visor. I do not know if there is anything available for this particular format. My understanding is that the visor is completely Palm-compatible, though I don't know which version. The first GPSr for Palm that I recall seeing was for the Palm V, I believe. If the Visor is Palm III compatible, this device wouldn't do you much good. I considered the same setup for my HPC, and though there are compatible GPSr devices, I am told they are only as reliable as the mapping software installed on the Handheld PC. I don't know how such devices report the coordinates, however, which for geocaching is more important. I have finally given up on this setup for three main reasons:

Battery drain - The HPC runs on a rechargeable 3.6V Li-ion battery and holds about a 2-3 hour charge with no peripherals. With a GPSr attached, the draw on the battery would reduce the life of the device to nearly unusable for geocaching.

Display - The color screen of the HPC is older technology and doesn't stand a chance against the sun.

Cost - Though I haven't priced the PCMCIA GPSr devices, I'm guessing that they run even higher than a comparable stand-alone handheld. Even if they are WAAS compatible, I'm willing to bet the handheld GPSr is more accurate, and obviously much better suited to Geocaching.

Despite these shortcomings, there is one huge avantage of my HPC. It has 32MB of built-in memory and accepts CF cards, including the newer 1GB cards. The eTrex Legend, a popular choice of GCers, has only 8MB and is non-expandable. Boy could my HPC hold a lot of maps, in comparison! ;+)

I do plan to utilize my HPC as a tool for geocaching, perhaps enabling me to go paperless. There are membrane keyboard overlays that could enhance its ability to withstand the environment.

I hope I've said something useful. :+)

-Kenny Anderson

PS--If there are any other HPCers in the Geocaching community, I'd love to hear from you.

Here's another advantage of the PDA method.

Last Friday, I'm at work, and my "New caches" pocket query comes into my email. There are three new puzzle caches. One is less than a mile from my workplace.

I solve the puzzle, clock out for lunch, and am FTF.

I had *none* of my geo-caching gear on me, however since I use my PDA for other things, I did happen to have that. I wasn't able to poke the bushes with my indespensible walking staff, nor was I able to leave any cool items or stamp the logbook. I was, however, able to snag the FTF certificate and my first FTF.

If I'd had a Garmin or Magellen or eTrex, I'd still be FTFless.

Luna

I have a Dell Axim x5 and just took it out in the sand dunes and trail riding in my dune buggy. Then on the way home went caching. Got home, and blew all the sand out of everything. It worked just fine all weekend. I also have a car charger for $20. I never lost power all weekend long.

I love my PDA.