Separate Icon For Night Caches?

I don't visit the forums very often, so forgive me if this has been brought up before:

I love doing night caches, and unfortunately I've done most of them around where I live. I think. I would love to find some more, I know they are out there, but they are hard to filter out since they are grouped in with a regular cache class.

So hows about a separate class for night caches? I mean, Letterbox Hybrids have their own little icon, and there's hardly any of those.

If anything, keep the Regular-Multi-Unknown-Virtual-Letterbox-Etc. and maybe change their color or add a little moon and stars to them or something if they are a night cache; or have some mechanism to filter them out. I think this would be especially handy when winter comes again here in the NW.

Just my dos pesos.

Nancy

Hello,

The "cache attributes" feature includes an attribute called "recommended at night." Since a night-only cache can be of many types and sizes -- a traditional cache, multicache, mystery/unknown cache, letterbox hybrid, etc., the attribute would be the common link. For more information about cache attributes, see the thread that's pinned at the top of the Geocaching.com forum.

Since cache attributes were just introduced in February of this year, some time is being allowed for cache owners to update their existing caches, and to use the attributes when creating new cache pages. Once a nice database has been built, the plan is to make the attributes searchable. It will be so cool to be able to ask for a pocket query that returns all caches with the "recommended at night" attribute within 100 miles of your centerpoint.

EDIT: Look for this icon at the top right corner of a cache page to know that the cache is "Recommended at Night":

night-yes.gif

Edited by Keystone Approver
Once a nice database has been built, the plan is to make the attributes searchable. It will be so cool to be able to ask for a pocket query that returns all caches with the "recommended at night" attribute within 100 miles of your centerpoint.

This sounds great! What's the ETA for this feature?

. It will be so cool to be able to ask for a pocket query that returns all caches with the "recommended at night" attribute within 100 miles of your centerpoint.

Wowie! I'm psyched about this, too! And then we'll be able to seek water caches (accessible by watercraft) as well! I am liking this!

Glad Nancy asked this question, as I've been wondering the same thing myself about putting night caches into their own category.

So... in order to get this rolling we need to urge people to use the cache attribute icons enough so that a proper database can be built to filter?

I've noticed a few night caches that do not have the "recommended at night" attribute switched on. I know cache attributes are a relatively new feature... Once they're utilized enough as people learn about them, it would be quite awesome to be able to search through them.

This sounds great! What's the ETA for this feature?

Sorry, but I cannot provide an ETA, I can just say that it's on the list of planned improvements. I'd bet that efforts are focused on keeping the site running smoothly, and on the forthcoming solution for virtual and locationless caches. After that, there are a number of smaller projects like this one.

So... in order to get this rolling we need to urge people to use the cache attribute icons enough so that a proper database can be built to filter?

Yes! Edit your own cache pages to add the appropriate attributes, and encourage your caching buddies to do the same. Mention it at event caches and in local forums, since not everyone reads these forums. Eventually, more and more cache owners will see them, and then add attributes on their own pages. I try to mention the cache attributes when I am reviewing a cache and I notice someone using one of the third-party solutions (I can't help but notice, since the graphics often cover the toolset links that I need to use in order to review the cache).

It will be so cool to be able to ask for a pocket query that returns all caches with the "recommended at night" attribute within 100 miles of your centerpoint.

Oh, yeah, that would be the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Edited by mrking