Is Too Much Just Enough, Or Just Too Much?

nfa

Hi,

I'm planning on setting out a 20 stage multi-cache this summer in the Adirondacks, designed something like the game of Clue combined with a CSI episode.

It's a murder mystery, and cachers will be helping "investigators" by visiting remote sites to help solve the crime by picking up their case file at the initial stage. There are 6 suspects to interview, 6 weapons to analyze, and 6 sites to investigate...for a total of 216 possible combinations, with only 1 (the correct) solution leading cachers to the final stage.

I'm planning on a variety of challenging stages: long hikes, canoe/kayak stages, mountainous stages, underwater stages, etc.

I'd like feedback/advice from people who have placed and/or attempted mega-multis.

Thanks,

nfa-jamie

I don't think its too much AS LONG AS THE CACHE HUNTER KNOWS WHAT HE IS IN FOR!!

Don't make it a 5/5 and leave it at that. Make sure the person reading the cache page knows what they're up against!

:D

Edit: And list ANY & ALL equipment we might need.

Edited by tabulator32

I've seen two highly successful implementations of the "Clue" concept in my review territory.

For the secrets behind a nice, self-contained 13 step multicache, get in touch with kiawa, the owner of The Devil's Panties cache in Erie, PA. (Warning, there is background music on the cache page, but it's perhaps the one cache I've ever reviewed where I actually enjoyed having the music playing.)

Or, for owner feedback regarding a no-holds barred, all-out implementation of the concept, contact SerenityNow or Finding Fraggle Rock, co-sponsors of Cloak and Dagger: The Amethyst Murder. This was the most amazing event cache I ever attended. The "Clue" gameboard was the entire town of Medina, Ohio, and its surrounding environs. This was a competitive event where teams raced to find caches that eliminated suspects, weapons, motives, etc., so that they could guess the murderer's identity. More than 200 people attended.

I was relieved that you are going to involve all those activities in the legs, instead of 20 tedious steps. The former sounds like fun, the latter sounds like an exercise in stupid. I would put that one on my watch list for sure, and if it were within driving distance would hunt it.

I was relieved that you are going to involve all those activities in the legs, instead of 20 tedious steps. The former sounds like fun, the latter sounds like an exercise in stupid. I would put that one on my watch list for sure, and if it were within driving distance would hunt it.

That is exactly what I was thinking as I read the topic, at first I was thinking 20 STEPS holy cow but by the time I finished reading I wanted to try it.

I'm about a week away from placing the stages, and it is shaping up nicely.

• 2 hydro-caches
  • 2 boating caches
  • 3 mountain/climbing-caches
  • 2 caches requiring human interaction in buildings
  • 2 night caches
  • 1 virtual cache
  • caches of all sizes, from micro to enormous
  • the remainder will be made up of nice hikes to pretty places in the Adirondacks

All told, there are 21 stages in the Adirondack Murder Mystery Multi-Cache.

It should be available from the beginning of July.

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA

WIth a lot of differant types of hides folks will need to team up as is suspect not many individuals will have the skills to do it. WIth 216 combinations your need either a lot of luck or make many visits to many sites. The problem here is the underwater clue maybe the one someone needs but does not have the skill to do. If you were going to do it I would suggest making it accessable to all or not many will do it as it is to daunting. We have a 12 stage, each stage builds on the last, but all are excessibe just hard to go from one to the other.

It would but a fun idea but if I need a hot air balloon I guess I would be out of luck.

cheers

Of course there isn't anything wrong with it, but as you know you'll have a lot less people than normal going after this cache. The other option is to make them 20 seperate caches with a bonus cache were you have to find all the others first. This way if some people don't do boating caches, they can still partake in some of them. Then make a heck of a good cache for the final.