"boomeranging"

Just wondering....I've read in these forums that alot of the Magellan GPSr's are known to "boomerang", which I assume means that you end up hiking past where you want to be and then it turns you around. I've had this happen a few times so far but I'm wondering if it's because I'm moving too fast or if it's something all units do occasionally. I have an Explorist 300 but my 600 will be ariving tomorrow. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated by this newbie. Thanks.

It's a magellan thing and not a Garmin thing. I don't know about Trimble, Lowrance, Cobra, or Brunton.

The gist of why is a guess but it goes like this. Your Magellan isn't reporting where you are now, it's reporing an average of your last several readings about where you are. So where it think you are is behind hwere you are. Then when you get to where you are going, according to the GPS you are not there yet. When you pass it catches up to where you meant to go and tells you to turn around.

More speed is bigger boomerang. I've used a magellan and stepped back a few steps as I got close and that seemed to prevent it but I only got to try that once.

Also because of that averaging function that magellans do they don't jump you around as much due to signal bounce as a Garmin would.