Getting To Edinburgh From The Airport

Mrs Hornet and I will be visiting Edinburgh for the weekend of 21st May. We're Easyjetting up from Luton and I wondered about public transport links from the airport to the city centre. Are there any? If so, are they any good? If not, what's the cab fare?

Just to keep this relevant to Geocaching (I don't want to upset the moderators :)) I'm hoping to take in a few caches as we do the tourist trail around the city although Mrs H isn't quite so keen!! :unsure::)

There is a very good airport bus service, from outside the arrivals terminal to Waverley Station, just by Princes Street. The return fare is no more than around £4-£5 (cant remember exactly). Its a quick, reliable and inexpensive way to get into town.

In contrast, a taxi from my house in North Edinburgh to the airport would cost around £16.

A car in the centre of Edinburgh is a hindrance; there are very good bus routes, and plenty of caches within walking distance of the city centre. Edinburgh is a great city for walking around. The different levels that the city is built on can be a little confusing, so just make sure that you have a good street map. :unsure:

Edited by Firth of Forth

I can vouch for the bus service. I was most impressed when I went there in October last year.

If you have never been there before then I can also recommend the city bus tour which is also a good way to have a day ticket to go all around the city centre.

Done all my cacheing by bus and shanks' pony when coming up from London. Set yourself a target like doing the seven hills - yep there's one on each hill - and it is ( just ) poss to walk to each hill though I took three trips and I think I've still got a hill to do.

And Haggis' coordinates are eerily spot on - every one of them!

And Haggis' coordinates are eerily spot on - every one of them!

Thank for the compliment, but that's not quite true, the one on Castle Hill can be a bit of a hindrance due to the crag face blocking half the sky :mad:

If you look at my profile you can use the bookmarks which I have, Options 1 - 5 are all done with the tourist in mind.

An ex-boss of mine said that he would never travel on buses. "Full of people who sit down next to you and talk to you", he used to tell me.

The word Numpty comes to mind, but I have absolutely no idea why! Perhaps he was painfully insecure?

last year, it cost me £8.60 for a taxi from the airport to our office in East Craigs (EH12). The taxi driver gave me a card to get a discount for the return trip, so that only cost me £6.50.

Unfortunately, I hadn't heard of geocaching then, so I couldn't do any. I'll have to arrange another trip sometime.

last year, it cost me £8.60 for a taxi from the airport to our office in East Craigs (EH12). The taxi driver gave me a card to get a discount for the return trip, so that only cost me £6.50.

Unfortunately, I hadn't heard of geocaching then, so I couldn't do any. I'll have to arrange another trip sometime.

To give you some idea East Craigs, is the first area that you go past on your way into Edinburgh, and by road it is about 4kms, Edinburgh City centre is about 10kms, so going by the above pricing you may be looking at about £20 for a taxi, now that is expensive. I personaly would take the bus, the taxi would have to take the exact same route as the bus anyway.

Do you know where in Edinburgh your hotel is? I should be able to tell you how feasible it is to get the bus to your hotel. Including the bus numbers.

Do you know where in Edinburgh your hotel is? I should be able to tell you how feasible it is to get the bus to your hotel. Including the bus numbers.

It's the Parklands Guest House, 20 Mayfield Gardens, Edinburgh EH9 2BZ, thanks!!

You can get any of the following buses from this list, 3A, 3, 7, 8, 29, 31, 37A, 49. You are looking to be getting on at either Waverly, Princes's Street or North Bridge, ask the driver where Mayfield Gardens is. The fare will be 80p per adult 60p a child. A Day Saver for buses around Edinburgh costs £2.30 per adult and a child £2.

You can find the Edinburgh Airport link here as you can see this has timetables, a route map and the fares listed on it.

Hopefully that should keep you right for the journey.