New To Geocaching... Living In The Triangle (nc)

I am new to geocaching (introduced to it by my bf a few weeks ago and now I am HOOKED) and am planning to purchase my GPS in a week or two! I was wondering if there are any events coming up in the Triangle area of North Carolina? I need to sit down and read through the forums to see which GPS is the best buy for my money. I've budgeted $250 towards the purchase.

Also, are there any other parents out there geocaching with their kids? My six year old daughter is really interested and I think it would be a fun thing for us to do together or with other parents and their kids.

:unsure:

Hi fractal...

I started geocaching about a month ago. Hooked is an understatement as we all know.

I have a 6 year old daughter who has taken to what she calls "treasure hunting" with a vengence. She's had a blast poking around seeking caches out..except of course when briars are a part of the process.

Being in the Triangle you'll be sure to run into user WE4NCS and others cachers.

In addition there is a meet and greet planned here in Rocky Mount, NC on June 9th if you're interested in coming to hang with us. I believe some of the Raleigh folk are coming as well.

As for GPS..like any other type of gear that will come down to what features you want etc etc. I dig mine..the Garmin Etrex Legend C....but opinions are like..well you know....everybody has one. :unsure:

Oh good to know! I'll be on the lookout for other locals. :mad: I have the June 9th event written in on my calendar. There is also the Bur Spring Caching Clinic/Workshop and Cookout on June 18th! I am hoping to make it to that as well. ;)

I am trying to decide between the Magellan eXplorist 100 and the 200. I am wondering if 8 megs of memory make the $50 worth it. I'm thinking YES! :)

It's neat to see someone else's daughter getting into this too. Hopefully I'll get to meet you on the 9th.

Our kids get upset when they find out we went geocaching without them! They are 6years and 4 years. I think our kids have played in over 12 new parks in just the last 6 months! If I read there is a park near by we go caching there. They love it. There is not much we all enjoy doing but geocaching is.

Thank you all for the replies! I will definitely join Triangle Geocachers and NC Geocachers. It's nice to see other parents in the area taking their kids out. I'm heading to B&N tomorrow to find a simple book explaining GPS to someone in her age group. Unfortunately, I have plans for May 21st and cannot attend The Airbourne Event.