would it be ok to put cache in graveyard?

maleck4

I would consider it disrespectful but like the idea at the same time. Would it be possible to get the cache close to the site as to where you can see it but not have it actually on the grounds? Also is the site still maintained? If so wouldn't the care takers find the cache?

______________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

I have been to graveyard caches before and believe they can be done tastefully. Both the caches I’ve been to were offset caches. The given coordinates were for a grave that the seeker had to visit to obtain a bit of information, which would reveal the coordinates of the actual cache nearby. The cache was then located outside the cemetery. In one case the cache was located just outside cemetery, in the other case it was in a nearby park.

By the way, how exactly do you mean they aren’t currently being used? icon_wink.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

I have been to graveyard caches before and believe they can be done tastefully. Both the caches I’ve been to were offset caches. The given coordinates were for a grave that the seeker had to visit to obtain a bit of information, which would reveal the coordinates of the actual cache nearby. The cache was then located outside the cemetery. In one case the cache was located just outside cemetery, in the other case it was in a nearby park.

By the way, how exactly do you mean they aren’t currently being used? icon_wink.gif

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

I've seen both virual and real caches in cemeteries.

Sometimes they are a virtual at the grave of a famous person (the grave of Babe Ruth is one) and sometimes it's just a tastefully hidden Geocache.

I think an historic graveyard is a very appropriate place to put a cache.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

I appreciate the responses. This is a gravesite that is really old and is not being taken care of that I can tell. It is pretty overgrown and spooky at night!*bonus*

I'm not superstitious and don't believe in an afterlife so that is why I wasn't sure if this would be considered taboo or not. I'm just trying to think of something different that would be fun to hunt, and not hurt anyone.

maleck4

Originally posted by umc:

I would consider it disrespectful but like the idea at the same time. Would it be possible to get the cache close to the site as to where you can see it but not have it actually on the grounds? Also is the site still maintained? If so wouldn't the care takers find the cache?

I would have to agree and go further and say is could also be in poor taste. I personally wouldn't hunt one in a cemetary.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

My wife happens to work for a cemetery that is 150+ years old. Cemeteries, years ago, were a gathering place. Picnics, social events, parties Sunday afternoons, often were at the cemetery.

Her cemetery has Civil war folks, Kit dalton of the dalton gang, yellow fever cases, founding fathers, historians, the first black millionaire and more.

I am designing an education cache for this location.

You are all right, the process must be tasteful. This cache wil have many tomstones to look at a gather history. It will be tasteful and educational.

Currently, many scholl kids come here to do tree projects, as there are many varieyties.

And we don't theinkthere are caches in Arlinton or gettysburg? These caches test our ability to blend in, be part of the community, educate and have fun

Doug

There is a graveyard in my city that I would love to put a cache in. I think they might be open to the idea because the cemetary regularly does non-burial things such as holding plays in an old building on the grounds, holding a 5k run, and renting another building for wedding receptions (can you imagine holding your wedding reception at a graveyard!) It also has a park-like area with a pond and ducks. I have been considering asking them if I can put a cache there.

“Hey Ma check’em this out. A cache at that old cemetery over yonder by the holler where the Hatfields are buried. They say the cache has a roast beef sandwich and a switchblade. We can go ‘em down there, use the switch to cut the sandwich, have a picnic and go home with a blade to boot. What a thoughtful cacher to hide like that”

“No kiddin’ Pa. But you know what them Hatfields think of us McCoys. Could start up another howl if they ‘em catch us thar. Anyone else we could ask if it’s OK but we’ll only get a load of buckshot from them Hatfields if we get within yelling distance. They wouldn’t give us squat for fried toads.”

“Well, Ma, we could go in the dark moon on a rainy night. No one will know. We’ll split in and out before the dew settles on the headstones. Trade a bit of moon sounds like it wud be fair.”

“Well, Pa, I think we oughta go tonight and take our chances. That roast beef ain’t goin’ stay fresh much too longer.”

Alan

I knew a spot that I couldnt really place a cache in (even a micro) withoiut expecting it to be plundered quick, then I hit on an easy easy way around it. I grabbed one of those hidea key magenetic base jobbers, placed a welcome letter as a log sheet and 2 WG and clipped it to the underside of a metal railing. almost invisible unless you're looking for it. just find something metal and you're good to go. I would just make sure to say that its a WG only cache. easy, cheap, and it works.

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

Three of my caches are hidden in or near cemeteries

The Witch's Grave

The Witch's Grave II

These are both hidden in very old cemeteries and based on local legends (one of them even documented in a book called "Haunted Illinois."

Hammond-Bean Cache

This one is on the edge of our family cemetery and has received a LOT of great response. I'm especially proud of the log entry that mentions my brother's gravestone. His widow (not a geocacher) has also left an entry in the physical log and thinks it's great to have a cache out there.

As far as hiding goes, as one cacher put it, "I wouldn't use a grave that's still warm." As far as finding, I know those who won't go for cemetery caches. That's their choice, and I have a lot of respect for it. As for me, keep it tasteful and I'll be there! icon_wink.gif

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Three of my caches are hidden in or near cemeteries

The Witch's Grave

The Witch's Grave II

These are both hidden in very old cemeteries and based on local legends (one of them even documented in a book called "Haunted Illinois."

Hammond-Bean Cache

This one is on the edge of our family cemetery and has received a LOT of great response. I'm especially proud of the log entry that mentions my brother's gravestone. His widow (not a geocacher) has also left an entry in the physical log and thinks it's great to have a cache out there.

As far as hiding goes, as one cacher put it, "I wouldn't use a grave that's still warm." As far as finding, I know those who won't go for cemetery caches. That's their choice, and I have a lot of respect for it. As for me, keep it tasteful and I'll be there! icon_wink.gif

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

I came across an interesting website a few weeks ago that I think might be of interest to some of the people watching this thread (or those who read it in the future).

After logging Would be Prophet and "Cult" Queen, both virtual caches here in Oklahoma, I wanted to know if there were any other famous people nearby.

Maybe you would like to know if there are any famous people buried near you, if so, check out Find A Grave. This may not be the only site around, but it is the best one I have come across so-far.

Zahrim....

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night.

Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

quote:
Originally posted by Schmidt-Family:

I might be a little sick...but I've actually thought about this....on the back side of my own gravestone, the coords, a little box built into the granite.......my find/hidden count....my caching name....why not.

How d'ya plan to maintain it? icon_confused.gif

Alan

quote:

I might be a little sick...but I've actually thought about this....on the back side of my own gravestone, the coords, a little box built into the granite.......my find/hidden count....my caching name....why not.

How d'ya plan to maintain it? icon_confused.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Little's Cache:

Actually some cemetries are identifyinh gravesites with coordinates. My wife worksd at one that has worked on such aproject. Problem is accuracy. Gravesites aren't real big!

So, I guess when I get buried we had better call it a virtual site?

Not at all, just wear lots of jewelry and get buried very shallowly or better yet, in an above ground crypt.

A coffin would be an unusual cache container, but I guarantee it would be a hit in geocache circles... for eternity!

The geocacher's motto "you are the search engine".... in life, "the prize" in the next:>

----------

Greenjeens

quote:

No, a "little sick" would be making-out in the cemetary, but I guess it's all relative:)

I always thought about scattering, because all those headstones seem to have little use and take up space. But a fake, hollow marble like urn, on top a headstone might make a good cache container, unless some vandal broke it off:(

Maybe a flushmount stone or metal memorial with a strong hinged top plate over a cavity? That would be good hidey-hole and have lots of room. Would have to figure out drainage though...hummm.

---------

Greenjeens

quote:

No, a "little sick" would be making-out in the cemetary, but I guess it's all relativeicon_smile.gif

I always thought about scattering, because all those headstones seem to have little use and take up space. But a fake, hollow marble like urn, on top a headstone might make a good cache container, unless some vandal broke it officon_frown.gif

Maybe a flushmount stone or metal memorial with a strong hinged top plate over a cavity? That would be good hidey-hole and have lots of room. Would have to figure out drainage though...hummm.

---------

Greenjeens