Do You Use A Higher Quality Gps To Hide Caches?

In a year and a half I've cached beside and with a number of models. The old Garmin 12 that I learned on was most accurate. If the atmospheric conditions are right, my Vista is really accurate. (the other day it put me exactly on top of the micro). The Maggies I've seen and shared are very similar. You have to give a few feet either way. It's the conditions up above that matter. The worst day I've ever tried was in a big woods, and I couldn't get an accuracy reading better than 34', which made for a lot of searching, but it was very overcast. You really can't "out-buy" your partner for accuracy, just maps and compass and memory and color, unless you want to carry a surveyor's unit.

My understanding is that more expensive GPSs are more accurate. Is that true?

No, its not true - to a point. A $7,000 commercial GPS will be more accurate, but most of us will never use one of those.

As far as consumer grade units, the accuracy is about the same. There are some minor differences. Some have antennas that work a bit better under different conditions. Others have an auto averaging feature that may at times give better readings, but generally speaking you'll get the same results with a $70 Garmin Geko as you would with a $600 Quest.

Edited by briansnat

More money definitely does NOT buy better accuracy (in consumer grade GPSr's)

However one thing I found that tends to hold some truth,, "NEWER" GPSr's often have better accuracy than older models. The difference may be fairly marginal out in a wide open clearing, but go into deep thick woods and it does seem newer GPSr's have better satellite holding capability, hence better accuracy.

Look at this way - the hider didn't necessarily use a Trimble Surveying unit to plant the cache - he probably used a GAR-Mag like the rest of us. If you're lucky, the hider's GPS error matches the error of your own GPS, and you'll find the cache at your feet. On the other hand, if your GPS error is in the opposite direction, you'll be off 30 - 40 feet. So save your money, and when you get within 30 feet of the cache, put the GPS away and start using your eyeballs.

Of course if you just cannot resist having all the latest bells and whistles, color screens, and autorouting (and really, who CAN resist?) then go for it. But don't think it's buying you any accuracy advantages :):unsure:

Averaging the coords might be a useful thing to do and I generally do it since I am loitering at the scene while I'm placing the cache anyway.

Who knows? If the finder is having problems with a really big probability of error, he might try averaging, too, and then using a compass to head in the correct bearing and distance.

But I wouldn't bother buying a new GPS just to place caches. Besides, if it is really that far out, some irate 'cacher will probably send you the coords he recorded at the site. I did that recently with a cache near my house (although I wasn't irate!). I just happened to have a very good signal and previous finders mentioned that the coords were off.

Even if you have a great GPS, if you record the location in heavy, wet brush, the odds are good that it'll be quite a bit off, compared to when a 'cacher looks for it in the summer when the brush is dry and the signal is much better.

GeoBC