Banks Of Waypoints

OK, I've been looking around for quite a while and reading a lot of unit manuals but I haven't found anything that can handle this need.

For those who have used scanning radios, some models can store groups of frequencies in 'banks' and then you can control which group is being scanned and the others are ignored.

I'd like to do the same thing with waypoints.

My application is simply having up to 12-14 groups of waypoints for a given area and I'd like to specify which group is currently being used.

Actual use: I have waypoints for various points in time for battlefields. I'd like for example 8am to be shown on my display but the rest of the times ignored because the display would be just too outrageous and the total number of waypoints being active would be too much for most gps units.

Without downloading different groups using a laptop pc, I just don't know how to accomplish this function. I'd much rather have all the waypoints stored but then select which group is active.

Any ideas?

I'm not sure what level of solution you're hoping for. But what you descrive sounds like you need a GPSr with SD memory that allows you to have multiple waypoint files on it allowing the activation of any one at any given time. Magellan Exlporist and Meridians would do this, and I believe that many Lowrance units would handle it as well.

On the software side, I'd think using GSAK to create and managage these waypoint sets would be the way to go.

I'll hold off on saying more lest this is not quite what you have in mind.

I'm not sure what level of solution you're hoping for. But what you descrive sounds like you need a GPSr with SD memory that allows you to have multiple waypoint files on it allowing the activation of any one at any given time. Magellan Exlporist and Meridians would do this, and I believe that many Lowrance units would handle it as well.

On the software side, I'd think using GSAK to create and managage these waypoint sets would be the way to go.

I'll hold off on saying more lest this is not quite what you have in mind.

this is what I was thinking also -

interesting application - the memory card would be the best way for what you are describing.

On a MAP 60C I would just group the waypoints into different Routes and turn the MAP detail down so that when I picked a Route only the waypoints for the picked Route would show up at my level of zoom. I would probably use a different symbol for the waypoints in each route such as a blue flag for the blue route, a red flag for the red route, etc. so I could also display them all when required but still be able to sort them out. Impala Bob