Help With Book On Eccentric Communities

prospero66

Hello everyone. I am not a geocacher. I am a writer, and I am working with a creative team in Seattle that is creating a book titled Other Americans: underground.overground.off the grid. The book is a documentary-style pictorial of people who get together to do interesting, yet off-center, things, such as geocaching. I hope to be directed to a group of geocachers who would be willing to share more about the game and also be willing to be profiled and photographed for the book.

I'm not sure if such exists, but a group of geocachers who often work together on a network of caches, or who geocache together, would be ideal. Community is a central focus of the book.

Please let me know what you think, and thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jamie

Seattle, WA

PS If the forum moderator believes this message should be cross-posted, or in another forum,

please feel free to move it.

:)

Edited by prospero66

I'm not sure if such exists, but a group of geocachers who often work together on a network of caches, or who geocache together, would be ideal. Community is a central focus of the book....

Sounds like an interesting project. Of course, the Internet has made possible new definitions for "community." People who have nothing else in common, and are located at great distances from each other, form communities around one common interest.

The geocaching subculture is a community--or perhaps a network of communities. Groups of cachers often do get together for a regional event--to have a bit of social interaction and put faces to the names. You might consider attending one of those events.

Also--within geocaching, there are occasionally other "games." At this time, two groups of enthusiasts are playing "capture the flag", using geocaches and travel bugs. It's northern New England vs. southern New England, and the competition is quite fierce.

As for other groups, we don't know. We are currently considering an infrastructural group at Burning Man, an active civil disobedience group a la Adbusters/Culturejammers, Oracle Gatherings (a more deliberate offshoot of rave culture), Robot Combat Games, and many others. We won't have a final list until, most likely, the end of the year.

Will someone recommend a good resource for learning about live geocaching events?

Jamie

If you go to geocaching.com and perform a search by your zip-code or other criteria, you will pull up a list of caches. If the icon beside one of these is a talk-bubble, that means it is an event of some kind. With a little searching, I suspect you will be able to turn up an event near you.

Will someone recommend a good resource for learning about live geocaching events?

If you go to the geocaching.com home page, and select a state in the upper-right corner, a new page will pop up that lists, among other things, all of the upcoming events in that state.

There are several in Washington in the next few weeks -- click here.

Clicking on the links for any of those listed events will give you more information. On the individual event pages, you could also click the "profile" link of the event organizer, and email them for more information.