Marijuana

Dont report it, burn it from a distance.  Those things are often boobytrapped. 

What method would you recommend for setting the stuff on fire......from a distance? Isn't the burning of this stuff one of the jobs that we pay the DEA cops to do?

Depends on how far you can throw.

I know what I would do in this situation, which is to report it. Whether or not the guy was joking, I'd like to make sure the trails I hike are safe for my family. I have to admit that I am surprised by the numbers of posters condoning illegal activity. Maybe I am foolish for thinking so, but personal feelings about pot would have to take lower priority if the situation were impacting society as a whole, right? When it starts to potentially have an effect on my family, I would certainly hope that anyone would report it. If you want to advocate legalizing marijuana for whichever of the reasons already posted, is passively ignoring the plants in this situation really the answer? I would think that convincing the legislature to pass laws would be the only way to accomplish that goal.

SQ

Speed limits contrary to what most people believe is subject to the road conditions.

The live and let live idea is just ridiculous. Imagine using this philosophy in other situations like say... racism or necrophilia. Actually necrophillia is an perfect example to compare pot to. Both can be argued to be victimless or something that doesn't hurt anybody else. Should you as a citizen IGNORE this crime?

The speed limit comment is quaint and nice to tell new drivers and I have even used it on my teenagers, however anyone over the age of 40 remembers speed limits that were listed as "Safe and Reasonable" and knows that speed limits are revenue enhancers for the most part.

I find it offensive that you compare growing pot to rape or worse. Hemp {or pot} was made illegal strictly based on commercial interests. I didn't have time to spend on a big search, so I grabbed the first two links

http://www.carpenoctem.tv/cons/hemp.html

http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cann...culture11.shtml

Having said this, I would adopt the "Live and Let Live" attitude. I don't believe who ever told you this was the owner of the crop, even if it did exisit and most definately don't consider it a danger. The biggest worry from a pot user is attempting to steal your bag a Fritos and before finding them, forgetting what they were looking for.

I read the logs and the cache owner is checking on it. Quite freankly, it sounds like the trees are downed for a different reason, possibly to prevent ATV activity in the area. If the guy said it in a threatening manner, that would be the cause for reporting it and breaking off the search, however that is not what was described.

Edited by baloo&bd

I wonder how many of the people who feel you have a moral obligation to report any and all illegal activity have ever cheated on their taxes or fudged on an insurance claim in addition to breaking speed limit laws? How many have kept their mouths shut when a cashier has given them too much change or kept a package that was delivered to them by mistake? Have you ever spanked your child? That is illegal in this country now too, do you always buckle up, have you ever relieved yourself outdoors or spit on the ground in a public place? There are laws against all of these things. I see no need to pass moral judgement on anyone for their views on this topic but I do see a possible safety concern for unknowing people hunting a cache near a pot field. I think the best way to handle this may have been to write the cache owner a PRIVATE email so they could check on the validity and then act accordingly based on what they found out. The cache description says the trees were cut down by people with the authority to do so not by pot growers.

Actually, necrophilia and pot smoking aren't a good comparison at all. A dead body is the property of the deceased's family, the vast majority of whom would object to having it used for such purposes. Necrophilia violates the property rights of others, whereas pot smoking doesn't.

Necrophilia violates the property rights of others, whereas pot smoking doesn't.

The moron in the OP's post wasn't smoking pot, he was supposedly growing it, and not on his own property. Thus, he was violating the property rights of others.

I've never smoked pot or anything else, but there are worse crimes against society and yourself to commit. Nonetheless, given the fact that pot has proven to be a gateway drug to more serious addictive drugs, the potential for personal harm (to the smoker and others) is too great to ignore. I would report it, and have done so in a similar situation in the past.

I would be more alarmed about meth labs.

Those people will kill you.

I meant to mention that in my post. You hit the nail on the head there!

I live in what is turning out to be the meth center of Oregon and it really pisses me off, considering I have young kids growing up here. I pity the fool that tries to push that crap on my kids.

Nonetheless, given the fact that pot has proven to be a gateway drug to more serious addictive drugs, the potential for personal harm (to the smoker and others) is too great to ignore.

If you define "gateway drug" as the first drug used by someone who goes on to use other drugs, what has been "proven" is that alcohol is the gateway drug. Most kids experiment with alcohol before they try any other drug, including pot.

The whole "gateway drug" concept is an example of making a science out of coincidence - or to put it in scientific terminonoly: correlation does not establish causation. While it is true that most hard drug users have tried booze or pot, most people who've tried booze or pot do not move on to harder drugs.

People who try alcohol, or pot, or any other drug are looking for relief - studies show that what they try first is a matter of what's most readily available to them. Usually, that's the drug we call alcohol.

The gateway drug argument is just not germane to the OP, IMHO.

I have to wonder if the people who say "you must report it because it is illegal" ever had uh, how to put this in a family forum...sexual relations that involved uh, different body parts than the usual. Until last summer, that was illegal in many states too, mostly targeted towards gays but some states also said straights couldn't do that either.

Back before the 1969 Loving v Virginia decision, it was illegal for a black person to marry a white person. I am sure older people in the South will remember separate facilities for blacks as well. It was illegal for blacks to use the so-called white facilities. Would you have reported a black person for doing so? I mean, it WAS illegal at the time. To take it a little further back, would you have reported the operators of the underground railroad for ferrying slaves to freedom? That was most assuredly illegal, and some would have said they were interfering with someone else's property rights.

Now if this guy was destroying public property for his crop (and I still find it odd someone would just nonchalantly walk up to someone else and say "my pot field is around the corner") nail him for that. After all, I am a treehugger.

Also, I was drinking heavily by the time I was a teen (life is straightened out now, thankfully). It caused far more problems for me and my family than pot ever did.

Dont report it, burn it from a distance.  Those things are often boobytrapped. 

What method would you recommend for setting the stuff on fire......from a distance? Isn't the burning of this stuff one of the jobs that we pay the DEA cops to do?

NO!! We pay them to grow it and distribute it. And by the way if someone was really growing you'd be able to smell it. Marijauna plants DO have a pretty strong odor.

Just because something is illegal does not make it "wrong", nor does it mean you are morally obligated to report such activities. If you believe a law is immoral, it is morally wrong to report people breaking that law.

For instance, if you live in the south in 1858, and you spotted your neighbor harboring runaway slaves, would you report them just because it was the law -- even if it went against your personal convictions against slavery?

If you lived in England in the turbulent 1500's, and your neighbor was secretly practicing the wrong flavor of Christianity, would you turn them in so they could be hung or burnt alive?

These are extreme examples, but they illustrate my point. Some of the people posting on this subject beleive it is wrong that marijuana is illegal. And there is good evidence to back up this conviction. Therefore, if this is their belief, it is morally correct for them to resist this law by not reporting those they find breaking it. That's how immoral laws get changed eventually... For instance, the underground railroad went a long way in the eventual freedom of the slaves. If the people don't support the law, then the law has very little foundation.

I do agree with those who state that if the pot grower is truely providing an unsafe situation on public lands, then they should be reported (and the cache moved) so no one gets hurt, but not simply because they're breaking the law.

Luna

First of all, for any cachers that may not know what the plants look like, here's a photo that I took a while ago which was about 200' away from a cache.

1599286_200.jpg

For those wondering what to do if you make such a discovery while out geocaching... a quick call on your cell phone to 911 will have an officer dispatched to come and retrieve the plants.

While I agree with the live and let live philosophy, these plants had no business being in a small park behind a community pool/children's playground.

\ Nonetheless, given the fact that pot has proven to be a gateway drug to more serious addictive drugs, the potential for personal harm (to the smoker and others) is too great to ignore. I would report it, and have done so in a similar situation in the past.

Air is a gateway drug...food is a gateway drug...saying that pot is a gateway drug is just the media and our special friends in the whitehouse brainwashing you....think about if you have never smoked pot before...of course you are going to think its evil and will make you get into hard drugs....Its just not that fact...I have never wanted to smoke crack/meth/etc because I smoke pot...What about coffee?...how many of you NEED your coffee before you go to work, go caching, ETC.....? All caffine products are bad for you...You crash and need more......anyway this post is too long....Sorry for the ramble...

I accidentally found somebody's secret garden on a multi yesterday. Called the cops and they met me there and destroyed it. See the log here:

I'm surprised how many pro-drug losers are on here. :unsure:

EDIT: I suppose that was far to general and open to too much interpretation; I guess it should have read "I didn't realize how many potheads are on here". I certainly don't think anyone with a differing opinion is a loser, nor do I think anyone who's ever tried it is a loser. Life sure would be a rough place if I did, as it must be for those who were so offended by the statement.

Edited by sonicjay

I wouldn't care so much about the pot plantation, but if someone is cutting down trees he doesn't own to block a trail that should be open for people to hike, that makes me angry, and I would report it to whatever agency oversees that trail. (And if the pot is the reason for the trail blockage, by extension it would have to be mentioned as well. Sorry, but having no room for a garden doesn't mean you get to garden in public parks, much less try to prevent others from using them!)

I'm surprised how many pro-drug losers are on here.  :unsure:

Maybe you're surprised because you've made a few incorrect assumptions:

1) Anyone who wants to legalize drugs is in favor of taking drugs.

2) Anyone who wants to legalize drugs is a drug abuser.

3) All people who smoke pot do it a lot, and are addicted.

4) People only smoke pot to get high. Anything else (medical, spiritual exploration, etc) is just an excuse.

5) Most or all people who have smoked or do smoke pot are wasting their life, usually with no job, or with a low-paying job.

With these assumptions, it's easy to be surprised when a large number of people in a respectable geocaching forum come out against drug laws. If you assume these things, you will assume all anti-drug-war people are losers. Which is an ad hominem (personal) attack, which is a logical fallacy unto itself.

I used to think like you. Then I actually did some research instead of toting the party line. Thinking for yourself and doing your own research can be extremely beneficial.

Luna

Edit: Fixed link

Edited by Lunaverse
I'm surprised how many pro-drug losers are on here.  :unsure:

What bothers me far more than someone growing some pot in the woods, is people who call other people "losers" simply because they have differing opinions. :blink:

As long as I was still able to access the cache, I'd take the live and let live attitude.

I accidentally found somebody's secret garden on a multi yesterday. Called the cops and they met me there and destroyed it. See the log here:

Read the log, entertaing, highly suspect, however entertaining.

Didn't happen to stumble upon big foot did you? With a picture, they might even let you make it a reverse locationless.

Report it. Do the planet and your community a favor.

The risk of boobytraps and violence has been noted in earlier posts. And the idea that person is attempting to run off legitimate public use of public land in effect converting public land to private profit. But please consider that every marijuana garden I have helped destroy (every one!) had massive amounts of fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides, etc being used on it -- creating downstream run off (That's one of the methods law enforcement now uses to find the gardens -- water sampling of streams). The environmental impacts of illegal gardens is well documented in scientific literature. No one who even remotely cares about the environment supports illegal marijuana growing on public lands.

Report it. Its the ethical and the environmental thing to do.

dsandbro did a pretty good job.

The forums is not the place to discuss the benefits or drawbacks of mary jane or any other illegal drug. Since this was a criminal enterprise on many levels you should report it. If you want drugs legalized by all means do your best to do so. However it is illegal, and moreso I am disgusted that public lands are being used for private enterprise, whether the product is illegal or legal.

So pro and anti drug people, there are plenty of other locations to discuss this topic to death. But this is not the place.

Read the log, entertaing, highly suspect, however entertaining.

I am not going to even comment on the "loser" part of the original post. I think you said enough about yourself right there.

But wait it was very funny to see the cache was called "Huff and Puff". :unsure:

The forums is not the place to discuss the benefits or drawbacks of mary jane or any other illegal drug. Since this was a criminal enterprise on many levels you should report it. If you want drugs legalized by all means do your best to do so. However it is illegal, and moreso I am disgusted that public lands are being used for private enterprise, whether the product is illegal or legal.

So pro and anti drug people, there are plenty of other locations to discuss this topic to death. But this is not the place.

Well said. Might be a good time to lock or delete the thread though.

The forums is not the place to discuss the benefits or drawbacks of mary jane or any other illegal drug.  Since this was a criminal enterprise on many levels you should report it. If you want drugs legalized by all means do your best to do so. However it is illegal, and moreso I am disgusted that public lands are being used for private enterprise, whether the product is illegal or legal.

Well said. Might be a good time to lock or delete the thread though.

Hello,

We do not delete threads that contain legitimate discussion material, and we don't lock threads until they're irretrievably broken, or if they're duplicates, violate the forum guidelines, etc. This one needed just the little nudge which Jeremy gave it. There is plenty of room for on-topic discussion without all the off-topic stuff. Posters to the thread who don't keep on topic risk a spike to their warn meter, given that a warning's already been posted in the thread itself.

Of course, the topic starter may choose to close their own thread at any time.

Carry on.

I am disgusted that public lands are being used for private enterprise, whether the product is illegal or legal.

Best excuse for turning anyone in i've heard so far. This and the 'cutting trees' one. The rest of the prudish comments make me laugh. "loser" heh...

& this thread is getting better and better. Please don't lock it.

Also if you're going to post pretty pics and tell appetizing stories, please post the coords too. :unsure:

Edited by Marcie/Eric

Guys,

I didn't realize my inquiry would get so many replies! Reading the debate on whether or not to report my experience has been interesting!

Just to inform you about what happened from this, and maybe to eventually die down this thread; I did report online to the sheriff and the owner of the cache about my experience with the guy on 4 wheeler. No, I'm not sure the guy was pulling my chain. For all I know he may have said that to keep me off the trail, which is public property, but ran thru his property.

Even so, the man was dumb to mention the pot growing there. If he would have said just go away; I would have, but I guess he knew he couldn't keep me off public trail. I'm suspicious there is some type of illegal activity there because of the beautiful trees cut down so they fell across the path making the going difficult; and the briars on either side of the path. I am sick about the trees more than anything. I also think that there could be pot there, growing right on the trail, because if the sheriff finds it the man could say it's not his; it wasn't growing on his property.

I saw this morning a man and his grand-daughter found the cache. Evidently they had no trouble. I bet when I was there, I was close to it, but got scared off. I am glad I reported my experience for the simple fact that I wouldn't want any other geocachers getting hurt.

And no, I'm not a troll. This really happened to me, and it was only my second attempt at geocaching! I think I will continue to geocache, but never alone, and with mace. I am excited about planting my own cache very soon!

Thanks,

Debbie

Marijuana, what to do?

Okay... First you dry it, then you crush it, then you roll it in papers, then you light it on fire, then you inhale.

Repeat as needed. Or as desired.

Seriously, though... I think that something like this you have to decide with your own morals and values. I wouldn't involve police in something unless it was life threatening... I've never met a pothead that was dangerous. Now, if he threatened you, tried to hurt you, seemed dangerous, etc, definately call the police - especially if it was public land you were on.

Seriously, though... I think that something like this you have to decide with your own morals and values.

This one was pretty cut and dry (see? I have a sense of humor). If he was growing tomatoes on public land for profit I'd be just as mad. Fortunately there are only a few crops deemed interesting enough to use public lands to grow them and, fortunately, being illegal they get more attention.

Seriously, though... I think that something like this you have to decide with your own morals and values.

This one was pretty cut and dry (see? I have a sense of humor). If he was growing tomatoes on public land for profit I'd be just as mad. Fortunately there are only a few crops deemed interesting enough to use public lands to grow them and, fortunately, being illegal they get more attention.

The cache/marijauna field in question is not on any public land, so far as I can determine. It appears to be near the junction of Whitewater river, a popular canoeing destination, and a railroad. The field, if it exists, is probably in the flood plain or the RR right of way. :unsure:

Edited by sept1c_tank

If the cache in question is Iron Crossing (as suggested earlier), then a few comments:

(I have been to this cache...twice.)

1. This is an abandoned railroad right-of-way that is going to be converted to rails-to-trails path at some point in the future.

2. The first time I was at the cache site, someone in a pickup truck stopped to ask me what I was doing as I was getting ready to drive away.

3. If the landowners don't know about geocaching, they are likely to have much different ideas about why people are walking down the abandoned rails.

4. It seems more likely that the person on the 4-wheeler is a nearby landowner who cut down trees across the path to discourage people from walking on the trail. (At least some landowners would be happier if they could just take over the trail and keep others out of the area.)

5. Planting a marijuana crop along the rails seems like a huge mistake. There are better places in Wayne County to grow your crops.

OOPS, My BAD. :unsure:

It's not at the Iron crossing cache. I went there afterwards. This was a fun find.

The suspicious cache was on the trail that is not developed; about 10 miles away. the cache is called "the train don't run here no more"

Sorry.

The cache/marijauna field in question is not on any public land, so far as I can determine. It appears to be near the junction of Whitewater river, a popular canoeing destination, and a railroad. The field, if it exists, is probably in the flood plain or the RR right of way. :unsure:

Ah. My Bad. Then I would go for the second opinion that he should be rewarded for his stupidity, or moreso as using it to threaten another citizen. There seems to be rich assortment of stupid criminals these days.

OOPS, My BAD. :unsure:

It's not at the Iron crossing cache. I went there afterwards. This was a fun find.

The suspicious cache was on the trail that is not developed; about 10 miles away. the cache is called "the train don't run here no more"

Sorry.

OK, slow down.

You posted the note on the Iron Crossing cache. That is the undeveloped trail that goes to the railroad bridge...in the north part of Wayne County.

"The train don't run here no more" is in Richmond, on a developed rails-to-trail path. If trees were down across it, I'm pretty sure I would have heard about it. (I live in Richmond).

And as sept1c_tank suggests, I think the fields of Richmond are safe for geocaching.

The cache marijauna field in question is not on any public land, so far as I can determine. It appears to be near the junction of Whitewater river, a popular canoeing destination, and a railroad. The field, if it exists, is probably in the flood plain or the RR right of way. :)

Is the cache that the opening poster trying reach on public land? :) Has someone, possiably the guy who approached the cachers, been doing damage to any of the public property? :unsure:

I find it offensive that you compare growing pot to rape or worse. Hemp {or pot} was made illegal strictly based on commercial interests. I didn't have time to spend on a big search, so I grabbed the first two links

Where did I mention rape. Try READING more carefully. As for legitimate commecial interests in hemp, I'm all for it as long as it isn't grown/harvested for it's THC properties. I find it just a little hard to believe this grower is interested in this plant something legit.

Where did I mention rape. Try READING more carefully. As for legitimate commecial interests in hemp, I'm all for it as long as it isn't grown/harvested for it's THC properties. I find it just a little hard to believe this grower is interested in this plant something legit.

Seriously. If you can't keep this debate out of the topic we'll have to lock it.

To those that will make suggestions about karma to me.........I'm sorry I don't believe in karma.

That's ok, karma still believes in you....well, the non-duality that encompasses you anyhow.

as for the disparaging remarks about "PotHeads," give it a rest. Not everyone who has a view on something is a drug user. Also, you might be very surprised by the number of professionals and such that you come into contact on a daily basis who partake in a bit of the green from time to time, if not often. They are some of the staunchest supporters of Norml.

sort of reminds me of the people who assume all geocachers are pimply-faced, gangly tech nerds that never grew out of their teens.

Oh, and actually, there are some other issues that surround the legality of a plant being grown, it isn't quite on par with bank robbing. It isn't always a crime.

anyway. do what you want. asking here just accomplishes a stir. Telling here is probably a safer bet.

The guy was probably messing with your head regardless. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.

oh, and adampierson, thanks for the informative links. :mad:

namaste

jen

edited to add that sometimes rangers used felled trees to close a normally open trail area, for instance when they are trying to rehabitat an area. Doesn't sound like what happened here, but do keep it in mind. Rangers will also remove non-indigenous or invasive plants, no matter how pretty.

Edited by norbu