Marijuana

On my way to a cache, a guy on a four wheeler informed me, stupidly, that he had a marijuana crop near the trail I was on. No wonder all the trees were cut down to discourage hikers. I abandoned the hunt; I wonder if I should report the crop to the sheriff. I left a "must archive" note on the cache site; hopefully the cache will be removed for the safety of others.

On my way to a cache, a guy on a four wheeler informed me, stupidly, that he had a marijuana crop near the trail I was on. No wonder all the trees were cut down to discourage hikers. I abandoned the hunt; I wonder if I should report the crop to the sheriff. I left a "must archive" note on the cache site; hopefully the cache will be removed for the safety of others.

Of course you should.

LMAO!!!! I can't believe he'd be stupid enough to just tell a total stranger about his crop. Personally, I think caffeine and alcohol are abused much more than pot (and I just watched my dad die of cancer and pot eased the symptoms).

I guess it is what do YOUR values tell you? If you think pot is bad/evil, tell the authorities. If not, live and let live.

Why did he tell you this?

Why did you stop searching for the cache?

Were you given the impression that this was a dangerous place?

You can call the cops if you want, but I hope the cache doesn't get archived over some plants. Plants that might not even exist.

Smoking pot isn't all that dangerous, but hiking next to some is 100% safe :)

Unless you were given the impression that the grower was potentially violent I don't think I would mark the cache as should be archived. They are just plants after all.

Report it. One of the benefits to the general population that geocaching presents is finding illegal crops, meth labs and who knows what all. Reporting such, with coordiantes for the police, of course, will make rural geocaching safer for us and safer for the general population too.

Assuming the sheriff in your county isn't too too busy, he'd probably be glad to send a deputy or two out with large guns to check it out, even if it might be fake.

Call it in, and you've done your community service for the month... Even if they don't check on it, you can still have the weight off your shoulders..

Regardless of how you feel about whether or not pot is "evil," this should be reported. (I know how I feel, but that isn't the debate here.)

If this guy is growing and/or harvesting pot illegally in a rural area, it is probably not for personal use. Hence, he may view people trampling through "his" grow area as a threat to his business. There could be booby-traps or the danger of the grower himself.

Pot dealers/users aren't all funny, happy, cute burnt-out hippies like we laugh at on TV and in movies. They can be violent just like any other drug abuser.

Be safe and report this before somebody gets hurt.

Can you say karma. If the guy was nice enough to tell you what he was doing then no. Did you tell him what you were doing? If so I would hate for cachers to get a bad rap as a bunch narks. We don’t need to encourage a group of people to start trashing caches. We don’t need the criminal element thinking were a bunch of cops. Someone else already said it best live and let live. I just saw a show on Discovery channel about prohibition. God I hope I spelled that right. And what I got out of it was that trying to control it only made it worse, the religious leaders in charge of the temperance movement even admitted that publicly.

In closeing I just wanted to add that my mother had cancer and smoking that funny little herb helped her time here be more tolerable and pain free. thank you sorry for rambling

Assuming the sheriff in your county isn't too too busy, he'd probably be glad to send a deputy or two out with large guns to check it out, even if it might be fake.

That would my advice too. Call it in, post a note, and if the cache is in a park report the person to the ranger (besides a possiable farm he may be intentionally messing up the trail).

I suppose the person may have been joking, but its not that funny :) .

I just noticed that all the "potheads" came out of the woodwork to defend Marijuana. :)

In reality illegal pot fields can be quite dangerous. The plant is of no danger to cachers, but the protectors of the illegal crop are. I have seen different types of booby traps, where improvised explosives were rigged to detonate via trip wire. These fields can be protected by armed assailants.

I admit that guys behavior was a bit odd. Usually these encounters are more violent.

Be a good citizen and report your encounter.

I informed the owner of the cache, as well as the sheriff.

This is only my second "hunt" . I found one other cache today, but I don't plan on pursuing geocaching after this experience. This is not worth putting my family in danger. I didn't realize these crops could be booby trapped. It could have been much worse.

if you leave the hobby due to this one bad experience it will be a terrible shame. the chances of this sort of thing happening again are so slim. i can't recall reading about anyone being hurt by booby traps for any reason while caching. it's a very safe hobby that is great for all the family. danger only comes from acting daft ie hiking up mountains in winter wearing a t-shirt......

don't go away, stick with it. :)

hopefully others will agree with me.

I'm a bit surprise at the number of responses that take a "leave it alone" approach. Regardless of what you're views on pot are, such a place poses a danger to anyone wandering into the area. Boobytraps and pot owners with guns are things you don't want to run into yourself, not to mention children.

If someone wants to grow pot, let them grow it in the privacy of their own home.

Report what you find to the cops post a note warning others.

First, email me the coords!

In all seriousness, pot is planted everywhere in the South. I find it while hunting and geocaching - I found 16 plants last year that were almost 10' tall planted right in the middle of an abandoned road, not 100 yards off an interstate!

When I lived in California and rode motorcycles it was a weekly occurrance.

I think, based solely on my experience, that the immediate thought tie-in of pot and guns and booby-traps is the product of watching too many movies!

You should do what feels right to your heart and concience about reporting it.

Trying to have strangers in a forum tell you what's right is...wrong!

Umm, why do you need to ask. Of course you should.

Even if you think that pot isn't dangerous, you still have to report it. I'm guessing that you are in an area where marijuanna is illegal. Based on this fact alone you have to call the police. It is the moral duty of every good citizen to report illegal/criminal behaviour. If you saw a bank being robbed you would report it. Growing pot plants and robbing banks are on the same level as far as the law is concerned, they are both illegal.

To those that will make suggestions about karma to me.........I'm sorry I don't believe in karma.

Wow, I'm torn on this one!

I live in B.C. Canada and Marijuanna is the biggest money making industry in the province even though it is illegal. Almost every neighbourhood in the province has at least one or two grow ops (i'm not exaggerating).

I would have to sleep on it!

TeeKay

Even if you think that pot isn't dangerous, you still have to report it.  I'm guessing that you are in an area where marijuanna is illegal.  Based on this fact alone you have to call the police.  It is the moral duty of every good citizen to report illegal/criminal behaviour.  If you saw a bank being robbed you would report it.  Growing pot plants and robbing banks are on the same level as far as the law is concerned, they are both illegal.

To those that will make suggestions about karma to me.........I'm sorry I don't believe in karma.

Well, I don't call the authorities and report every person who exceeds the speed limit or fails to use their turn signal (and there are many on my work commute!)

I agree with both the "live and let live" post, the "do what you feel is right" posts (which you already did).

Also, please continue to geocache. Geocaching will take you to interesting and fun places that you never knew existed.

Just my humble opinion.

SQ

I just noticed that all the "potheads" came out of the woodwork to defend Marijuana. :)

I'm sorry, I just find that a bit offensive. I don't smoke pot, nor have I ever, yet due to the fact that prohibition causes huge profit incentives and creates a black market that fosters the violence that so many associate with illegal drugs, and also due to a firm belief in personal responsibility and self-ownership, I don't believe it should be illegal.

Anyway, I actually find it pretty hard to believe that someone would casually mention something like that to a passing stranger. Of course I deal with the public in my job and no level of stupidity should surprise me. Whether or not I ran to report such things to the local drug warriors would depend entirely on whether or not there were any violence, actual or threatened. That's just me personally.

Obviously, regardless if you believe it should be reported or not, caches near marijuana fields are probably not a good idea.

It's not the pot that's the problem, it's the actions of the person who is out to defend his crop. He apparently has already felled a number of trees onto the rail-trail to discourage hikers, and that by itself warrants some action, since he shouldn't be taking action to prevent hikers from using a trail. I'd report him, just to get the trail reopened safely.

I thought long and hard about putting a cache in the last pot plot I found (mentioned above), just to see what kind of reaction it'd get. I would bet not 1 in 100 cachers would know what pot looks like!

Common sense (or old age) prevailed and I didn't!

I'd still like to know, if I was to put one there, how long it would take for someone to realize what those tall weeds are!

My personal reaction was to leave the area immediately, hairs prickling on the back of my neck, just knowing that the woods were full of cops ready to pounce on me, that they had cameras in the trees, and how was I gonna explain my presence there?

That same feeling is, I suppose, one thing that keeps me honest - I used to drive down through Mexico to Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua with some regularity - five times I have left Nicaragua and come all the way to Birmingham without ever opening my trunk at any border station - but I just KNEW that the first time I had something illegal in it I'd get searched and jailed!

I did "import" some illegal (in the US) firecrackers once, in plain view on my back seat, and at the Brownsville border crossing I was scared to death! The inspector looked at them, looked at me, handed me my passport and walked away! It was 3 a.m. on Christmas morning - I took that to be my gift and never tried that again!

I think that finding a pot field near a cache is not a reason to stop geocaching or for the cache to be archived. i've found 125 caches and never come across a pot field, and if i had i wouldnt be so worried about it. It sounds like you didnt even get to the field, the guy just told you about it. Booby traps and armed guards? I dont think some bigtime grower who would rig up big traps and have armed guards would plant his crop in a park or anywhere near a hiking trail. It was probably just some guy growing a little for him and his friends. Reporting it was your call, i probably wouldnt have done it. Whats that really going to accomplish? It is going to ruin that guys day when he finds his crop gone (if there really was one) but its not going to stop people from smoking pot or make people much safer.

p.s. Kit Fox, no i dont smoke the stuff

Regardless of whatever my feelings are about the use of marijuana, it would piss me off royally to find out that someone was using one of my public parks for the purpose of growing it. I would definitely report it and follow up with the police or park rangers to make sure that the situation had been investigated.

I'm sorry, I just find that a bit offensive. I don't smoke pot, nor have I ever, yet due to the fact that prohibition causes huge profit incentives and creates a black market that fosters the violence that so many associate with illegal drugs, and also due to a firm belief in personal responsibility and self-ownership, I don't believe it should be illegal.

Anyway, I actually find it pretty hard to believe that someone would casually mention something like that to a passing stranger. Of course I deal with the public in my job and no level of stupidity should surprise me. Whether or not I ran to report such things to the local drug warriors would depend entirely on whether or not there were any violence, actual or threatened. That's just me personally.

Obviously, regardless if you believe it should be reported or not, caches near marijuana fields are probably not a good idea.

Excellent thought.

During WWII, hemp was grown all over northern and central Indiana because the government deemed it necessary. Although the fields were destroyed, volunteer plants still flourish. Known as “ditch weed,” the current Indiana crop is basically worthless for THC use.

Any ideas of hidden fields with booby traps or armed guards are ridiculous (I’m sure, however, that enterprising potheads grow their own hybrid plants, usually isolated and on private property). If this was Hawaii, and in an episode of Magnum, I might feel differently.

I’m not sure where this cache is located (and you can be sure I won’t be heading there anytime soon), but most likely, there are some volunteer plants (or not) that somebody just wanted to make you aware of, for whatever reason. Maybe they thought you were a pothead and they were just checking you out. Maybe they wanted to party. Maybe they were suspicious and thought you were the law. Maybe there are no plants at all.

At any rate, don’t quit a game as fulfilling as geocaching because of a petty thing like this. It’s a big world out there; somebody has to see it. :D:)

Even if you think that pot isn't dangerous, you still have to report it.  I'm guessing that you are in an area where marijuanna is illegal.  Based on this fact alone you have to call the police.  It is the moral duty of every good citizen to report illegal/criminal behaviour.  If you saw a bank being robbed you would report it.  Growing pot plants and robbing banks are on the same level as far as the law is concerned, they are both illegal.

Well, I don't call the authorities and report every person who exceeds the speed limit or fails to use their turn signal (and there are many on my work commute!)

I agree with both the "live and let live" post, the "do what you feel is right" posts (which you already did).

Also, please continue to geocache. Geocaching will take you to interesting and fun places that you never knew existed.

Just my humble opinion.

SQ

Speed limits contrary to what most people believe is subject to the road conditions. Although speeding is a crime, it certainly ISN'T a crime that comes close to growing marijuana - depending on where you live. I believe the seriousness of the crime is based on how much is being grown. If somoene needs to grow it out in the middle of nowhere, you can bet they are growing it with the idea of selling it for more than personal use.

The live and let live idea is just ridiculous. Imagine using this philosophy in other situations like say... racism or necrophilia. Actually necrophillia is an perfect example to compare pot to. Both can be argued to be victimless or something that doesn't hurt anybody else. Should you as a citizen IGNORE this crime?

If you come across a crop of pot and it is illegal where you live, report it to the local authorities. Chances are the cops will come in and remove the pot and that would be the end of it. If the pot grower is stupid enough fight over his crop, he deserves to be tossed in jail.

Cachers only need to consider a few things when going out to a cache:

1) Is this a place where I would want other to go?

2) If you see a problem, fix it - if you're not - call on someone who is

3) If you see something that other cachers should know prior to going to a cache site post your findings

4) It is alway better to be safe than sorry

Interesting. I never said I smoked pot so I don't see how I can be considered a pothead. I will tell you that in the past, pot was the ONLY thing that stopped my migraines in their tracks with NO side effects (unlike that crap they are pushing now which made me feel like I was having a heart attack). I saw how pot helped my 78 year old father who was dying of cancer. I guess that made him a pothead? Do you know what it is like to see a parent wither away before your eyes? It did help him eat (for awhile, until he gave up). He weighed less than 100 lbs when he died. Stupid pothead.

Do you have any idea what fuels this irrational fear of cannabis? Big business of course. As soon as the pharma industry can figure out how to corner the market, pot will be legal. Also, the alcohol industry sure as heck doesn't want to see pot legalized. They have too much to lose. I encourage you to do some real research before painting anyone who opposes this current prohibitionist mentality as a pothead. And a clue: most of the government studies have been PROVEN to have been tampered with for political purposes.

It should be noted that there are two different plants here. While both plants are called cannabis l. sativa, industrial hemp has an incredibly low THC level and all you would get from smoking that would be a really bad headache. Industrial hemp can be used for everything from rope to fabric to food products to biodiesel. Our first flag was made from hemp fabric. Industrial hemp fell out of favor no thanks to DuPont back in the late 40's when they received a patent for this new man-made fabric called nylon. Marijuana has its obvious uses I don't need to go into.

These plants can cross-pollinate, which means a pot grower would not want an industrial hemp grower near him because it would ruin the THC levels of his plants. So if the government was actually serious about eliminating pot, why not allow farmers to grow industrial hemp? (Hint: petrochem and cotton industries would not like it). Industrial hemp is grown WITHOUT poisonous pesticides and farmers in Canada where industrial hemp can be grown legally have found that their soil is in better condition that before they planted it.

Oh yeah, and my post count is so low because I just started geocaching after learning about the game on another site. I now have 2 whole finds! And sore muscles :D

Edited by roadtrippin'

I can't believe so many people are just instantly buying the idea that a pot farmer would just ride up and casually mention to a complete stranger that he was growing marijuana nearby. Um...no, I don't think so. They have a little too much worth protecting and hiding to be so nonchalant about what they're doing.

Frankly, Indytreasure, I think the guy who told you that was yanking your chain.

P.S. I for one don't buy the argument either that just because something is illegal, you have a moral obligation to report the activity. That's each person's own ethical decision to make.

Just my humble opinion.

SQ

Speed limits contrary to what most people believe is subject to the road conditions. Although speeding is a crime, it certainly ISN'T a crime that comes close to growing marijuana - depending on where you live. I believe the seriousness of the crime is based on how much is being grown. If somoene needs to grow it out in the middle of nowhere, you can bet they are growing it with the idea of selling it for more than personal use.

The live and let live idea is just ridiculous. Imagine using this philosophy in other situations like say... racism or necrophilia. Actually necrophillia is an perfect example to compare pot to. Both can be argued to be victimless or something that doesn't hurt anybody else. Should you as a citizen IGNORE this crime?

If you come across a crop of pot and it is illegal where you live, report it to the local authorities. Chances are the cops will come in and remove the pot and that would be the end of it. If the pot grower is stupid enough fight over his crop, he deserves to be tossed in jail.

Cachers only need to consider a few things when going out to a cache:

1) Is this a place where I would want other to go?

2) If you see a problem, fix it - if you're not - call on someone who is

3) If you see something that other cachers should know prior to going to a cache site post your findings

4) It is alway better to be safe than sorry

Ummm having sex with dead people and growing/smoking pot is way different....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!