Geocoin

Ladycacher

I have noticed that the Geocoins on here have been personal or by state. So I am wondering which ones I have. It is a gold coin with a tracking number and activation code. It says to go to Groudspeak.com. Basicly it is packaged just like a travel bug. It has the geocache logo and it says geocaching.com on the coin under the logo, plus other writing(I am assuming this is the front). The back has an american flag and tracking number plus a few other things. Is this an original Geocoin through Geocaching.com? I have six of these that I just recently bought and am just wondering if these are the originals.

Thanks

Those are USA geocoins. Along with moun10bike coins, they are the only geocoins that can be tracked through the geocaching website.

German Geocoins can be tracked as well. There are some other up and coming coins that have purchased tracking ability through GC.com

Damenace

Edited by Damenace

you will never see any of these aforementioned coins in a cache so who really cares? who cares if they are trackable? the only tracking that will go on will be the owner who bought one logging it in and than sitting on his/her desk and or stuffing it in a box of geocaching trinkets that amounts to about 20 dollars.

you will never see any of these aforementioned coins in a cache so who really cares? who cares if they are trackable? the only tracking that will go on will be the owner who bought one logging it in and than sitting on his/her desk and or stuffing it in a box of geocaching trinkets that amounts to about 20 dollars.

i disagree. there are German coins out in caches right now. i don't know if i would release one, not for the sake of collecting but rather cost. at the approximate $11 to get a coin to the USA and the survival rate at which coins last, thats a pretty expenseive risk, yet people are taking it. I would like to have a PA coin trackable here that i could put as a FTF prize and watch it travel. Maybe the next time they are minted they will become trckable here. If so i will buy one for this. As far as the other ones that are bought and just logged by the owner, isn't that his right to do with his coin?

Not true, I don't even plan on logging them in :unsure: . They will remain unactivated and therefore you will never even know I have them ( Of course there are ways of knowing which ones I have). In addition I can guarantee you that the box of trinkets that I own is worth far more than the $20.00 you give it credit for.

Damenace

I disagree also. I think generally if a person puts a trackable coin out there, just like a Travelbug, and attach something saying it is meant to be moved then it will have a good chance of moving along.

I know that there are still quite a few of the 2003 USA Geocoins that are still out and about. :unsure: