Gps Help

My teacher and i have a bet going on that there are no Ladigimet gps for under 5 dollars But on the fourms there was some body selling garmans for around that much with a 99% satasifaction rate dose anyone have the link please. My teache said that he would by ten if it were true. :ph34r:

If only you had listened to your spelling teacher :ph34r:

ieSpell is your friend.

I find that every now and then when posting, I make a spelling error. I rely on the kindness of others to ignore them.

Of course, if I am involved in what could be described as a minor flame-war, I always spell check before posting. No sense in giving your enemies ammunition.

jtd18801 and friends have hidden 5 caches, a boon to local geocachers indeed. A member of the team posted to the forums to ask advice and Lil Devil mocks their spelling?

Thank you jtd18801 and friends for placing all the caches, it is really nice to see people create things for other people to enjoy. Place more caches for the likes of "Lil Devil" to find. I am sure the devil will be grateful for your efforts.

I would say that misspellings are distracting but whatever.

To answer the original post I don't think there was such an offer. If there was such an offer I would assume there was some kind of catch (like the free iPod offers going around). However, eBay is an excellent source for low-cost GPS units. Any 12 channel GPS receiver will work for you.

If only you had listened to your spelling teacher :ph34r:

ieSpell is your friend.

I find that every now and then when posting, I make a spelling error. I rely on the kindness of others to ignore them.

Of course, if I am involved in what could be described as a minor flame-war, I always spell check before posting. No sense in giving your enemies ammunition.

jtd18801 and friends have hidden 5 caches, a boon to local geocachers indeed. A member of the team posted to the forums to ask advice and Lil Devil mocks their spelling?

Thank you jtd18801 and friends for placing all the caches, it is really nice to see people create things for other people to enjoy. Place more caches for the likes of "Lil Devil" to find. I am sure the devil will be grateful for your efforts.

I think most people are pretty forgiving of a typo or two. That said, it looks like jtd18801 and friends are high school students? We aren't talking 1-2 typos here, we are talking 2nd grade spelling. Borderline illiterate. I was embarrassed reading the original post.

Embarrassed for jtd18801. Embarrassed for his/her parents. Embarrassed that there is an education system in PA that allows this.

My teacher and i have a bet going on that there are no Ladigimet gps for under 5 dollars But on the fourms there was some body selling garmans for around that much with a 99% satasifaction rate dose anyone have the link please. My teache said that he would by ten if it were true. 

That's not counting all the punctuation, capitalization, and grammar errors.

If we were talking a typo here and there, then I think Lil Devil would have been over the line, but in this case, LD's comment was right on the mark.

Edit: Of course, it's not just in PA.

Edited by Mopar

You know, as much as I am a grammar nut (but not that crazy), it is of my humble opinion that posts like the one above are not the way to go when trying to help someone learn how to write better. If anything it takes some practice to become a better writer. Guess what? Posting in the forums is a good way to get more practice and I appreciate the attempt to post in these forums.

So take your political observations aside and appreciate that at least one student is typing a message in this forum and (possibly) learning from it. Feel free to correct their spelling but I consider it very bad taste to do it publicly, especially in this manner. Send a PM already.

The cheapest new GPSr I've seen is $77.00. It is a piece of junk, but it is a NEW piece of junk. Make that $67.85, a real gem too. They could probably be persuaded to give a slight discount if purchased in lots of 100 or so.

Edited by Team cotati697

First of all I've met jtd18801 while caching and I assure you that calling him "illiterate" is not even remotely correct. Anyway...

The cheapest new GPS I've seen is $49.

Would you mind sharing what and where this GPS is? Even if it's not that great it could make a good one to throw in the glove box.

First of all I've met jtd18801 while caching and I assure you that calling him "illiterate" is not even remotely correct. Anyway...

Would you mind sharing what and where this GPS is? Even if it's not that great it could make a good one to throw in the glove box.

And then what?

And we all know that Vårgsëld? ™ is the king of things we cannot read, and certainly cannot pronounce! :wub:B)B)

You just don't like caches named after Norse mythology. :mad:

And then what?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but I just like to have a spare with me. Hey, it can't hurt.

Edited by Vårgsëld? ™

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe. B)

Well, writing practice is good. He probably spells just fine but if he has a High School experience like mine, there is no time to worry about spelling. You are always on the go. I don't read the forums for the great grammar and spelling but for the content.

I grade standardized tests and his mistakes are nothing compared to what I ve seen. Keep posting.

Oh, and were are these $5.00 GPSrs. It would make a great starter for my kids.

I don't mind $5 getting dropped, kicked, tugged on, dropped down a whole and left abandoned for a good look at a ladybug, but $285+ there could be issues.

Don't let the whiners get you down, jtd18801; my second son (now 27) spells just about the same way you do, if not worse!

Despite growing up in some of the finest schools in the country he never quite got the spelling thing down, even after many professional interventions and testings!

He's smart as a whip in all other ways, and overcame his spelling handicap by being hard-working, honest, loyal and caring.

As a technical writer I often find his spelling heartbreaking, and for years worried about his employability.

He started out as a laborer on a friend's construction crew soon after high school, and now owns a successful cabinetry shop in Scottsdale Arizona, owns an apartment complex and manages maintenence for 650 others.

The kid's knocking down $150,000.+ a year and I still can't read his writing!

My third son is 23, quit school in the 10th grade, floundered around till he was 21, got married, got his GED, got hired as a Deputy Sheriff for Gwinnet County, Ga., recently helped produce my first grand-son and is a happy camper!

As I age my eyesight worsens, and after breaking my neck a few years ago I can't type as well as I once did (no feeling in my left fingers!) so my spelling has gone downhill as well - a spell-checker is the only tool that makes me look the least bit literate, and I don't bother with one in forums posts!

Have fun,

Ed

So about that $49 GPS... Sheesh...

EBAY Etrex

Here's one close to the $49.00. Typically, you can find used units for around that price. I've seen them at Target or Best Buy, on sale, for $49.00 (50% off) but that is very rare and they do not last very long.

I have the E-trex and a Sportrack Map. I like them both and both work great. I do like the ability to upload into the Magellan, but the E-Trex tends to be a little more accurate, strangely enough.

[The contents of this message have been checked and verified, to be error-free, by the National Spelling and Grammar Council] B)

How about a spell checker for Firefox? I made a post a long time ago suggesting that people should make an effort to format and grammar/spell check their posts before hitting submit, and of course my post got picked apart for its many errors. All in good fun.

{edit for...........................................spelling!}

Edited by klassenl

The solution isn't to write a lot; if your spelling, punctuation, and grammar are atrocious, then making the same mistakes over and over solves nothing.

The solution is to READ more. The more exposure one has to properly written words, correct sentence structure, and the like, the easier it'll be to mimic when one writes for oneself.

I myself probably read 50-100 books a year, along with a variety of periodicals, and I never have to use spellcheckers. I'll occasionally mistype something if I'm typing hurriedly, but I generally realize it and correct it before posting.

Just MHO.

And if I could find a $5 GPSr, I'd buy it just to see if it actually worked or was hollow and filled with candy.

Comments about the spelling was probably little bit harsh, but bad spelling might cause real missunderstanding. My initial tought from the message was that it is a Troll. Alltough I cannot criticise much anyones spelling because mine is what it is, but I have reason to that. I am not native speaker.

What comes to original questions. I doubt very much that you could find GPS for $ 5.

And we all know that Vårgsëld? ™ is the king of things we cannot read, and certainly cannot pronounce! :wub::D:mad:

You just don't like caches named after Norse mythology. B)

While Vargseld makes perfect sense to me and is simple to pronounce, I have to doubt that Vårgsëld has much to do with Norse mythology. AFAIK, it's also pronounced differently. B)

As for the spelling in forums generally, as a non-native English speaker, I appreciate correct spelling greatly, since 1) I myself have sometimes problems with spelling and phrasing and 2) wrong spelling in cases like to vs. too or your vs. you're can make the whole point of the post more difficult to understand. B)

The solution isn't to write a lot; if your spelling, punctuation, and grammar are atrocious, then making the same mistakes over and over solves nothing.

The solution is to READ more. The more exposure one has to properly written words, correct sentence structure, and the like, the easier it'll be to mimic when one writes for oneself.

I myself probably read 50-100 books a year, along with a variety of periodicals, and I never have to use spellcheckers. I'll occasionally mistype something if I'm typing hurriedly, but I generally realize it and correct it before posting.

Just MHO.

And if I could find a $5 GPSr, I'd buy it just to see if it actually worked or was hollow and filled with candy.

I agree, writing a lot won't help anyone who lacks BASIC spelling skills. Reading may help if the individual can read (usually, if you can't spell you can't read either).

I think the post in question was so poorly written that it has to be a joke. If it was, then it's an insult to all the rest of us who graduated the 3rd grade. If not, this individual's spelling teacher (s) should be strung up by the gonads.

As far as buying a GPS for $5.00....sounds to me like the teacher and student have been smoking something funny.

While Vargseld makes perfect sense to me and is simple to pronounce, I have to doubt that Vårgsëld has much to do with Norse mythology. AFAIK, it's also pronounced differently. :)

When I realized that special characters were supported I kind of went hog wild. Not many people where I'm from realize there's much of a difference between the two names, anyway. I'm not even 100% sure how to properly pronounce Vårgsëld. :D By the way, my name has nothing to do with Norse mythology, only some of my caches.

So about that $49 GPS... Sheesh...

EBAY Etrex

Here's one close to the $49.00. Typically, you can find used units for around that price. I've seen them at Target or Best Buy, on sale, for $49.00 (50% off) but that is very rare and they do not last very long.

I have the E-trex and a Sportrack Map. I like them both and both work great. I do like the ability to upload into the Magellan, but the E-Trex tends to be a little more accurate, strangely enough.

[The contents of this message have been checked and verified, to be error-free, by the National Spelling and Grammar Council] :)

The theory is that you can get a NEW gpsr for that price. Seen any of those on eBay?

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.  :)

When you average less than 4 letters per word, it's not very valid to claim anything about how jumbling the middle letters does or does not affect our ability to read the text. Let's see this hold up if I say:

Hilpapy aoutrhs sitll issnit on fwinollog dullfready oslotebe snellpig.

Happily authors still insist on following dreadfully obsolete spelling.

or

Nreuuoms pmeeononnhs peossss uiapocmltecnd etaaoilxnpn; nwttdtsniinoahg, the pdseuo-snfiiiectc spssliiimm is not snfiiiectc and eieecndvs are oetfn mdanleiisg.

Numerous phenomenons possess uncomplicated explanation; notwithstanding, the pseudo-scientific simplisism is not scientific and evidences are often misleading.

:D

Edited by ju66l3r

I keep hearing about this "new $49 GPSr" but haven't been able to find it anywhere.. What brand/model is it, and who sells it? Is that $49 US dollars?

The Geko 101 was selling for $49 some places not long ago, including Amazon.com. It seems to have gone up a bit as its listed as $79 right now.

Edited by briansnat
Nreuuoms pmeeononnhs peossss uiapocmltecnd etaaoilxnpn; nwttdtsniinoahg, the pdseuo-snfiiiectc spssliiimm is not snfiiiectc and eieecndvs are oetfn mdanleiisg.

Numerous phenomenons possess uncomplicated explanation; notwithstanding, the pseudo-scientific simplisism is not scientific and evidences are often misleading.

:blink:

Of course, on the other hand, we all appreciate four letter words, blah, blah, blah... :unsure:

Actually, the spelling quite annoyed me, too... I find that when a post has a large number of spelling errors or gramatical errors I have great difficulty getting past them to the meaning of what is being said.

In fact, posts like the first one often come across to me like Charlie Brown's parents talking in the cartoon..

With that said, however... If you think you're going to find a $5 GPSr, you're insane. You will, however, likely manage one or two here and there that you might be able to get used for around $40 - if you're looking for the base model.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.  :)

funny how many people refuse to believe it until they read through that story..

i think i actually read it faster..

:unsure:

well if people want to get on a spelling flame war well i should be the one to come to.

Now saying that I have a learning disability that includes very bad spelling. But above adverage reading. FLAME AWAY I'm shure all of you have a flaw that others can laugh at so lets have some fealings for others and think before you speek. I see many posts where people try to help make handycap accesable caches but then you jump on someone for bad spelling. Good work guys!!!!

Hmmm... is discussing low cost GPSrs off topic at this point?

I did a little digging and found a Lowrance iFinder GO for $69 US at TigerGPS. I am not familiar with the unit, but it seems to offer more than the Garmin eTrex at $99.

Anyone know of a review of the iFinder Go or iFinder Go2? The Go2 seems to be the same unit with more detailed maps (64MB vs. 32MB).

:mad: