Please Dont Shout!

For Brian, and anyone else who cares about perhaps this islands greatest gift to humanity (no, not The Beatles, they were a close second) - English- the rule is very simple (which, I suppose is why it annoys so many people when it's not followed?)

To. From me to you. I'm going to come shortly. Where to?

- A link word about things, people and places.

Too. Too much, daddy-o. I'm too tired. I'll go too.

- Meaning both 'more than enough' and 'As well'

I know English is a pig, but I love it. Too much, perhaps?

SP

How many more times are people going to be "moaned" at for the way they  ......log a find,type in the forums,place a cache,find a cache,spell,sneeze, fart or even breath?????

Come on guys .....this is supposed to be a "FUN GAME".

YES spelling mistakes,capital letters (on or off),bad english,bad punctuation etc etc etc can all be annoying BUT.....................Does it REALLY matter?

Loads of things irritate me but then I am far from perfect myself and until the day I become a perfect being then I will not judge others simply on the way they decide to play or chat or log or speak about this game.

Sits back and waits for the onslaught  :ph34r:

NES xxxxx

Surely not...!

There, place, as in "over there"

Their, posession, as in "their car"

They're, contraction, short for "They Are"

Simple!!

but Why ????

If things sound the same they should be writ the same...anything else is just pretensious and elitest nonsense.

Chris

I DO hope you're taking the piss? Please tell me that writing English correctly is not 'nonsense'.

Nope not extracting the urine - if someone could explain to me the logic of having 3 words that sound the same spelt differently then I might change my opinion. Otherwise I can see no reason for it.

And don't say "its right" - its only right because someone made it up, it can be unmade just as easily. And don't say "its what the dictionary says" as the dictionary is just another book, if you follow that logic Mein Kampf, The Bible and The Lord of the Rings are all guides to how to live your life :mad:

Chris

The logic is simple - the three words mean completely different things. :wub:

Whether people care about this fact in everyday written English on forums and in logs is another matter; and I guess that that is the loose connection to geocaching. B)

By Logic, I mean why write words differently whenwe don't say them differently? Why have an extra layer of complication in English as she is writ as opposed to english as what she is spoke? B)

I have never ever understood the need for it.

Chris

There, place, as in "over there"

Their, posession, as in "their car"

They're, contraction, short for "They Are"

Simple!!

but Why ????

If things sound the same they should be writ the same...anything else is just pretensious and elitest nonsense.

Chris

I DO hope you're taking the piss? Please tell me that writing English correctly is not 'nonsense'.

Nope not extracting the urine - if someone could explain to me the logic of having 3 words that sound the same spelt differently then I might change my opinion. Otherwise I can see no reason for it.

And don't say "its right" - its only right because someone made it up, it can be unmade just as easily. And don't say "its what the dictionary says" as the dictionary is just another book, if you follow that logic Mein Kampf, The Bible and The Lord of the Rings are all guides to how to live your life B)

Chris

And anyway, how did the person who wrote the first dictionary know how to spell the words?

By Logic, I mean why write words differently when we don't say them differently?

Because they're different words, with different meanings. If they were spelled in the same way, you wouldn't be able to tell which one was which.

Why have an extra layer of complication in English as she is writ as opposed to english as what she is spoke?

Because written language is not the same as spoken language. In some cases (as with English) there's a relationship between the two. There are other places and cultures where written and spoken languages have nothing to do with each other - China, for example.

-Wlw.

Also if they sound the same, why the blinkey flip have people decided to spell them differently? Its- just so they can smugly sit there and say "you've spelt that wrong".

Actually they have always been spelt differently - in the past, "more" differently - and it's the pronunciation that has come closer together over the years.

"Their" comes from the Vikings.

"There" comes from the Saxons.

"They are" is the Vikings again, and at some point the two words got run together.

Incidentally, although "are" is from the Vikings, "is" is from the Saxons (possibly via the Romans: "est"), and "am" can plausibly be traced back to Ancient Greek.

The English language is a mongrel - but it reacts well to being treated like a Crufts' champion. B)

Because written language is not the same as spoken language.

Well thats just silly and asking for confusion...it should be stopped at once!

Try reading verbatim reports of spoken language, such as witness statements, some of which I'm having to digest at this moment. It's not an easy or pleasant task. B)

Because written language is not the same as spoken language.

Well thats just silly and asking for confusion...it should be stopped at once!

Even languages like

The French language has a government department to determine its rules (the Académie Française is financed by the French taxpayer, which would tick me off royally if I was a Belgian or Swiss or Québecois native speaker of French!), but it's also full of this kind of inconsistency.

Dutch ought to be simpler, but again, despite the Dutch and Belgians getting together to reform its formal spelling and some of its grammar just after WW2 (not least to make it less like German), there are inconsistencies there too.

The problem is that if every time someone spotted that the written and spoken languages were getting a bit out of sync they passed a law, we'd all have to learn new spellings every other week. English got where it is by being flexible over time, the same way that TCP/IP came to dominate network protocols. French is arguably a more expressive language, but like the OSI 7-layer protocol stack, it was undone by the weight of the formal spec. (Sorry for the geek stuff there.)

<snip>

<snip>

By Logic, I mean why write words differently whenwe don't say them differently? Why have an extra layer of complication in English as she is writ as opposed to english as what she is spoke?

I have never ever understood the need for it.

Chris

I'm catching up on this thread and I'm wondering - is the point that all similar sounding words should be spelt the same, or just the three that vex you?

I particularly worried about the Sheik 'v' Shake dilemna. Lets say you are reading a book about Desparate Housewives and one says "I'd like a shake". You'd want to know if she was interested in bedding middle eastern royalty or wanted a refreshing drink high in calcium.

Also

air & heir

pair & pear

bear & bare

their & there

hare & hair

be & bee

practice & practise (spelt the same in American spelling)

hi & high

shore & sure (depending on your accent)

yore & your

whole & hole

roll & role

curb & kerb (spelt the same in American spelling)

check & cheque (spelt the same in American spelling)

Red & Read(past participle of read)

Reed & Read(present tense)

Tea & Tee

Be & Bee

Road, Rode & Rowed

Wood & Would

Sea & see

Weak & week

None & nun

Eye & I

Roe & row

But & butt

Ore, or & oar

Court & caught

To standardise each pair would be really confusing I think you'd agree.

I'm catching up on this thread and I'm wondering - is the point that all similar sounding words should be spelt the same, or just the three that vex you?

Nope - sounds the same...spell it the same.

If there is confusion use a different word.. simple.

Geocache- Geocash would it make any difference ?

Also if I said to you "I fancy a shake" you would have to have more information to understand what I was talking about. the same should apply to writing - otherwise its just lazyness.

Edited by Chris n Maria

Also if I said to you "I fancy a shake" you would have to have more information to understand what I was talking about. the same should apply to writing - otherwise its just lazyness.

If Boysie wrote that, I can see it could be even more confusing B)

Also if I said to you "I fancy a shake" you would have to have more information to understand what I was talking about.  the same should apply to writing - otherwise its just lazyness.

If Boysie wrote that, I can see it could be even more confusing B)

Supurb - touche B)

So far we have established that English is blooming complicated....So why do people insist on moaning at people at others who don't get it "right".

Their energy would be much better spent on finding ways to make the language more usable and understandable.

Chris (standing in for Boysie who has gone to bed now :wub: )

Geocache- Geocash would it make any difference ?

In fact Geocache is in fact 2 words Geo=Earth and Cache=hidden stash or store. I was reminded of this today upon seeing it written as Geo Caching (note the gap) on the side of the carriage reserved for us. Geocaching was spelt out over the phone for the booking as one word but was split by the writer into its 2 parts. Mind you if I would not mind calling it Geocashing if it ment I was looking for hidden money B)

Dave

Interesting that no-one (not even Eckington's list) has mentioned "Cash" and "Cache"...

...which is not only another example, but also brings the thread back onto the topic of Geocaching, with a sickening thud. :)

-Wlw.

Nope - not all people say these the same...

On a recent poll in the NZ geocaching forums, approximately 3/4 of people pronounced geocaching as "geokayshing". A similar poll on the Australian forums came up with 2/3's...

Ain't we a strange bunch downunder?!

Aye no that sum poeple cant spel or pun two ate proper. Butt its posible too reed most cash logs. Praps are next cash rite up ort two bee inn this vain.

Ian

Nope, 3 goes and I still don't get it.

I know some people cant spell or punctuate properly.But it's possible to read most cache logs. Perhaps our next cache write up ought to be in this vain.

Brought to you as a Deego public service :mad:

Edited by Deego

why the hell cant people just leave this alone some of us can only wright becoes of computers it dose not help when people take the p@"£s at our spelling . Ipersonaly get fed up with the constent putting down that i get from other people in life without getting it from so called freinds. can we just please give it a rest !!!! if you can understand what it says then wayhay al is good if not ask the person to delete there log and help them to type it out on there behalf it wouldnt kill you would it how hard and expensive is it to put yourself out for two mins to help some one please just think what comments like THIS do to people with genuine disabilitys why should i stay silent because people cant be bothered to try to see what i am saying i have had years of taking rubbish for my spelling and wrighting and for one i will not tak any more PLEASE THINK ABOUT THE FOLK WHO CANT DO IT it is not becaus im lazy can you imagine how much it hurts me when my step daughter age 8 comes home and askes me how to spell words and i cant tell her

i am 27 i dont need to hear it here i get enogh every were else sorry for the rant but i is how i feel :mad:

editited becoes i whant to stay on geocaching and not get kicked out for upseting soft minded folk

Edited by fruity