Mountain Marsh

Prying Pandora

So is there a final list of caches for the trip?

There is still 1 or 2 caches waiting to be approved. One should be approved once Team Misguided checks their e-mail. The other is iffy and may not make it in time because it's an earthcache. But I can bring the sheet for it and if people want to do it and then log it after it's approved I'm fine with that.

Assuming you guys want to hit the new caches up there. One is almost in the parking lot and the other took us a half mile to get to but only about .2 miles to get back. :D

Well looks like I need a ride South as well.  I can meet anyone at any park-n-ride and am willing to share gas money, etc.  I'm coming down from Everett so can meet up with anyone heading South.

LandRover where are you leaving from?

LB I can pick you up at the p-n-p of your choice.

I am in Federal Way, if you want to come down this far and either pick me up or park your car I will drive. Either one would work for me. Let me know.

Hey LandRover- I'll drive down there and meet you- but can I ride in the front? That way I have more room for my not as bendy as before leg. It's already doing a lot better than yesterday!

LB if you can drive this far you can ride in front. Where would you like to meet? There is a PNR (Star Lake) @ S272nd off I-5, Exit 147. It's about a 2 hour drive if we drive straight through, so meet sometime between 0730 & 0800 earlier if you want to pick up a few caches on the way down.

RecDiver do you want to meet up in FW too?

Ok- so is there anyone I could ride with from the P&R? LandRover? Anyone?

It looks, Meeting at the Newcastle P&R, like we have:

• hydnsek*
  • k7-wave
  • kiersolvd*
  • blacravin
  • andrewrj & wife
  • Right Wing Wacko
  • Cruiser Guy
  • Little Blue
  • AnalogDog*

* potential drivers

LB, blacravin lives in Duval

Meeting time is 7:00 am

We could do a rolling caravan and pick up people in Kent, Federal Way, Tacoma on the way down. Phil & Cathy? Landrover? How's that sound?

So it looks like I will be dropping the kids off at grandma and grampa's house friday night and then leaving from there on saturday morning(gig harbor) with my dad in tow(steamboat). So I won't make the park and ride stop, but will see everyone in woodland. :D

Allaonon's List has over twenty caches. That's pretty ambitious for an event that won't start till after 1000, ends well before dark, and has a two hour round trip drive in between.

I assume the trimming will be done at the end of the day on the caches along I-5, and that those who really want to do them will get them before the initial meeting.

I think Hot Lava needs to be added to the primary list. It's the only accessible cache on on the Mountain not listed. As far as I can tell the road is paved all the way to the parking area.

For those who are interested in the oldest caches (That was the original impetus for this folly), you might want to consider a short drive South from Woodland for The Old Carty Place, which is the 18th oldest in the state.

Dang man they are dropping like flys. I hope you all are feeling better soon.

I also would rather spend time on the mountain. It is definitly an out of the way drive for me but I occasionally drive south to portland and could, in theory, get those later.

The I-5 caches are listed only in case of time. I had a similar list for the last one which obviously we ignored. I do not figure we'll hit any of them but thought they should be listed in case we're running ahead of time.

The 20 caches already on the list don't include 2 others that were recently approved near Ape Cave. It also doesn't include Bucket O Apes and Plan B which some riders may want to chase. In other words, we have a long list.

Hot Lava is at least another half hour each way of driving. If that's okay with the crew that would be a nice one to add. Though, in my opinion, if the weather is bad it would be best to skip it. If we're not going to enjoy it why drive an hour to get it?

The Old Carty place is 7 miles south of the meeting spot so we'd be backtracking and personally, I would not recommend adding it to the list. But if you did there is a micro right on the trail that you'd walk right by so it should be added as well.

Hot Lava is at least another half hour each way of driving.

Five miles (from Mountain Marsh) of paved road is half an hour? :) I said I think it is paved. Do you know something you're not telling?

Well, it was just a guess after being in that area last weekend. It's 12 miles miles from Ape Cave to Lava Canyon. The road is paved but it isn't a freeway so we'll be going slower. The 5 miles is as the crow flies not as the forest road is paved.

But you're right, it'll probably be closer to 20 minutes extra driving each way.

I'd still vote for it if it's a nice day and against it if it's rainy.

LR- I'll meet you at 7:30 or so where you suggested- I'll give you a call when I am getting close- it'll be a drive for me just to get down to where you are. SInce recdiver isn't going, will one passenger be sufficient for you? Call me on my cell if you have any questions- don't know how much more I'll be on the computer tonight.

LR- I'll meet you at 7:30 or so where you suggested- I'll give you a call when I am getting close- it'll be a drive for me just to get down to where you are. SInce recdiver isn't going, will one passenger be sufficient for you? Call me on my cell if you have any questions- don't know how much more I'll be on the computer tonight.

Miss Blue,

Sounds good. Call me when you get near South Center.

I hate to have to miss this, but I've been fighting bronchitis for a week I just don't have the energy. Hacking up lung-butter really takes it out of ya.

LandRover...thanks for the carpool offer! I would definitely have taken you up on a rideshare, either in your vehicle or mine. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner; I've been zonked out and haven't been checking my email as often as usual.

Sounds like it's going to be a fun day...enjoy!

I'm with Blindleader on how to prioritize which caches to do.  I'd much rather get caches up in the mountains and woods than along the freeway.  Hot Lava is high on my list for that reason.  Same with  The Old Carty Place

This trip is not for numbers.... thats two weeks from now in bremerton. That being said, since I'm riding.... I'll do what the driver wants. :)

The driver prefers mountain caches! :)

I hate to have to miss this, but I've been fighting bronchitis for a week I just don't have the energy. Hacking up lung-butter really takes it out of ya.

LandRover...thanks for the carpool offer! I would definitely have taken you up on a rideshare, either in your vehicle or mine. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner; I've been zonked out and haven't been checking my email as often as usual.

Sounds like it's going to be a fun day...enjoy!

Oh no - the wench, I mean winch, won't be there! What if we encounter a fallen pine sapling? The boys won't know what to do! :)

Hope ya feel better soon, GG!

So Culp if you are bringing the saw, should I bring chains and axe's? And whos going to be in Newcastle. And one more note. Sorry to hear, that are fellow cachers from the last trip won't be making it. You will be missed by all of us. Hope you all recover.

Edited by blacravin

The second assault has been completed. Along with others. Besides the Marsh cache And CC Bigfoot. We managed to have the weather hold out and had a lot of fun. For al of you that didn't make .You were definitely missed. There were a great group of people out there. Loss count of how many times we pass one and have to turn around. Thanks to Phil and Cathy for there resolve in oranizing another trip.

Cheers

Blacravin

Edited by blacravin

Quick question. We are planning on trying for Mountain Marsh for our 300th find (currently 291). How close can a normal passenger car get to the cache versus a 4 wheel drive vehicle? We have not been out to that area of the state before, and I have no idea of the conditions of the roads.

Any other sugestions on things to take to make this a successful hunt?

Thanks

JimT

Terrible Ts

Quick question. We are planning on trying for Mountain Marsh for our 300th find (currently 291). How close can a normal passenger car get to the cache versus a 4 wheel drive vehicle? We have not been out to that area of the state before, and I have no idea of the conditions of the roads.

Any other sugestions on things to take to make this a successful hunt?

Thanks

JimT

Terrible Ts

It's almost a drive-up with paved road all the way. There's a pull-out East of the cache location where you can park. Best way to access is to walk up to the road from where you park, and follow the road West until you cross over the culvert that the creek goes through. Than you'll have a nice flat walk all the way in to the cache. Don't miss seeing all of the wild strawberries blooming underfoot!

Best way to access is to walk up to the road from where you park...

Aww, you spoiled all the fun of crossing the creek. :yikes:

Even with the spoilers, we had to try the direct method first. Nice little walk through the woods. What's that I hear? It must be the wind in the trees. It's getting louder. Not THAT much wind blowing today. Oh shoot. Here we are 60 feet from our goal and what do we find? A fast moving, wide, cold looking (what does cold look like), noisy river of destruction. My son suggest we pole vault over the stream. I don't think so. :angry: My wife say, lets head back to the car and find another way in. Ah, the smart idea.

We head back and start walking down the road looking for the culvert. There's that noise again. Ah, we found the culvert. A little ways farther and, Hmm, this looks like a good way in. Off we go.

As we get closer to the cache we start hearing that noise again. Thankfully we are on the correct side this time. A quick look around and # 300 is in our hands!!!!!! :grin:

Check out the pictures we posted with our log entry.

Thanks for all the help.

JimT

Terrible Ts

Left my home in Bremerton at 0600 arriving at Ajetpilots home at 0630. Thanks to Bruce's planning and GPS routing we had the cache in hand at 1020. Parked at the right place and heard the running water. It is easier to hear it than to see it. We did go down the correct side of the stream and I spotted the cache 15 feet away. A thrill to see the word STASH and read the original log book. I am glad Bruce picked this cache for us to find our 900 th cache. The skeeters let us know it was time to leave so we arrived back in Cougar where we had a very nice lunch at a very nice resturant. Bruce has posted some coordinates and pictures on the cache page. Dick, W7WT