Mountain Marsh

Prying Pandora

Done by lunchtime? No way. I count 21 caches (including MM) that we can easily get before dinnertime in Castle Rock. And plenty more if we are running ahead of time.

Yah, I know. :mad: Again, it's Monday and I'm at work ;)

Kiersolvd, my man...yes it is Monday, but we're not doing it today...

And June 4th is NOT a Monday, it's a Saturday...July 4th is, but that's not when we are going. :):D

Done by lunchtime? No way. I count 21 caches (including MM) that we can easily get before dinnertime in Castle Rock. And plenty more if we are running ahead of time.

Yah, I know. ;) Again, it's Monday and I'm at work :mad:

Kiersolvd, my man...yes it is Monday, but we're not doing it today...

And June 4th is NOT a Monday, it's a Saturday...July 4th is, but that's not when we are going. :):D

That'll team me to respond on a Monday whilst at work. I'm following Land Rover under the rock now :D

Well it looks like I'm in for that date. I may have my kids and my dad(Steamboat) will be making another attempt to come. :mad: I still think I will be set (sorry know I will be set for 1000) by then. Looking forward to it. would love to meet the group again at the P&R if that going to happen.

Must be getting cozy under that rock...    :lol:

It's a big rock and if we squeeze together real tight there might even be enough room for you smart a**. :):)

Back under I go ;)

ROFL!!! You guys are too much. And the new avatar, LR.... :):):)

Can't wait for our road trip!

I'm briefly poking up out from under the rock to ask an innocent question. Stump's laid out a caching route which looks great! It follows I5 back up north to Castle Rock on the Washington side of the border. Having not cached down that way, is there an advantage to returning back up I5 as opposed to crossing the Columbia and coming back through Oregon? Back under the rock to duck again. :anibad:

Edited by Kiersolvd
It follows I5 back up north to Castle Rock on the Washington side of the border. Having not cached down that way, is there an advantage to returning back up I5 as opposed to crossing the Columbia and coming back through Oregon? Back under the rock to duck again. :rolleyes:

Well, the big disadvantage is that there are no bridges across the Columbia between Vancouver and Longview. So the only way to go up through Oregon would be to go South 22 miles and then take Hwy 30 back up to Longview.

A beautiful trip on a clear day when you can see all four mountains at once. But probably not what people want to do that day.

It takes about 2 hours to get from Woodland (I5 exit to Mountain Marsh) to Castle Rock (dinner) via Oregon. If people want to do that there are plenty of caches to grab along the way. Even a nice nude beach if we want to entice nudecacher to come along. :rolleyes:

Sorry a little off topic but... what did you use to create the panaramic shot?

A camera :unsure:

I took a bunch of photos from the same height and then spliced them all together with Paint Shop Pro. It has a nice layer feature where you can match pictures together where they overlap.

LittleBlue...you're more than welcome to join me if you'd like. I've got a Jeep that can pretty much go anywhere (except of course, to where we needed to be last time! :unsure: ). I'll be leaving from Auburn, heading up Hwy 18 to I-5 in Federal Way, and then heading south from there. I'm not sure where you're at, but I'd be happy to meet up with you somewhere (my place, somewhere along the way, or whatever?).

I don't think we've set up the carpools yet...except that crazy van group... :unsure:

We probably need to wait until next week to see who's left that wants to go.

Having said that, as far as I know I'm driving this time. I can pick you up on my way through, LittleBlue. When we get to the pooling spot, you can choose who you want to continue with. I know you want to go with P&C when we get that far south.

I don't think we've set up the carpools yet...except that crazy van group... :laughing:

We probably need to wait until next week to see who's left that wants to go.

Having said that, as far as I know I'm driving this time. I can pick you up on my way through, LittleBlue. When we get to the pooling spot, you can choose who you want to continue with. I know you want to go with P&C when we get that far south.

Hey Allanon - If you're looking for a co-pilot or just someone else to split gas money with I'd like to join you.

I've been debating the wisdom/folly of seeking out Wading for June while we are at Mountain Marsh. It is a very old cache with few finds. There will be a little bit of physical challenge at the end, but nothing like we encountered at Steve's Secret Stash. I asked the most recent finder, The Jester, what it would be like for us, and he had this to say:

It's a very indistinct trail (it starts well) that goes around the north side of the lake.  It can be very muddy, especially by the two little waterfalls.  I didn't have to actually wade but a place or two at the beginning was close.  It gets pretty steep near the end (going down) and the growth was obscuring it even more.  There isn't much room for many to hunt at the same time.  DO NOT attempt to exit around the southside!  Unless you like devils club, scrambling and jumping streams (big, deep streams).

Blooming Idiot decided not to go around the lake and waited where we met the lake.  And that may be the best place for those who don't want to do it to wait; you can watch everyone doing it.  Or wander around the area, there is a nice view of the mountain.  It's a little over a mile into the lake on a good trail with mild elevation gain.  Add a quarter mile if you don't have a Forest Pass

I hate to miss the opportunity, so I propose that we go for it and let those who wish to, remain at the lake as the Jester suggests and enjoy watching our foibles at the final approach.

Opinions, anyone?

You might call and ask about the June Lake trail Mt. St. Helens Monument Headquarters 360-449-7800. When the menu comes up push O for Operator.

This will give you the very nice helpful gal at the front desk. Ask a question and if she doesn't know off she goes down the hall to the person that would have that information.

Also you might want to keep an eye on the Current Update of the U.S. Geological Survey, Vancouver, Washington.

Loren :)

did the June box a few years ago....definitely a must do! Didn't realize I was the third finder...even beat Explosis to it :-) Haven't heard much about taht early legend lately.

Did teh lava box too. Fun area to hike around in. If got little ones with you, keep an eye on 'em. Some cliffish regions nearby.

Edited by evergreenhiker!

Maybe those are from Groundspeak's Pocket Caches that are not supposed to be shared, but one can't make the list from a pocket server.

I could make one, but making one is easy: just edit any gpx file saving the headers, and put the caches you want in it. then save it as a gpx file.

And if you want headers that don't have Groundspeak's no sharing agreement, I will be glad to give you one.

I make my own GPXs all the time.

Give me a list of the "GCxxxx" numbers......I'll make a "gpx" file which I will share.

However, someone DOES owe me a beer though.

As "AnalogDog" says, its not hard to do......just save each cache separately....open the 1st one, then merge the rest into a common file. Open it up with whatever, and dump it into the GPSr.

Go JayBee

Here's a Bookmark list for the caches on Stump's route plus Cave Cache which was discussed above.

It does not have the Pizza place at the end though (which should actually be the location coords for the event, if you ask me and no one did).

I agree Allanon, and thanx for the bookmark list (very nice of you)....

I vagely remember doing at least 12 of those caches last weekend during the "geofour event"...

I'll have to talk with Nomadic Man.........he can probably come up with a few to add to the list if no one objects.

Go JayBee

I really want to try to make this event.  I've already done MM, but thats beside the point.... it sounds like a lot of fun.

However.... after my recent accident at Boulder River, I dont think I can drive that far.  Anyone in the north end have room for a cripple?

If you can drive as far south as Federal Way I am still looking for passanges to ride in the Land Rover.

For anyone else the first three to ask are in.

There was a little discussion of some folks wanting a gpx file made for the trip, and I am a willing sucker to build it up and make it available. I will make it from loc files, so it should be compatible with Jeremy's concerns about sharing GC gpx files.

I can't find a list of caches that are planned. The pdf that was put together of the route does not share the names or the waypoint in anyway I want to deal with it. Does someone have a list that they can provide to me?

Thanks,

Rob

There was a little discussion of some folks wanting a gpx file made for the trip, and I am a willing sucker to build it up and make it available. I will make it from loc files, so it should be compatible with Jeremy's concerns about sharing GC gpx files.

I can't find a list of caches that are planned. The pdf that was put together of the route does not share the names or the waypoint in anyway I want to deal with it. Does someone have a list that they can provide to me?

Thanks,

Rob

Look up a few posts. Allanon has a post with a link to one of his bookmarks.

Look up a few posts.  Allanon has a post with a link to one of his bookmarks.

Thanks for the note, I found all the pages. I have downloaded all the locs for the creation of a gpx for the trip. I will also do a master.gpx from all the gpxs for members. But I will have to verify that you are to keep from breaking the rules.

Who's going to want a copy?

Edited by AnalogDog