Mountain Marsh

Prying Pandora

OK, it looks like the road to Mountain Marsh is opening today! The latest info from the USDA Forest Service can be found here. Somebody stop me right now if I'm reading this map wrong, :huh: but it looks like it's open all the way we need to go!

So who's up for a second group assault? And which is the best weekend for everyone?

There are a number of upcoming events that we wouldn't want to conflict with:

May 14 Ridin the Iron Horse II

May 21 or 28 Boulder River Trail Hike

June 11 Expedition to the Elusive Island in Lake Ballinger

June 18 Bremerton Cache Machine

That leaves lonely little June 4. If the Boulder River trail hike ends up being on May 21, that will open up May 28 as well.

So how do those dates look for everyone?

I am interested. So, with a gang heading down, are we going to cache madly on the way back? I would really like to pick up some of the I5 caches, and esp the Mima Mounds Earth Cache.

Getting one of the older caches sounds like fun, but for all that time in the car, and all that gas burned, I would sure like a longer list.

I was thinking I'd post another event similar to our 1K event. We can cache our way back to Longview or Castle Rock afterward, then gather at a pizza restaurant for dinner where we can either toast our success or cry in our beer.

We ought to be able to log a lot more caches after GC8 because we won't be repeating this adventure either! :ph34r:

C. C. Bigfoot Hide-A-Cache and Wading for June are both near Mountain Marsh and should be accessible now.

Mima Mounds is considerably farther North, but if the group wants to do that afterward, we can adjust our agenda accordingly.

Edited by Phil & Cathy

Oh yeah, I'm in - can't wait to spend a few more hours off-roading with you lot! :ph34r: But please, somebody gag LandRover this time before he lures us astray with more clever cache ideas. :ph34r:

P.S. Yesterday I found GC25, Camels Prairie Stash - Idaho's oldest cache and Moun10Bike's first hide back in June 2000! I wasn't able to make it my 1000, as originally intended, but it was still a great find (snow closure meant we hiked the final 1/2 mile straight uphill - sound familiar?) for #1017.

Hey cool...color me there! Reino can't make it that day and my dad won't be visiting this time, so I'll have some room if anyone wants to hop in the Jeep with me. I can even put the back seat back in and take another person.

Or I'd also be just as happy being a passenger if someone else has an opening. :ph34r:

Well, June 4 seems to be the overwhelming favorite!

Should we save Mima Mounds for another day? There are more than enough caches between Mountain Marsh and Castle Rock to keep us busy until dinnertime, and Mima Mounds is a good 60 miles North of the St. Helens turnoff in Woodland.

So what do y'all think about Mima Mounds? Drive up to it after GC8, or save it for another trip?

I only brought up Mima Mounds as it stands out as a spot I would like to go to, and because its the only EarthCache in Western Washington.

I see now where it is further off I-5 than I thought, and that there are loads of other caches we can log. I'm willing to say that we can skip it, but then again, maybe the group can just regroup with some going to Mima Mounds and the rest heading towards home.

Rob

I did the Mima Mounds at the Brown Bag Event the day after Doing the 1k with P&K. If all you really want to do is get credit for an Earth Cache it can easily be done in about 30 minutes from leaving I-5 to getting back on I-5 but I think that to really experience the Mima Mounds you will want to spend at least an hour exporing the area.

IMHO save this one for a day when you have the time to really visit the area.

I'll climb back under my rock now and be quiet. B)

I agree with LandRover. There are plenty of caches in the area, of many types, so it's worth doing well rather than just a quickie stop. But I'd really suggest you do it when the wildflowers are blooming. Probably sometime before July.

I haven't actually done it myself :) (yet!) but I've heard many good things about The Green Beret Hide Site (What, are you scared??) . It's near Mima Mounds and will take you a little while to get but if you want a challenge this could be fun for you.

Turns out our plans have changed and I can make this second assault.

Edited by Stump

One more question. You've all been to Mario's in Longview, so we know what that's like. Originally we were going to Papa Pete's in Castle Rock for our 1K event, but had to find somewhere else because someone had booked the entire restaurant that night. Shall we try for Papa Pete's again? A little bird told me that they have a nice extra eating area and a very tempting menu as well!

So let's hear it! Mario's in Longview? Or Papa Pete's in Castle Rock?

Edited by Phil & Cathy
One more question. You've all been to Mario's in Longview, so we know what that's like. Originally we were going to Papa Pete's in Castle Rock for our 1K event, but had to find somewhere else because someone had booked the entire restaurant that night. Shall we try for Papa Pete's again? A little bird told me that they have a nice extra eating area and a very tempting menu as well!

So let's hear it! Mario's in Longview? Or Papa Pete's in Castle Rock?

I think we should do due diligence and taste-test all eating establishments in the area. :unsure: So, one vote for Papa Pete's.

we are trying to get things together for the 4th so as of right now we will be there. can't wait to finally get this one. and thanks for the last trip. we had such a great time with the crew. and the little one is still running around here talking about "my guys".he misses everybody.

As co- owner of Mt. St. Helens - As Seen On TV let me just add a couple comments. A couple recent finds and DNF have whined about the difficulty of finding the right road to the Cache. When my son and I made this Cache he put the Cord. for suggested parking thing that would be enough.

I realize you guys are a bunch of old hands at sniffing out the right way, HOWEVER!!! LOL I did see your last "Assault" play out. I'd hate to see you guys be slowed down.

I don't want to give any spoilers. BUT I'd be willing to post or email those that want directions from say Cougar or Jacks Restaurant to the beginning of the Right Road.

Yes the Cache is just south of Lake Merwin. BUT can you get there from.........

Loren :unsure:

So when you all do these together do you go as a group to find the specific cache or do you go in individual groups and take turns etc? How do these work?

Depends on the 'group'.

Sometimes the first person to find it calls out "got it" or something similar.

Most times, though, a finder will locate the likely spot (or actually see a cache) and then move off and wait for the rest of the group to do the same.

For really big groups (more than 15, say), the group will split into 2 or more smaller groups and while one waits at a respectable distance the other finds...and then they switch.

It all depends on the 'group dynamic'.

Come on down, we'll take you with us sometime and show you in person. :unsure:

So let's hear it!  Mario's in Longview?  Or Papa Pete's in Castle Rock?

It seems to me that if we start searching for MM early enough, we could do lunch at Papa Pete's. The Bellevue carpool left at 7 and, with cache stops, easily got to the redevous point by 10. I can easily leave a couple hours earlier :mad: if needed. ;) ???

-----------------------------

13:15 - Scratch that comment about Papa Pete's. It's Monday and I'm at work :) and not near a map. I was recalling a restaurant in Cougar and thought someone said that was the original location for the first event's dinner. It would be tough to get back out to Castle Rock for lunch.

Edited by Kiersolvd
The Bellevue carpool left at 7 and, with cache stops, easily got to the redevous point by 10.  I can easily leave a couple hours earlier  :mad:  if needed.  ;) ???

Well, you just go right ahead with that plan. :D I ain't meeting nobody nowhere at 5 am. :)

But speaking of the Bellevue carpool, we had a great vanpool last time. Should the six of us try for round 2? Marcus, you coming with the van? k7-wave, blackravin, kiersolvd, andrewrj - y'all on board? Same time, same park 'n ride, different date? [7 am, exit 9 on 405]

But speaking of the Bellevue carpool, we had a great vanpool last time. Should the six of us try for round 2? Marcus, you coming with the van? k7-wave, blackravin, kiersolvd, andrewrj - y'all on board? Same time, same park 'n ride, different date? [7 am, exit 9 on 405]

I'm up for a carpool! Depending on who all might meet there 'cause there's bound to be additions, I could drive my Jeep GC. It has room for three passengers comfortably, or could squeeze in a fourth into the middle seat. :mad: Either way, the last group was a blast.

It seems to me that if we start searching for MM early enough, we could do lunch at Papa Pete's. The Bellevue carpool left at 7 and, with cache stops, easily got to the redevous point by 10. I can easily leave a couple hours earlier ;) if needed. :mad: ???

Done by lunchtime? No way. I count 21 caches (including MM) that we can easily get before dinnertime in Castle Rock. And plenty more if we are running ahead of time.

We just need to make sure everyone is ready to repeat the following phrase:

"No, LandRover, that's NOT a good idea." :)

How come everyones picking on me??? :mad:

Oh............ I remember now........... :D

Back under my rock I go ;)

Hey Land Rover

Just so you feel a little better I had a blow out heading down I-90 las wednesday. I had a flat in less then 100 feet at 70 miles an hour. Turns out I ran over something like a razor blade, it put an inch gash straight through the tred of my new tire. :) I have to go and get it fixed soon, luckily I bought the warranty when I bought the new set (I drive a little rough in my car too).