Lowrance Users

There is a small, but vocal group of Lowrance users here and after reading some posts and doing a bit of research, the Lowrance units piqued my interest.

I was able to obtain an iFinder H20 and an iFinder GO2 on loan from Lowrance (very nice people) so I can review them for Todays Cacher. I've had the units for a total of 6 hours so far and find them to be both interesting, yet frustrating. Some functions are very intuitive, yet other basic ones aren't. I'm starting out like most people would - without reading the manual, but I plan to study it tomorrow.

Can you Lowrancees out there fill me in on any unique or useful functions that these units may have. I know that I still discover things about my own units many months (and sometimes years) after I start using them, so I want to make sure there aren't things I'm missing about these nifty devices.

The H20 is loaded with Lowrance's topo mapping software and the GO2 has the base map

not a lowrancee here but range rings (ifinder, ifinder pro) are an interesting feature. as is the ability to drop an icon instead of a waypoint.

i always found the way the highlight works when selecting options in the menus to be somewhat... reverse of what i would expect...

have fun with the review!

Well, I actually just purchased an Airmap 500. Its basically the iFinder with the ability to switch over to aviation stuff (I am a pilot and needed this).

But when in land mode, it works well. I am taking out on its first cache find tomorrow. Up till now I've been using a Garmin eTrex Vista.

From what I have done with it, it seems just as easy to use as the Garmin.....well, perhaps not as easy in that its not really a graphical interface. The Garmins use icons and graphics to make it idiot proof. The Lowrance is more like the old DOS vs. Windows (being the Garmin).

Once you figure it out though, it does the same stuff, works the same way, and is typically a boat load cheaper than the Garmin's, with the same quality.

Where do I start...

Lowrance makes a seriously good GPS for one. :huh:

As for unique features, Lowrance has a couple that are definitely a company trademark. One of them is the track smoothing feature. By default it is on from the factory, although you can turn it off (which I do) and it increases the sensitivity of the GPS (and I mean much more sensitive). The only downside is that the compass wanders in circles when you are standing still. This doesnt bother me though because it picks up literally within about a 1/2 foot movement of your arm. It basically works by cutting off really low speed movements and "pinning" the receiver into place when youre stopped. Try it out, its actually really cool!

The other Lowrance feature I think is totally cool is the multiple power saving/update rate modes. You can adjust the update rate at intervals of: 1 second w/WAAS, 1 second 300ms (no WAAS), 1 second 200 ms, 2 seconds, 5 seconds, and 10 seconds. Im usually on 2 seconds. Good enuf.

Other little things that Lowrance has unique is a course arrow on the NAV page with a bearing pointer that rotates around it. I thought it was kind of confusing at first, but it actually works pretty well. They also have 'Force WAAS', and 'WAAS alarm' functions. Force WAAs basically disables navigation unless WAAS is locked on. WAAS alarm triggers an alarm if WAAS is locked on or lost.

Oh yeah, besides the cool features, the ifinders also have some of the best antennas Ive ever used! No kidding, they are seriously good. They also lock on incredibly quick.

I could seriously go on and on about them, but youll only know until you try them for yourself... :huh:

Have fun man.

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000

I think it means that if you are loaded up with cache waypoints, it will help to declutter your screen by clearing the map of all the waypoint icons....but leaving the names.

I am not sure of this, though.

I turn off all of my waypoints so the map is as clean as possible.

as is the ability to drop an icon instead of a waypoint.
What does that mean?

The information stored for an ICON has only Lat, Lon, and a Symbol.

A WAYPOINT has all this, plus Altitude, Wp Name, and Creation Time.

Also, you can navigate to a Waypoint, but not an Icon.

Since the firmware allows for the mass deletion of all waypoints or icons,

they're handy for setting temporary icons on the Map Screen along your way to a site.

This way when you are done you can retain all your geocache waypoints, but easily delete all temporary position icons.

To create an icon, press and hold the Ent button.

When the pop-up changes to Save Icon, release and then select a symbol. :huh:

>Edited grammar for clarification

Edited by reidster
Can you  Lowrancees out there fill me in on any unique or useful  functions that these units may have.

As Vlad mentioned, the Range Rings on the Map Screen are really cool and useful.

FWIW, this screen also zooms in to a true 100-foot display.

Another oddly unique feature is the function of the Exit button when viewing the Map Screen.

It will alternate the display between your current position and the last place where you positioned the cursor.

At first I didn't see the point for this, but with street maps loaded it's been very helpful while navigating to a site.

For those of us with no short-term memory, it's handy to instantly recall what streets I should be looking for.

Also, pressing it three times, or four if the crosshairs are visible, pops-up a speedometer.

This feature is undocumented (read unsupported). Pressing the Zin and Zout buttons will scale it from 10mph to 300mph.

Another undocumented feature is the complete satellite status display.

While viewing the Satellite Status Screen, press the Down Arrow button three times.

Here you'll see each satellite's PRN number, elevation, azimuth, signal strength, and CNO.

Pressing the Down Arrow button now will alternate these displays.

Some functions are very intuitive, yet other basic ones  aren't.  I'm starting out like most people would - without reading the manual, but I plan to study it tomorrow.

Welcome to the dark side of the iFinder. There's no denying that in Advanced Mode the features/menus are somewhat baffling. Every owner experiences this angst after they make the switch. The added functions are so numerous I wish there was a website style Site Map screen. (Lowrance if you're listening, put a complete menu tree in the manual!!!) The worst offenders are the GPS Setup, System Setup, and Utilities selections on the Main Menu screen. I love everything about my iFinder, except having to sort through these three sub-menus. Oy! Fortunately the functions and settings found within these are ones that are seldom used or changed after the initial setup.

But if you, or anybody else, need help just post your question (rant) here and the few, the proud, iFinder devotees that are here will be glad to assist.

I've been helping a cacher with downloading cache waypoints into his iFinder H20 and was surprised to find that all data transfer has to be done via the memory card and card reader. It seems an odd omission somewhat like not having the ability for direct transfer from a digital camera. As I understand it the serial interface cable is only good for NMEA and realtime naviagtion applications.

On the plus side the form factor is really pocket friendly and the replacable face plates are a good feature.

I really love the reaction speed of my iFinder Pro, which is I guess thanks to it's dual processors. Is that feature unique to Lowrance?

Also the "autozoom" feature I always thought was great! While "going to" a destination and watching the map screen the unit will automatially resize the image contents so that YOU and your DESTINATION are both visible on the screen at the highest possible resolution.

Also try out the waypoint averaging function you'll love it! Turning it on opens an empty box, into which a bunch of "dots" will appear over time as the GPSr continues to sample satellite fixes. Once you're happy with accuracy you can stop this feature.

More to come I'm sure.. lol. Yes especially in advanced mode there appears to be a TON of things to sift through. But you'll find out that all of it is handy & useful, not just eye candy :huh:

... was surprised to find that all data transfer has to be done via the memory card and card reader.  It seems an odd omission  somewhat like not having the ability for direct transfer from a digital camera..

Maybe, but if RS232 is the alternative... forget it! I'll take the 10 seconds of drudgery of replacing a memory card over that any day. I've never understood why no one in their right mind would buy a digital camera with an RS232 interface, but will buy a GPSr with it!?!

OTOH... Yes it would be a nice convenience if it had an onboard USB port. However, at what cost? I believe (and I'm probably wrong) the E400 and Legend C are the cheapest comparable units with USB, but they cost $75 to $100 more than an H2O.

I just got my ifinder pro a couple of days ago. So far I really like it. I don't have anything to compare it to as it's my first GPS. I have been playing with it and reading through the manuel. I'm thinking of just skipping the easy mode all together, no guts no glory! Now if I can figure out how to enter coordinates my wife and I will start caching.

I'm sure I'll have some questions and be posting them here and the yahoo ifinder group. Maybe one day I'll know enough to help someone else!

I did my first geocache with my Airmap 500 (Basically an aviation iFinder), and it worked like a champ. I like it much better than my etrex vista.

Also...for whats its worth, I took it for a flight today and it worked great. Navigated across the state and back again.

Went looking for a dairy queen, I just searched for it, and it popped one up a mere 1.8 miles away.

For all the uses that I use it for, it is perfect. I wish it also had turn by turn information, but its not a huge deal.

I love it!

briansnat,

I use the iFinder hunt with mapcreate.

I created a base map of Minnesota, Wisconsin, some of the Dakotas, some of Iowa, the UP and some of Ontario for about 110 mb ON A 256 mb SD. With the map saved on my computer I can add waypoints (caches) on the computer and rewrite the chip over and over as I do the caches I am interested in and add more.

With the crosshairs up bump exit and you see your position on a map. Scaling the map up or down a little will navigate you cache to cache across country on the smallest of roads, and the unit is light enough that you can use a postage stamp size piece of velcro to stick it within reach on the dash.

I have a GO also. Basic mapping, unbelievable battery life, sixteen channels, WAAS. $70. The accuracy is equal. the downside for it is that after periods of non-use it takes too long to acquire a position. It also has just bang locked up on me. No more working, no more position updates, can't change screens, can't turn it off, the only thing that gets it back into use is pulling a battery and replacing it. I have experienced this three or four times, and think it may be related to the unit's small size and resultant proximity of the buttons. Even with that problem I like it a lot better than my Garmins or the Magellans I've tried.

From a retailers web site

Map download requires use of an LEI branded memory card reader/writer.

Has anyone tested this? If it's required for maps can other brands of card reader/writers be used for transfering othertypes of data (waypoints, etc.)

Has anyone tested this? If it's required for maps can other brands of card reader/writers be used for transfering othertypes of data (waypoints, etc.)

I think that "used to be true" with an earlier/older firmware release. I use a generic card reader with my iFinder Pro and it works no problem.

Yes, you need LEI-branded card reader for maps building/downloading if you have MapCreate 6.3 (current version). If you have MapCreate 6.2 or early you could use any card reader.

For trails (tracks)/ waypoints transfer you could use any card reader.

Thanks Hoary. Another question for you about this notice on a retailers site

For security purposes, MapCreate™ Canada 6.3 encodes maps to memory cards, and will restrict the encoding process to a maximum of five different memory cards. You can create as many maps as you like, but they will only work on the first five memory cards that you register with the MapCreate Canada 6.3 software.

Does this mean that you're limited to five downloads of the maps or are multiple downloads(more than five) allowed as long as it's to the same five cards? For example if one card is used can maps be erased and new maps written to the same card more than five times?

For security purposes, MapCreate™ Canada 6.3 encodes maps to memory cards, and will restrict the encoding process to a maximum of five different memory cards. You can create as many maps as you like, but they will only work on the first five memory cards that you register with the MapCreate Canada 6.3 software.

Does this mean that you're limited to five downloads of the maps or are multiple downloads(more than five) allowed as long as it's to the same five cards? For example if one card is used can maps be erased and new maps written to the same card more than five times?

You could use one card as many times as you need to build as many maps as you want. Up to five cards could be registered with MapCreate.

In order for MapCreate to build custom map (and it's only way to get map for your GPSr) you have to have memory card in card reader and this card should be registered with MapCreate (it will ask you to do so). When map is built MapCreate puts it on that memory card and if you would like to have a copy of that map on your hard drive you can copy it. But if you try to use this custom map with different memory card - it won't work, only on card it was built with.

Why you have to use LEI-branded card reader? IMHO, not all card readers are the same. Some of them couldn't access low-level hardware information (on memory card) MapCreate uses to encrypt maps. To ensure this will work Lowrance restricted MapCreate to work only with LEI-branded card reader (and driver).

Edited by Hoary
Why you have to use LEI-branded card reader? IMHO, not all card readers are the same. Some of them couldn't access low-level hardware information (on memory card) MapCreate uses to encrypt maps. To ensure this will work Lowrance restricted MapCreate to work only with LEI-branded card reader (and driver).

I thought all along that this was an antipiracy thing sorta like the old "dongles" that used to come with some software.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. I'm helping another cacher that has a new iFinder H20 and as I'm a Garmin user this aspect is new to me. I guess it would not be a good idea to reformat any card that has had a map encoded on it?

Also, is it possible to put multiple map sets on one card at the same time?

I thought all along that this was an antipiracy thing sorta like the old "dongles" that used to come with some software.

Sorta. In this case card is actual "dongle" and card reader - tool to access information on that "dongle"

Thanks for the answers to my questions. I'm helping another cacher that has a new iFinder H20 and as I'm a Garmin user this aspect is new to me.

You welcome! As for Garmin, they use different way to achive the same goal - "unlock code", and, AFAIK, bind it to unit's serial number. Mapsource CitySelect/Citi Navigator could be unlock for two units only. If you used one "unlock code" and lost or destroyed your GPSr you have only one left and no way you could restore another one (correct me if I'm wrong). In this respect Lowrance's protection scheme works better for customer. You could use one copy of MapCreate on up to five memory cards (=five units) and in worth case you could clear all registered cards and start all over again.

I guess it would not be a good idea to reformat any card that has had a map encoded on it?

I think (however, not 100% sure) they use something like memory card serial number and formatting that card shouldn't change it. But again, you could clear registered cards and start all over.

Also, is it possible to put multiple map sets on one card at the same time?

Yes, and they could overlap. Only limitation I know is 32 files per card and it includes .usr files (files with waypoints, trails). At least it's true for original iFinder and I don't think anything changed for H2O. I haven't checked it yet. But you don't have any limitations in map file size.

You welcome! As for Garmin, they use different way to achive the same goal - "unlock code", and, AFAIK, bind it to unit's serial number. Mapsource CitySelect/Citi Navigator could be unlock for two units only. If you used one "unlock code" and lost or destroyed your GPSr you have only one left and no way you could restore another one (correct me if I'm wrong). In this respect Lowrance's protection scheme works better for customer. You could use one copy of MapCreate on up to five memory cards (=five units)

Actually I have MapSource TopoCanada which is not locked at all which is even better :unsure:

and in worth case you could clear all registered cards and start all over again.

How do you do this?

I have an iFinder PHD. Although it comes with a 124 manual, it is sorely lacking in information. Many features are only mentioned so far as that they exist, some are not mentioned at all - which of course means they don't tell you how to use them! So it is mostly trial and error to figure out what you can do with it on each screen.

I would definately like to see an updated manual or even instructional video that goes over EVERYTHING. They have to assume that NOT everyone is "upgrading" to this model.

The pizeo is too quiet - even when turned all the way up normal road noise completely covers it. The microphone needs a sensitivty adjustment as well - got to hold the unit a half inch from my mouth and yell to get a .wav file that you can actually hear.

I could suggest some improvements in the Mapcreate Software and the interface with the unit as well.

Haven't played around with the 5 card limit thing (I only have 2 so far) or using another reader than the one provided, but I will soon. As I understand it, the 5 card limit is only for UPLOADING maps from the software. You can save your reciever data on many cards as you want.

I will be playing with this as soon as the new PC gets here - I post on it latter.

You welcome! As for Garmin, they use different way to achive the same goal - "unlock code", and, AFAIK, bind it to unit's serial number. Mapsource CitySelect/Citi Navigator could be unlock for two units only. If you used one "unlock code" and lost or destroyed your GPSr you have only one left and no way you could restore another one (correct me if I'm wrong). In this respect Lowrance's protection scheme works better for customer. You could use one copy of MapCreate on up to five memory cards (=five units)

Actually I have MapSource TopoCanada which is not locked at all which is even better :unsure:

You all set for now, but it's a common trend for the future. Lowrance released MapCreate 6.3 in 2004 and I think next Garmin Topo will be copy-protected as well (and I don't think that protection will be as liberal as Lowrance's).

and in worth case you could clear all registered cards and start all over again.

How do you do this?

I have to check some stuff before I say it.

How do you do this?

The reason I asked is because of this quote from the MapCreate 6 manual:

Limited Number of Cards

All MapCreate users are limited to saving maps on a maximum of five

different memory cards. MapCreate tracks the number and identity of

your cards by "registering" each card with the program. The software

needed to register cards will not work with third-party card readers, so

MapCreate will only work with the card reader from LEI. Once you

have registered a card, it can never be unregistered and its place exchanged

with another card.

The reason I asked is because of this quote from the MapCreate 6 manual:

Limited Number of Cards

All MapCreate users are limited to saving maps on a maximum of five

different memory cards. MapCreate tracks the number and identity of

your cards by "registering" each card with the program. The software

needed to register cards will not work with third-party card readers, so

MapCreate will only work with the card reader from LEI. Once you

have registered a card, it can never be unregistered and its place exchanged

with another card.

OK. I'll say it before I check it.

First option - it's a long way out. If re-installing MapCreate won't help, OS could be re-installed. This will clear all cards. Again, it's a long way out, but it will work.

Second option - I have to check. Lowrance has an utility on their ftp site "OneTimeSerialPurge.exe". When you run it there are only two buttons on small window: "Clear All Registered Cards" and "OK". Header of the window says "OneTimeReset" which could mean "You can do it only once".

But again, as long as it on you local PC and does not require registration or activation somewhere outside your PC, the problem could be resolved locally.

Second option - I have to check. Lowrance has an utility on their ftp site "OneTimeSerialPurge.exe". When you run it there are only two buttons on small window: "Clear All Registered Cards" and "OK". Header of the window says "OneTimeReset" which could mean "You can do it only once".

Update on that. Yes, it works like I thought - allowes to clear all cards once. And if you try to run it again it says call Customer Service. But I was able to do it more than once.

Update on that. Yes, it works like I thought - allowes to clear all cards once. And if you try to run it again it says call Customer Service. But I was able to do it more than once.

1st question, can you post a link to the ftp of that file.

2nd, are you saying that you can reset the 5 card limit on the ifinder?

thanks

Can you  Lowrancees out there fill me in on any unique or useful  functions that these units may have.

As Vlad mentioned, the Range Rings on the Map Screen are really cool and useful.

FWIW, this screen also zooms in to a true 100-foot display.

Another oddly unique feature is the function of the Exit button when viewing the Map Screen.

It will alternate the display between your current position and the last place where you positioned the cursor.

At first I didn't see the point for this, but with street maps loaded it's been very helpful while navigating to a site.

For those of us with no short-term memory, it's handy to instantly recall what streets I should be looking for.

Also, pressing it three times, or four if the crosshairs are visible, pops-up a speedometer.

This feature is undocumented (read unsupported). Pressing the Zin and Zout buttons will scale it from 10mph to 300mph.

Another undocumented feature is the complete satellite status display.

While viewing the Satellite Status Screen, press the Down Arrow button three times.

Here you'll see each satellite's PRN number, elevation, azimuth, signal strength, and CNO.

Pressing the Down Arrow button now will alternate these displays.

WoW! Totally cool undocumented features! If you or anyone else knows of others, please post them. I'm new to the Lowrance, have a phd, and absolutely love it! ;)

I don't think I can post it here. This ftp site doesn't have an anonymous access and require login and password, which I've got from Lowrance Cust. Service. You can call them or I can just send this tiny file (170 kb) to you by email.

thanks

I'm not sure I understand you question. You still have 5 cards limit, but, in case, you can clear all registered cards and start over. Once. If after that you want to do it again, you have to call Cust. Service.

The antenna & receiver on these iFinders are GREAT! :wub:

I just returned from a trip across the country. On the return leg I managed to get a window seat so was able to use my iFinder Pro to see where I was & "kill some time" lol

I had previously used an older GPSr (Magellan 315) on flights,, it took quite a while for the 315 to get enough satellite signals to aquire a position fix, and it was only able to give me a 2D position (no altitude). The iFinder Pro not only locked on real quick, but locked on to enough birds to get a true 3D fix. Keep in mind a GPSr cannot "see" through an airliners foselage, it's limited to that tiny view of the sky via the little windows. The Pro was able to tell me the plane's heading, speed and altitude while across the screen the country would scroll by. It was really neat to be able to see a city far below, and to know what city it was :(

Also, pressing EXIT three times, or four if the crosshairs are visible, pops-up a speedometer.

Dang, that speedometer function is gonna be like killer handy for me. I can't tell you how many times, I've been driving the bike, wondering exactly how fast I'm moving. Thanks!

Regards,

---- Robb ----

I don't think I can post it here. This ftp site doesn't have an anonymous access and require login and password, which I've got from Lowrance Cust. Service. You can call them or I can just send this tiny file (170 kb) to you by email.

thanks

I'm not sure I understand you question. You still have 5 cards limit, but, in case, you can clear all registered cards and start over. Once. If after that you want to do it again, you have to call Cust. Service.

I initially had some problems with my H20 and MapCreate. With the help of Lowrance support the problem was fixed by getting a new ScanDisk SD card. Support tried to send me the "Onetimeserialpurge.exe" file but both my email servers (Outlook and Lycos) blocked the attachment. Support never mentioned that the file could be downloaded from the ftp site.

I initially had some problems with my H20 and MapCreate.  With the help of Lowrance support the problem was fixed by getting a new ScanDisk SD card.  Support tried to send me the "Onetimeserialpurge.exe" file but both my email servers (Outlook and Lycos) blocked the attachment.  Support never mentioned that the file could be downloaded from the ftp site.

And they don't even think that it's possible to change a file extension to something like .sss and avoid that problem. Send me PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you that file if you want.

Oh, and for you fans that prefer your GPSr with color screens, check out the Lowrance PhDc  It's brand new :unsure:

ouch.. $500USD (about)..

looks like a nice unit. but a serious question, how many of you are listening to mp3 files while out caching? how many of you even know what ogg vorbis is? lol. besides playing music has to slow down the gps function.

they could drop the mp3-wanna be and shave $100 off the price of the unit.. plus the headphones and auto adapter (let me buy one if i want one). some more money saved. i hate unit convergence that makes no sense.

12 hrs battery life is a bit low too :-(

looks like a nice unit though. my first GPS was a lowrance eagle pro. was a pretty good unit for the time. held up 4 years or so until i replaced it with a garmin vista..

Edited by scottjl

I've been a Lowrance owner for a month or so and after a couple little problems with the MapCreate software and an SD card the unit wouldn't recongize I am well satisfied. The map transfer protocol is fine for me since I can save all the map I need on a 256 MB card. On the other hand, If I had my way I would really prefer a waypoint file transfer system which used a cable and USB connection to avoid the need to keep removing and reinstalling the SD card.

My previous unit was a Meridian Gold. I cached with it for over a year and was well satisfied. When the time came to consider a new GPS, after a little research I decided to go with a Lowrance H20 based on the good reviews, the customizable data options and particurarly the map detail. We shall see how I feel about it in a year or so. :unsure:

Also, pressing EXIT three times, or four if the crosshairs are visible, pops-up a speedometer.

Dang, that speedometer function is gonna be like killer handy for me. I can't tell you how many times, I've been driving the bike, wondering exactly how fast I'm moving. Thanks!

Regards,

---- Robb ----

Well, how's this for a bump. B) Just tried this on my AirMap 600c, and get the same thing. Nothing like buying a $500 bicycle speedometer ;)B):D

Z

Edit: Oh, the AirMap goes from 10-1500...guess those C-172's really move out B)

Edited by CO-Zman

The other Lowrance feature I think is totally cool is the multiple power saving/update rate modes. You can adjust the update rate at intervals of: 1 second w/WAAS, 1 second 300ms (no WAAS), 1 second 200 ms, 2 seconds, 5 seconds, and 10 seconds. Im usually on 2 seconds. Good enuf.

My new Expedition doesn't seem to have this feature.

I have an iFinder GO. So far it has been great. It gets a fix quickly, and I have never lost my signal even under heavy cover. I went to Lowrance.com and printed the full manual. That made using all the menus non-intimidating. The only drawback for me is the basemap's lack of physical features (like county roads and national forest roads). Don't get me wrong, it has lead me to every cache I've hunted, I just want a VERY detailed map. Right now I'm watching some used units on Ebay. If the price is right, soon I'll upgrade, but only to another Lowrance. :laughing:

I had the H2O until yesterday morning when I was the victim of a smash and grab. I am wondering if the remote antenna on my roof was a giveaway for the gps unit tucked away in the center console. Now I am considering upgrading but I will stick with Lowrance - I love the unit for its speed, accuracy and the fact that I have developed a familiarity with those confusing menus. Also, I still have the MapCreate software I bought with the H2O so I can avoid an additional expense by buying a compatible outfit. I am looking at the Expedition C - so if anyone has comments about that model, I would really appreciate some feedback. Carry On

I recommend iFinder GO and GO2 users to disregard the manual and turn off "Track Smoothing" whenever going inside tree cover. It performed reasonably well in tree cover recently, although it still has problems in redwood forests.

I like my unit, but wish the coordinates would settle quicker.