Garmin Legend C Vs Gpsmap 60c

I want a color unit.

Right now it's between ordering a Legend C or the gpsmap 60c

Here are the differences I see between the two.

Size, I like the smaller size of the Legend C.

Mapping memory, 8mb was ok in my old legend, so I should be happy with the Legend C or 60C for mapping memory.

Waypoint memory, I liked the 1000 waypoints on my old legend. I had about 400 used, but after I cleaned them up and just saved the ones I need for work I was only saving 240 waypoints, so I could get by with 500 waypoint memory, maybe..

It would still be nice to have 1000 waypoint memory.

I have a feeling garmin will update the color etrex like they did the old b/w ones to 1000 waypoints someday, but I could be wrong. :laughing:

Screen size??

Ant., From what I understand the Legend C has a patch ant and the 60c is better in tree cover. I live in North Eastern South Dakota, land of no tree's. :laughing: but at times I do get under some heavy tree cover on weekend trips.

Both are usb, run on AA batteries and can do auto routing with city select.

I'm I missing any difference between these two units?

Could someone post a side by side photo of the Legend C and 60C so I could compare the two.

I live in North Eastern South Dakota

Couldn't you fit "west" into that description somehow?

Don't have a comparison picture, but a few additional things to consider.

The 60c has a jack for an external antenna which can sometimes come in handy. It also has an RS-232 interface in addition to USB. Since Garmin doesn't support NMEA over USB there are some software programs and other applications that won't work with the LegendC or VistaC due to their lack of RS-232 & NMEA messages.

Also note that you'll want to include the routing data in your map downloads to these units. That makes the map regions about 50% larger in memory requirement compared to what you were used to with the regular Legend. The 24 MB of the LegendC can be used up in a hurry.

Very good points,

How about the geocaching modes?

Are they the same in each one?

I was watching gps.tv and they show the 60c as being able to load the hint right off the geocaching page.

They do not say anything about that on the geocaching function on the Legend C.

The 60C (and CS) has a Geocaching mode built in. A huge difference is the quad-heli antenna on the 60c (the large rubber looking protrusion) instead of the smaller internal antenna. This will give you better reception under tree cover, and inside a vehicle. I have a 60CS, and absolutely love it. I actually set out to buy the Legend C, but when I saw eveything the 60CS had to offer, I bought it instead.

The 60C (and CS) has a Geocaching mode built in.

Could you or someone else tell me the difference in the built in geocaching mode on the 60c and the geocaching mode on the Legend C?

I download the manual for both, but they don't say much about the geocaching mode.

From watching the clips on gps.tv it looks like the 60c geocaching mode my do more, like download the hints right from geocaching.com to the gps.

Does the Legend C download the hints too?

The 60C will give you slightly better reception, but not enough to make it a deal breaker. The eTrex line gets perfectly fine reception under the trees as long as you hold them flat, face up to the sky.

If you like the size and feel of the Legend C vs. the 60C, go for the Legend C. If you think the extra map memory in the 60C might be important for you go with the 60C.

They are both excellent units and you can't go wrong with either.

dont know about the new garmin legends, but I hated the old ones.

They feel fragile, and also had (have) durability issues and weak antennas. I know briansnat and I disagree here, but I beleive its because of our locations. I live where we have tall dense pine trees and mountains that cover part of the sky. The etrexes seriously dont cut it out here! I literally got no reception about 2/3 of the time when I used it a year ago hiking.

If you can spare a bit more change, i'd recommend going for the 60. If not for the better reception, the screen is larger and the unit doesnt feel fragile like the etrex does.

I have to add to all this that the external antenna port is fantastic. I usually get 8 to 10 bars up to at least a level four with the 60C in an open area. If I add the Gilson antenna ($20<---yup, only $20)I get 10 bars maxed out (5 bars) plus the two WAAS birds at 4 bars. My accuracy went down to 6 ft. Keep in mind this is in an open area. Under trees the exxternal antenna is a gods send.

I upgraded to the 60C as my eTrex just could not cut it in foliage, often times just losing reception altogether. The 60C in the same situation never lost a signal and with the external, gave me 18ft accuracy. Pretty sweet I think.

The 60 C will hold hints in the NOTES area, but you will need GSAK to pump out the file for it. Also the NOTE sectoin is not all that long, so if it is a long hint you will lose all but the first 6 to 10 words.

That is my perspective on the 60C.

mrking

EDIT:Spelling, always my dadgum spelling. :huh:

Edited by mrking

BTW the Legend C and the old black-and-white Legend have nothing in common except the similar name. The Legend C is a completely new unit. Therefore, unfavorable experience with the old Legend (reception problems, etc.) is completely irrelevant with regard to the Legend C. Satellite reception, in particular, is greatly improved in the color unit, relative to the b&w one.