Meridian vs Geko - Newb needs to know!!!

mcdog

Hey all. I am a total newbie to geocaching but i want to buy a good GPSr. I'm trying to decide between these two units:

1.Magellan Meridian Yellow...$119.00(after 50 rebate)(gpsonsale.com)

2.Garmin Geko 201...$119.00(amazon.com)

***Any advice or comments would be helpful, thanx

-mcdog

It is my understanding that the $50 rebate only applies to the base model Meridian if you also buy a map program from Magellan.

The green model is on sale this week at Fry's for $99.99. The green is the same unit as the yellow.

I have the green and have briefly handled the Geko 201 at the Garmin booth at a show. I would only consider the Geko if small size is the absolutely most important criteria. The Meridian is a full-featured GPSr that has the ability to take a SD memory card and mapping programs. You can also store different tracks and waypoint lists on the SD card. It comes with a computer cable.

The Meridian is the best value in the low priced GPSrs currently offered.

I have a Garmin Stret pilot and a Magellan Meridian Platinum. Perhaps it is comparing the proverbial apples and oranges, but I'll relate my experiences with these two top-of-the-line (or nearly so) units. Bear in mind that the Garmin is about 3 years old. This discourse is primarily a brand loyalty thing.

My Garmin is mounted to the dash and connected to an external *active* antenna. The Meridian does not have external antenna capability.

When I get in moderate tree cover, the Garmin is lost- even with the external antenna. This especially happens if I shut it down in a park. I have sometimes travelled several miles after restarting it before it got a "lock".

The Magellan gets good signal in the same area even when it is placed between the front seats.

Magellan advertises their "quadrifiliar" antenna as the best thing since sliced bread. I think they may be right, but it is not on their low-end models. I am flat amazed at how much better it works than the Garmin, even in the wide open spaces.

I am NOT a big fan of Garmin. I say go with the Magellan. But you might be well advised to go up just a little bit and get a model with the quadrifilir antenna.

(The magnetic compass is really neat for caching too- it's almost cheating LOL)

Hope this is helpful, but it might not apply on the low end.

I do like the Street pilot for its intended purpose (car navigation). The screen is big and the light is bright, so I think I'll keep it.

What do you call someone in the woods with a Garmin? (Especially an older one?).............LOST! ):

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

There's not a whole lot of practical difference between the patch and quad antennas. There are lots of threads on this subject, but most everyone who has seriously studied the subject agrees that there isn't much difference. A quad might be a little better under tree cover, a patch might be better in canyons (both natural and man-made). There seems to be no clear all-around winner. Each has it quirks, though. How you hold the units can make a big difference in performance.

As for restarting and going several miles before getting a lock, that might simply be the difference in processor speeds. Like you said, it's three years old. There have been a lot of inovations since then.

George

You may already know this but the Geko is not a mapping GPS. I owned an eTrex Venture which is only a step up from the yellow etrex and geko. I loved it and found quite a few caches with it to, but I was ready for maps within a week of my purchase. I held off for a year and bought a Garmin V, so far I love it.

I am not a personal fan of Magellan and honestly don't know much about them but if you could get something that handles maps for the same price as one that does not, you may be happier in the long run.

These low-end (green & yellow) Mags, can they handle street level detail or is the card just for POI's and such? Anyone?

Kar

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

I wanted to add one more thing...sorry if we are going OT

One of the main reasons for purchasing the V was not only maps, but because it had the quad antenna and handles an external antenna.

My external antenna along with most others is nothing more than an amplified patch antenna.

So I get the best of both, the patch which is excellent for road travel and the quad for the woods.

ah hem....it is a bit picky about the way you hold it though...

Kar icon_smile.gif

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

A lot depends on how you intend to use your GPS. One thing to keep in mind is that the Meridian has mapping capability, should you decide at some point in time to buy the software. Personally, I wouldn't recommend any of their software products at the moment, unless you get it for dirt cheap. Fortunately, the rumor is they should have some new stuff coming out in the near future.

If your primary use will be hiking a lot in the mountains, or looking to record the tracks of your trails, the small size and great track recording capabilility of the Geko would be a definate plus. It's probably a good choice if you want something to take to the parking lot to find your vehicle again latter as well. If you don't mind the bulk, and are going to be using the unit for fair bit of vehicle use, I'd think the Meridian would be the better choice.

I am under the same dilema...

The $50 rebate does apply to the Meridian if you buy a MapSend product - and gpsonsale.com is including the $29 basic Streets so that it qualifies. It is $109 after rebate if you buy the yellow and $119 after rebate if you buy the green - I emailed them on why, and they said it was because they have more of the yellow!

I had really liked the Geko 201 (of course, I've actually seen this one and have never seen the Meridian, which I think would help my decision) - but even though the price looks the same - remember you still have to buy the cable - and the cable is expensive (Even at under $20 on ebay).

Maps notwithstanding, if Garmin included the cable for the price, my decision would be much easier!

"I took the road less travelled by, and that has made all the difference"

The meridian comes with a data cable..but to really get the most use out of it, you should get a cardreader to put the maps on teh SD card. It's much faster. As for a comparison between the two, I don't believe the Geko even comes close to the Meridian. It seems to me that the Geko is trying to appeal to those looking for a toy, while the Meridian is much more of a tool...and a steal at 110 bucks.

-pizzachef

Hey pizzachef - where in La are you from?

So you think the $110 for the Meridian is good? I've just learned (from here) what the SD cards are (I was behind the times thinking they were like SmartMedia cards), but I already have a card reader/writer that I use with my SmartMedia cards for my camera - it works with SD cards also.

So I am looking at $109 for the basic Meridian yellow which comes with the cable and a basic streets CD. I might spend another $25 for a 32MB SD card - would this give me a good start?

I was really liking the Geko, but the price comparison with the Meridian doesn't make it too attractive.

"I took the road less travelled by, and that has made all the difference"

I own a Merigreen and just bought an etrex vista. I LOVE the Merigreen except for it's size. I've got a 128mb card in it and have Mapsend Topo. With that I can get all the mapping detail of the rest of the Meridian line. It's been pretty good on batteries and wonderful on reception. I haven't yet lost a signal, even under heavy tree cover. So far it's taken me within 3 feet of every cache I've found. The screen on it is nice and large as well and proves quite helpful when using it for vehicle navigation. I bought the Vista because I really wanted something smaller and liked some of it's extra features. So far tho the satellite reception can't even compare to the Merigreen.

--------------------------------

Magellan Meridian GPS

Handspring Visor Deluxe

L.O.S.T. - http://www.kjjeep.com

L.O.S.T.hoomdorm-

I have to ask...given that the position error of any consumer GPS receiver is much greater than 3 feet (often 10-15 feet or so), and that the person placing the caches doubles that error, how can you always get withing 3 feet?

I can see where you might occasionally be right on the dot, but to be consistantly find cacces within 3 feet seems impossible....even with WAAS.

George

quote:
Originally posted by L.O.S.T.hoomdorm:

Well, I'm not gonna complain. It hasn't led me astray yet icon_smile.gif

I'm quite confident with my Meridian Platinum, but seldom get 3' accuracy.

I have noticed that on the "left coast" of Indiana (Parke and Vermillion counties if you want to look it up on a map- don't know why you would) the accuracy is poorer and readings are more erratic than elsewhere in Indiana , Oh, and KY.

I am puzzled... terrain not much different, tree cover not much different, but sometimes I get a reading 100 MILES off for a few seconds. Happens more often on the Garmin than the Magellan, but has occured on both. With the Garmin, I sometimes have to power down and restart to get back where I am. This does not happen in a canyon or anything that might give a plausible explanation.

I have experienced occasional extremes of speed readings on my Garmin- usually in cities or near overpasses and such. My speed record is currently about 1400MPH. I can dismiss these as reflections, but I cannot explain the off the wall readings in the open.

Another cacher has reported similar anomolies in the Parke-Vermillion area, so I know its not just my equipment.

I wonder if there aren't some peculiarities in accuracy from region to region which might account for my observations as well as your INCREDIBLE accuracy?

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

I've only cached in SC & NC so those are the only states I can account for with mine. I'm kinda puzzled at the disbelief of the accuracy I get. Anyone who wants to come along with me see for themselves is more than welcome. We actually get a lot of cachers in the area on vacation. I've ran into two groups of them already.

--------------------------------

Magellan Meridian GPS / 128MB

Handspring Visor Deluxe

L.O.S.T. - http://www.kjjeep.com

http://www.darkglobe.com/geocache

quote:
L.O.S.T.hoomdorm said:

I'm kinda puzzled at the disbelief of the accuracy I get.

The reason for the disbelief is that most of us haven't experienced anything like that sort of accuracy, except on occasion. I took a friend out caching once, followed the GPS to the area I was going to start the search from, and proceeded to tell him this is the spot we would start our search from. He then asked me "what's wrong with the ammo box right by your foot?" (I was busy talking and not watching)

Most of the time though, the accuracy I get is quit a bit worse than that. This page on my webpage shows a very representative example of the sort of accuracy I've come to expect. In very flat clear areas, it's generally a little better, in mountain canyons, having no two waypoints be within 50 feet is sometimes the case.

http://home.sprynet.com/~searching_ut/cache_coordinates.htm

Your mileage may vary