Altitude

We don't enter anything for altitude.

What sort of inaccuracy are you getting as it is normal for the co-ords not to be spot on when caching due to many factors including tree cover, high buildings, number of satellite signals being recieved at time of hunt or placement of cache etc.

I'm sure the more learned guys on here will give an even better response than my feeble attempt :laughing::)

My Vista gives me attitude all the time, no matter what I enter.

Oh, altitude you say - it doesn't have a field for altitude on the waypoint entry boxes, but it does measure it. I've never calibrated it, despite living 6 miles from the coast so it would be easy. If I looked now, it would show me somewhat higher than Ben Nevis.

It hasn't affected me at all - my record speaks for itself - 190 finds and just 325 DNF's.

-kidding

I would say, in a manner totally devoid of expertise, that I wouldn't worry about it.

Adrian

It isn't necessary for caching because latitude and longitude is independent of altitude. You would have the same latitude and longitude from the earths surface straight up until such time as the gps could no longer receive the satellite signal. Of course as you get higher off the ground the latitude and longitude lines get farther apart.

It is possible for a cache to be near the foot, or at the edge of a cliff. Then GPS co-ord fudge can cause problems, because you might not know if you need to be at point X, or at point X, 200ft higher up. Helpfully, most cache setters aren't keen on having a fatality doing their cache, so if the description reads: "WARNING - The cache is next to a large drop, attempt with great caution, in good conditions, in daylight only" you can assume it's at the top.

However, this is a fairly unusual situation in caching - fortunately, I'd say. :laughing:

SP

It might be a good idea though. If the cache is halway up a large bank under heavy tree cover (can't be to many like this though :laughing: ) the approximate alltitude could be of help esp if you are at the bottom or top getting a clear signal. Can only think of one of mine this affects so may add it to the cache page.

Good idea in principle, but altitudes from GPSr's are notoriously innaccurate (seldom to within 30m). Add to this, if you are under heavy tree cover, it's going to be even worse! Adding altitude information may cause more problems than it solves...

Edited by CuplaKiwis
Good idea in principle, but altitudes from GPSr's are notoriously innaccurate (seldom to within 30m). Add to this, if you are under heavy tree cover, it's going to be even worse! Adding altitude information may cause more problems than it solves...

Agreed. Doing one of Dan & Pid's last year, which gave an altitude but was under trees and on a steep slope, it was wildly inaccurate. A clear clue beats an altitude every time!

SP :laughing:

Helpfully, most cache setters aren't keen on having a fatality doing their cache, so if the description reads: "WARNING - The cache is next to a large drop, attempt with great caution, in good conditions, in daylight only" you can assume it's at the top.

But it doesn't stop mad bleeders attempting to climb up, blindly following the needle, eh Paul? :)

Never used altitude for finding caches. GPS which record altitude do so from the satelites and has been said is not that accurate. My Vista C has a barometric altimeter which is very accurate - as long as you remember to set it to the correct pressure before leaving - which I always forget! I use an airband receiver to tune into Bristol airport and get the setting from there! Bit of a pain. So.... all that wizzy altimeter stuff in the Vista doesn't get used that much!

Chris

I know several people who use the altitude field to store other information about the cache - whether it's a micro or a multi, or the dif/ter ratings. I haven't figured out how to populate it automatically when loading from GSAK else I'd be using it myself; I don't think it's actually possible.

I can't seem to find the particular thread but I asked a similar question and it was brought to my attention that altitude doesn't figure into any navigation or distance readings on the GPSrs...in otherwords, they work in only the 2 dimensions of lat. & long.

which is kind of silly really when the cache could be 200 feet further up a hillside and still be only 30 feet away horizontally.