Adoption & Territory Issues...

Alright.. We have noticed this Trend here in Florida and Want to Know what Other Cacher's Think About it..

Is Stealing Someone Else's Cache Becoming the Next Big Thing?? Are the People who are doing this So Geo-Caching Challenged, that they Can't Find an Interesting Place to Bring People on Their Own, That they need to Hunt Down Someone Else's Idea and Steal It??

Here are a couple examples....

#1 - Getting a Cache "Archived" (The Owner's/Co-Owner's of the Archived Cache are Still Semi-Active..) Now Placing a New Cache in the Same Spot/Area as the Just Archived Cache..

#2 - Adopting a Cache.. Then Archiving it.. Then Replacing it with a new one of the same name and the same type of cache..

#3 - Telling a Fellow Cacher you just checked their cache and it's MIA.. That Cacher Archives it.. Then You See a Cache Just Pop's Up in the Same Area (Within Feet) of the Cache that was Just Reported MIA and Archived, by the Cacher's who said it was MIA..

#4 - Placing a Cache Outside of your Normal Territory (A Place You Dont Visit Frequently), and asking one of the Local's to Keep an eye on it..

Here is what we think....

#1 - We see this as just down right being Unethical.. There is really no other way to say it.. It's WRONG!!! Why is it Neccessary?? What is there to Truely Gain?? The Cache is Going to Show on Your Owned List No Matter What..

#2 - See #1..

#3 - See #1..

#4 - OK, So where are the Local's Suppose to Place Cache's?? We do not Agree with this Trend, for it basically Geo-Litter just waiting to happen.. We know about the "Vacation Placements" (not being allowed), but it seem's as if the Approver's are not paying attention to this small detail..

These are just a couple of Issues that have been happening here in Florida.. We Personally Find these Trend Disturbing and Are Just Wondering What Other's Think About this..

Thank You For Your Time

Lehigh Mafia

I don't see an issue with any of the of the circumstances. When a cache is archived, the area around it is fair game and open.

#1 "getting a cache archived".

How does one go about getting a well maintained, legally placed cache archived?

Well you generally can't. You can however get a cache archived if its missing and not replaced by the owner, or if the owner has left it in poor shape for a long time.

If the owner was concerned about his cache, he would have taken care of it. I say good riddance to the old cache.

#2 - Adopting a Cache.. Then Archiving it.. Then Replacing it with a new one of the same name and the same type of cache.

I really don't see the point of this, but I don't see anything wrong with it either. If you adopt a cache, its yours. You can archive it, or do whatever you want.

#3 - Telling a Fellow Cacher you just checked their cache and it's MIA. That Cacher Archives it...

So? The cache was missing and the owner archived it and opened up the area. If he was going to replace it he wouldn't have archived it. The finder thought it was a nice spot and placed his own. Great. Another cache in a nice spot.

#4 - Placing a Cache Outside of your Normal Territory (A Place You Dont Visit Frequently), and asking one of the Local's to Keep an eye on it..

Again, I don't see an issue. If a local is willing to take care of it, then great. If no local steps forward, then no cache. That's the policy.

Edited by briansnat

I haven't seen that sort of thing around here. Mostly I see abandoned caches. I'd be happy if more people archived their missing/unmaintained caches. I think what Brian says is right on.

The only similar instance I can recall is a cache a little ways from here that apparently went missing. The local approver archived it after the owner went missing. Subsequently, another cacher went out there, found that the container was still in place, and created his own listing for the cache, naming it the same as the original, adding a "part II" to the name. I would have preferred he had adopted the original, but that's not such a big deal and the owner was missing anyway.

Oh.. I know it's semantics, but trying to read a sentence where every word is capitalized is a little awkward. Where did you (plural) pick up that odd habit?

Jamie

Sounds like the basic issue is running out of caches to go on or area open to hide new ones. Haveing been at it for a few years, I'm slowing buying into the idea of retiring a cache after one year. This would answer your questions and I think benefit many areas from getting worn and following the path to the cache.

There are three caches in my area that have been missing for months. There are two others by that same hider that have problems.

I would be happy if that person would archive those caches so those areas could be opened up for caches of my own.

I would maintain them better if people left logs stating that the cache was "missing" or "wet" or "disturbed and scattered."

If more responsible cachers move into a good area for a cache, that seems like a good thing.

#1 - Getting a Cache "Archived" (The Owner's/Co-Owner's of the Archived Cache are Still Semi-Active..) Now Placing a New Cache in the Same Spot/Area as the Just Archived Cache..

Not a problem. If this a request is made and the local approver confirms there is a problem once the cache is archived it's now open for a new cache. If the archive request is bogus the approver should figure that out.

#2 - Adopting a Cache.. Then Archiving it.. Then Replacing it with a new one of the same name and the same type of cache..

Once you adopt a cache it's yours. Unless you have agreed to keep it active you can archive it at will. Replacing it with a clone is cheesy but valid.

#3 - Telling a Fellow Cacher you just checked their cache and it's MIA.. That Cacher Archives it.. Then You See a Cache Just Pop's Up in the Same Area (Within Feet) of the Cache that was Just Reported MIA and Archived, by the Cacher's who said it was MIA..

Once notified the cache owner should check up on the cache. If the requester has a history of bogus claims then they should discount the MIA notice. If the owner archives their cache on the word of another cacher without doing a double check they have not followed through as they should. If the MIA notice was a lie hopefully it's found out. If it can be poven to be a lie the new cache should be arvhied and the old one still there made active.

#4 - Placing a Cache Outside of your Normal Territory (A Place You Dont Visit Frequently), and asking one of the Local's to Keep an eye on it..1)

Perfectly valid. If the locals didn't have a cache there then anyone can place a cache there. Hopefully you line up a local to help maintain the cache before you place it. But you can also do it after, or put it up for adoption. Not everyone knows exactly where the approvers will draw the line on maintainable distance.

Edit: In other words what BrianSnat said.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Getting an abandoned cache archived and then placing your own can sometime be the quick method of adopting an orphan. I don't know why they would do number two, maybe they just want to get more visitors?? But in any case the ownerless cache gets taken care of (fixed, removed, whatever) and some interested active cacher places one.

Was the cache really there? Do you think the reporter is stealing them to opening things?? Otherwise I don't see what the problem is. If your going to fix / redo a cache, don't archive it, get in gear and do another one. If not, let someone else have a shot.

If they're not freqent visitors, in theory they have an agreement with someone to do the maintaince. If this isn't being done then lets go back to 1 and 2 and get this archived and taken over by someone else. If your reviewer isn't doing it 'right' ask them about it, if that doesn't work, report them and keep reporting them till your tossed or the area is given to another reviewer.

Where should the locals hide caches?

Well, they're there full time? can't they come up with some crafty ideas that others have overlooked?

If I understand the OP correctly (after boiling it down a bit) - what he is saying without quite saying it is: #1He believes that certain local cachers are stealing and destroying caches in order to get them archived so they can put one in its place. #2Further he believes that these same cachers troll for caches/owners that appear inactive in order to take the location for themselves.

If #1 is happening it seems very unethical. #2 Seems like a good idea as it would reduce geo-litter.

No - I've never seen anything like that around here.

Edited by StarBrand
Alright.. We have noticed this Trend here in Florida and Want to Know what Other Cacher's Think About it..

Is Stealing Someone Else's Cache Becoming the Next Big Thing?? Are the People who are doing this So Geo-Caching Challenged, that they Can't Find an Interesting Place to Bring People on Their Own, That they need to Hunt Down Someone Else's Idea and Steal It??

#3 - Telling a Fellow Cacher you just checked their cache and it's MIA.. That Cacher Archives it.. Then  You See a Cache Just Pop's Up in the Same Area (Within Feet) of the Cache that was Just Reported MIA and Archived, by the Cacher's who said it was MIA..

I don't See any stealing Going on Here. Only the Cache Owner or a Reviewer has The ability To archive a Cache. A third Party can only Suggest that A cache be Archived. In those Cases, the general practice is to Either keep a watch on It, or Disable it, giving The owner the Chance to fix it. Only if They haven't Fixed it After it's been Disabled for a While, or If they're long AWOL would it be Archived.

And no, I have no Idea why I'm pointlessly Capitalizing words, but it Seems to Be a theme With this Thread.

{snip}

{snip}

#4 - OK, So where are the Local's Suppose to Place Cache's?? We do not Agree with this Trend, for it basically Geo-Litter just waiting to happen.. We know about the "Vacation Placements" (not being allowed), but it seem's as if the Approver's are not paying attention to this small detail..

These are just a couple of Issues that have been happening here in Florida.. We Personally Find these Trend Disturbing and Are Just Wondering What Other's Think About this..

Thank You For Your Time

Lehigh Mafia

Permit me to quote from the Guidelines which the volunteers enforce:

If you have special circumstances, please describe these on your cache page or in a note to the reviewer. For example, if you have made arrangements with a local geocacher to watch over your distant cache for you, that geocacher’s name should be mentioned on your cache page.

If the caches you're complaining about say that they're being maintained by Geocacher XYZ, then this exception to the guideline has been satisfied and we would then publish the listing.

When I put caches on hold due to the vacation/maintainable distance guideline, it's incredible how geocachers suddenly are able to compose an argument in their reply e-mail, about how they're in the area constantly and will maintain the cache like it's a freshly waxed Ferrari -- even though they have no other cache finds in the state where they've just hidden a cache.

Mind if I forward all those e-mails to you?

Please clarify your statement in your item #4 as it relates to volunteer cache reviewers not doing their jobs. I'm curious to hear your reasoning in light of the Guideline provision I quoted.

#1 - We see this as just down right being Unethical.. There is really no other way to say it.. It's WRONG!!! Why is it Neccessary?? What is there to Truely Gain?? The Cache is Going to Show on Your Owned List No Matter What..

#2 - See #1..

#3 - See #1..

Thank You For Your Time

Lehigh Mafia

Well you know those local reviewers. Not worth their salt!

Imagine allowing a cache to be listed because it has a local to watch it and meets the guidelines. Who do they think they are. How dare they do something to allow a cacher to have fun. They should all be shot and replaced with people that have no sense of fun or how the game works. In fact I say we get rid of them all and have just one person do all the listing of the entire website. That way there is no chance of differences of opinion. Thats the best idea Ive seen yet. One person to list all caches. Hydee I think I have an idea here you need to consider!!!!!!! One person, one way of thinking, one way to do everything. Sounds great to be. God forbid we have reviewers that are allowed to interpret the guidelines as they apply to each cache and each area. No we cant have that, not at all.

Me thinks the op has to much time on their hands or needs a hobby.

Please clarify your statement in your item #4 as it relates to volunteer cache reviewers not doing their jobs.  I'm curious to hear your reasoning in light of the Guideline provision I quoted..

Ok.. A Cacher from Say Northern Florida is Down in South Florida For What Ever Reason.. They Place a Cache in an Area they Find Interesting.. There is No Notation on Their Cache Page that So-and-So is Watching This Cache for them.. Next Thing You Know, it Goes MIA for what ever reason.. There are a Number of DNF's Posted on the Cache Page.. E-mails are Sent to the Cacher in Question.. The Response Given back is... "I Don't Live In the Area, I Can't Check It, I'll Just Archive it"..

1st off, why was the Placement of this allowed?? If Placing Cache's Outside of your Normal Area keeps on.. Where are the Folks from that Area Going to Be Able to Place Caches?? We do not live in a Big City, So We are Semi-Limited to Where We Can Place Caches.. So is that Truely Fair for those of Us Who Live Here 24/7/365?? Before you know it the Local's are Either going to have to Drive Across the State to Place a Cache or just Not Be Able to Place Any..

Like We Said in the 1st Post.. These are just what we find Distrubing..