Fyi: To Help Keep Caches Dry

While out caching today, I came across a letterbox, and in the baggy with the log book was one of those small maybe charcoal filled things in the bag, they sometimes come with new shoes or other things that we have purchased and are in the bottom of the box. the paper and such in the bag were really dry feeling so maybe these do help.

These silica gel packets have been discussed before Silica Gel link .

They work ok at absorbing the small amounts of water vapor that may get into the ziplock when it's opened on humid days, but they won't help at all if the container isn't well sealed against rain and other water entry. They also become saturated fairly quickly so you'd need to plan on replacing them regularly (they can be dried out in an oven at low temperature and reused).

So they'll help keep a dry cache even drier as long as they're maintained, but they won't help a cache that's getting wet inside - you need a better sealed container to solve that problem.

While out caching today, I came across a letterbox, and in the baggy with the log book was one of those small maybe charcoal filled things in the bag, they sometimes come with new shoes or other things that we have purchased and are in the bottom of the box. the paper and such in the bag were really dry feeling so maybe these do help.

You're referring to calcium oxide or "Silica Gel" which is a dessicant. There's a reason they put "Do Not Eat" on those little packets.

I suspect this would be considered a hazardous substance, and though it would probably help keep the cache dry, I strongly encourage you not to put it in a cache. You never know when some kid (or moron) will come along and do this*.

* NOTE: No morons were harmed in the making of that picture--the moron depicted is me and the picture was staged for comedic effect. :laughing:

I suspect this would be considered a hazardous substance, and though it would probably help keep the cache dry, I strongly encourage you not to put it in a cache.  You never know when some kid (or moron) will come along and do this*.

Silica Gel is quite harmless. The reason the packets say "do not eat" may be because they are commonly used to keep food dry, and in that context, might be confused with food. Silica gel is extremely safe. It is just not edible, as most other things are also not edible. Just because a bouncy ball says "do not swallow" on the package doesn't mean that it is a toxic or is otherwise made of hazardous material, and that including one in a cache is a bad idea.

Silica gel is a great idea for keeping logbooks dry in moist climates! I highly encourage it.

I did some test with the Silica gel. And as stated, it will only absorb the water vapor unless the gel is touching the water. Then it absorbs it like a sponge and keeps it locked in. I used a larger than normal gel packet and it soaked up about half a cup of water (overnight), then placed it on a peice of paper. The paper stayed dry. Normaly the gel is "rechargable", but after absording that much water and 'recharging' it, it didn't feel the same; although it might still have worked fine.