Hidingtechniques And Containers

ww8ball

North Carolina cacher here, just got started caching and have found a few and hidden several. Wanted to go far away from the South for advice on possible regional techniques or ideas I can use in the South as to not be redundant. Any help would be great, thanx.....

Interesting idea to look "outside the box" so to speak.

Might help us if you let us know what the 'usual' hiding techniques and containers are for down there.

For instance, if we suggest hiding a micro in a cluster of Western Red Cedar cones and hiding it in a tree...and you don't have that tree or cones there, we'd look silly. :blink:

Besides, you sharing may help us as well...by giving us ideas we would never think of. <_<

I'd suggest e-mailing CurmudgeonlyGal and asking her for some advice. She recently moved from these parts to your parts. So she'd have a great idea of the kinds of hides we have and you have.

The best cache hides/containers out here people will be hesitant to share publicly because seekers of their caches also look here.

And don't let the name scare you off. She's actually a very nice lady.

Edited by Stump

Many lampposts have square aluminum aprons on them. Usually, the apron is movable vertically, so that the lamppost installer can get to the bolts holding the lamppost in place.

I've found more bison capsules hidden in lamppost aprons than I can count (including one of my own).

Whether this is a regional thing, I dunno. I thought it was pretty clever the first couple times I saw it.

Thanks Stump...

WW8Ball is about 60 miles east of me. They must have fewer cache out that way... :laughing:

Travis: you just keep on suggesting those lampost micro's. I've decided I will 'know' I'm a local cacher here the very first moment I think hiding a bison tube in the middle of a hardwood forest by attaching it to a tree with a wire tie is a GOOD thing.

I did a cache last week that made me long for 'home' and the caches found there. There was a swamp to negotiate (the first waypoint was out in the middle of it - nothing quite like The Belt or Boated Head, but more challenging than, say, the pavement in front of Starbucks)... tons of beaver downed trees to fuse to get out to the waypoint, a dam to tiptoe over and a big creek you needed to cross (only twice if you did it right). Dodging the nesting Blue Herons was an extra added bonus. They weren't too happy.

T'would have rated about a 2.5 on the difficulty scale in Grays Harbor. It was a wee bit higher here.

Anyway, it was juuuuuust nutty enough I found myself laughing and remembering why I REALLY like caching.

It's not the parking lot micro's that make me want to keep caching!

-=-

michelle

Travis: you just keep on suggesting those lampost micro's. I've decided I will 'know' I'm a local cacher here the very first moment I think hiding a bison tube in the middle of a hardwood forest by attaching it to a tree with a wire tie is a GOOD thing.

"Suggesting" is a bit strong. What I intended to imply by my post is "I thought it was pretty clever the first couple times I saw it. ... but the tenth and eleventh times it had become really lame."

If I never search for a bison capsule in the woods again, it'll be too soon.

Funny coincidence. I just returned from a week in Asheville, where I got to do a little caching. I did a few suburban park caches, quite a few roadside drive-ups, and a few short mountain trail caches. One common theme I found was soggy logs. For regular caches, I suggest you introduce ammo cans and/or lcok-n-locks to your part of the world. Gladware, pill bottles, and unsheltered key holders just don't make it in the out of doors.

Of the twenty three caches I found there was very little sophistication, though that may be because I did only a couple of really urban caches.

Send me an email and I can describe a lot of the crazy stuff I've seen around here. I won't describe any of it on the forums for obvious reasons. :ph34r:

Many lampposts have square aluminum aprons on them. Usually, the apron is movable vertically, so that the lamppost installer can get to the bolts holding the lamppost in place.

I've found more bison capsules hidden in lamppost aprons than I can count (including one of my own).

Whether this is a regional thing, I dunno. I thought it was pretty clever the first couple times I saw it.

I recall the stench of your pressed shirt and slacks in the depths of the bog here. Hide your easy microcaches you fetid sack of butter, the real cache you failed to find mocks you from the slough. Challenge seems to frighten you, no? It will not be long before I reopen the swamp. In the meantime, play the numbers game that gives you no real satisfaction.

All my love

E.