Is There A Program To Edit Gpx Files

Some cache pages have a lot of useless print and I'd like to edit it out

before putting it in my PDA.

That way when I'm at a cache I just see the vital information.

Is there a program that can do this?

Here is an example of a verbose page.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d3-bf3f01bd89b0 <_<

I've tweaked files exported by BMGPX (a program that converts NGS Benchmark Data Sheet files to GPX) and once had to remove an illegal character from a PQ that was choking one of my programs. GPX files are plain text XML files so you can edit them with a text editor. But it's not for the faint of heart! XML is very structured and follows strict rules, so hand editing might introduce a typo that makes the file unuseable.

Some cache pages have a lot of useless print and I'd like to edit it out before putting it in my PDA.

Here is an example of a verbose page.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d3-bf3f01bd89b0 :blink:

If you use Cachemate on your Palm, it does that for you. It has the cache info divided up into a page with just the barest of info about the cache. Then a page for the Past Logs, and a page where you can log your own information about the cache, and a page for the Hint, and lastly the "Overview," which has all the info.

It is easy enough to scroll through that, but sometimes a lengthy page offers subtle hints in the text. <_<

I have more than 600 caches on my Palm and still haven't used up very much of the Palm memory for Cachemate files.

Some cache pages have a lot of useless print and I'd like to edit it out before putting it in my PDA.

GSAK added this feature on the last release. Right click on any waypoint and you can edit the short and long descriptions and the hints.

What are you transferring to your PDA, the GPX file you receive in a PQ? Or are you pre-processing it on your computer first?

You can, if you want, edit a GPX file in any text editor as it's 100% text. You can do a search for the text that matches the start of what you want to snip out and then cut out the text from there to you want to keep, save the GPX and send it to your PDA.

I guess it would depend on how much and how often you want to do this.

if you want, edit a GPX file in any text editor as it's 100% text. You can do a search for the text that matches the start of what you want to snip out and then cut out the text from there to you want to keep, save the GPX and send it to your PDA.

I'm not sure what you mean by 100% text, I looked at a gpx file with a file viewer and it looked like a lot of html stuff that one would have to excise with presision. :laughing:

a basic text editor will do the trick too.

[edit]

oops. took too long to post my reply the above has already been stated in more ways than one.

html IS text...nothing really special about it that needs excising. Just chop out what you don't need or want. Be adventurous. :laughing:

Edited by Deneye