April Statistics

holograph

Humm.  I just noticed the stats don't match up.

The stats page has 29874 for gc.com, where as the geocaching.com/mark page has "Overall, 61808 benchmarks have been recovered in 84401 logs. " listed.  Where's the other half?  :(

I don't attempt to capture all geocachers, only those who have reported to the NGS and a few others who are known for high tallies or who have requested to be included in the statistics.

I don't have any way to locate all Geocachers who have logged benchmarks -- there is no query that would return that list -- and there are many geocachers who have logged one or two benchmarks while visiting a cache, but who don't make a general practice of hunting benchmarks.

I'm happy to include anyone who wants to be included (or to exclude anyone who wants to be excluded), but I have only a limited ability to find people who don't step forward.

Darn you ArtMan! You are in the lead with NGS recoveries now.

Thanks, Matt. I've been going through some of my old logs that were never sent to NGS. If I went to the trouble of visiting some of these exotic locations, might as well let the public benefit from my so-called knowledge.

-Art-

A very interesting page, thanks for the work.

I notice that in the list of Missouri's newest stations is DG7734. At one time, the NGS listed this in Cole Co but they have corrected that to C of St Louis. But your list still lists it as MO/COLE. Are these lists being updated automatically based on your updates?

A very interesting page, thanks for the work.

I notice that in the list of Missouri's newest stations is DG7734. At one time, the NGS listed this in Cole Co but they have corrected that to C of St Louis. But your list still lists it as MO/COLE. Are these lists being updated automatically based on your updates?

Yes, they are automatic, but they aren't necessarily the same as what you retrieve on the PID query page. I downloaded the complete annual archive, and then each month I download the monthly updates. The NGS updates the online datasheets continually, but only archives the monthly updates at the end of the month, so there is a possibility that the online datasheet is more up to date that what I've downloaded. Also, not every region of the country is archived to the annual archive at the same time, so there is a regional stagger to the updates.

Each month I merge the annual and monthly files by combining all the downloads and then keep the one with the most recent recovery date if the datasheet was present in multiple downloads. I realize now that if the only change to the datasheet was to the county, the newer datasheet could have the same recovery date as the older sheet, and so one will be essentially randomly kept and the other(s) discarded.

I haven't checked to see if that might be the problem, but when I have time, I'll redo the merge routine to keep the one from the latest monthly update, if everything else is equal. Good catch.

I've GOT to go back and get the approporiate GC recoveries into NGS. I know at least some of them are unique (old / seldome visited ones, tops of peaks, etc.). Time is always the problem....

Thanks for all the hard work holodude. It might help get my butt in gear to help out the NGS.

Censored!

My last post, "d--m straight" did not appear as I typed it. For some reason the forum software replaced the word I chose to use with a quaint euphemism I have never used, and in fact have never heard except perhaps in a 1948 radio broadcast of The Lone Ranger.

I want to be very clear that "dadgum" is not in my vocabulary!

Are there any other words we're not allowed to use?

I'm tempted to fill out the rest of this post with a large number of other rude words to see which ones are allowed and which are replaced.

-ArtMan-

Congrats to:

Artman

Mloser

BuckBrooke

Z15, and,

PFF.

All of you are ahead of me. Enjoy it while you can.

Will

LOL! Go for it!

My search time falls off during summer months because that's when real estate is hopping. However, I'm still trying to do 5-10 a week. I see I moved up from #15 to #13 on Geocaching, and I'm holding on to the #2 spot on YTD/NGS. As someone observered earlier, I can hunt year-round because I don't have to contend with snow. :laughing:

-Paul-

Yep, thanks holograph.

Yep you better get um daggnabbitt.

or some other llllllllllllgrabbbittt.

I gotta lota back logging to do.

I did not think it important then.

Or start over and do it again.

I like the extreme page.........got one and looking into others.

Thanks again all I am been relum busy lately.

Need to get back to the HOBBY PART of it.

But thanks to the Missouri Geology Department have been really learning alot about the Karst geology.

I have now been on 7 elecro Reflectivity tests.

Dadgum it, Black Dog, I may have sent recovery reports to NGS on stations you found before me, but only on the day or day after I found them as well (and I don't think I've covered any of your FTFs since I started reporting to the NGS).

Although I have no objection to ArtMan/Klemmer/anybody going back and reporting (slightly) stale recoveries (I think an earlier discussion concluded that we could go back up to one year validly), I have elected not to do ex post facto NGS recoveries. Too dadgum lazy.

Shouldn't it be "dadgummed"?

We seem to have lost a couple of formerly heavy participants.

No 2005 recoveries for Colorado Papa, W4REZ, and several others. Hope Papa didn't try a solo on that volcano cone he's been wanting to scale, and that our military buddy REZ didn't get shipped overseas.

-Paul-

Interesting, Holograph. Thanks for the effort. Hmm... And I have eight recoveries to the NGS from last month not listed yet. Oh, well. Of course, it's not about the numbers... :ph34r:

You know, there were 8 recoveries I submitted on Feb 20 that still haven't appeared. That was around the time that NGS was having trouble with their servers, and I'm feeling more and more certain that they lost those recovery reports. A recovery I submitted March 29 did make it into the datasheet, but that group on Feb 20 seem lost.

I see my user name on the list. I'm not sure how it got there. The only NGS reports that I have done have been a few destroyed marks. I started posting a few of my old ones with JDS initials so I might get something besides 0's behind my name.

I see my user name on the list. I'm not sure how it got there. The only NGS reports that I have done have been a few destroyed marks. I started posting a few of my old ones with JDS initials so I might get something besides 0's behind my name.

You're there because I put you there, not because of any NGS reports you submitted. When I started gathering the Geocaching stats, I wanted to include people who were pretty active, even if they didn't submit NGS reports, so that the Geocaching "ranking" wasn't unfairly skewed in favor of NGS reporters.

I did a brief look through the benchmarking forums to see who was posting, and then looked to see if they had a significant number of Geocaching logs. If the number of their Geocaching logs was large enough to affect the upper ranks of the statistics, I tried to include them. There was no science involved, nor any assurance that I've found the most active non-reporters.

If being on the list makes you uncomfortable, let me know and I'll take you off.

My recent recoveries seem to be showing up in a month or less. I'd say yours are "destroyed."

-ArtMan-

I just took a quick look at my logs for the last few months........I guess mine are being 'destroyed' also. I had two finds in December 2004 that do not appear on either the NGS or Geocache logs. My recent reports from the last 60ish days are showing up on Geocache and on NGS but the NGS posts are not acknowledged on the stats page of 04 May. Hmmmmm...........